Silverspeed

How to photograph watches

Silverspeed

How to take photos of your watch.

We have all seen some amazing photos of watches on the different boards. In this tutorial I will try to give a few basic and simple tips

on how to take good quality photos of your watch. First off all the equipment...you'll need a digital camera and off course a watch... :Doh:

To take good photos there is absolutely no need to buy an expensive DSLR camera and lenses worth thousands of $...any decent Point and Shoot

digital camera can produce amazing quality watch photos. So this tutorial is based on a normal Point and Shoot digital camera. In my case a Sony Cyber Shot.

So put your watch on the table grab your point and shoot digital camera put it on auto and click away..... :Shocked:

DSC02286kopie.jpg

DSC02287kopie.jpg

Ah crap :wacko: ...the pics are rubbish aren't they??? :facepalm: ...so what went wrong?

Well first a few basics principles on photography..

Photography is all about light....and focussing

first there was light....

There are 3 factors that determine the amount of light which enters your camera

1. Shutterspeed = how long the camera shutters stays open when you take a picture...long shutterspeed will blur the shot

2. Aperture (f/Stop) = how long the eye/iris of your lens opens up...adjusting the aperture also changes Depth Of Field (DoP)

fstop.jpg

DoP = how much of the area is in focus.

depthoffield.jpg

3. ISO = a measurement of how sensitive your camera's sensor is to light...the larger the ISO, the more sensitive it is to light

which is good for photo is low light, but it also generates much more grain

iso.jpg

When photographing a small object like a watch with all those details it,s very important to have good light and to get the object well focussed

in order to get as much details as possible in your picture.

A light tent is ideal for watch photography so we'll need one of those, a light tent can easily be made from a cardboard like this http://digital-photography-school.com/how-...sive-light-tent

diy-lightbox.jpg

or if you're lazy, like me, buy one cheaply from ebay . Since photographing is all about light we need some lamps and a couple 0f 100w

lightbolbs. And last but certainly not least you need something to stabilize the camera with.... preferably a tripod

again you can buy one these for a few $ on ebay.

tripod.jpg

here's my set up....the lightbulbs I use are photographic daylight lightbulbs, but a 100W lightbulb will do just fine...

IMG_4300kopie.jpg

IMG_4301kopie.jpg

So we now have:

1. digital camera

2. a watch

3. light tent

4. light

5. tripod

....we're good to go...oh one last thing clean your watch before you take pictures of...it'll be a real shame to have a good shot of a watch covered

in smudges, fingerprints, body fluids etc.....clean the damn thing... very important!

Now we need to set up the camera. Obviously the set up depends on your camera so read the manual if needed.

1. First and most important turn off the damn flash!!

...in a light tent you definitely don't need a flash, in any other circumstance if you need the flash to take a watch photo...don't

bother to take the photo but wait for better light! So now the flash is off.

2. Then you want to set the camera in the macro setting, usually there's a flower

symbol to indicate the macro setting. In macro the camera will take the photo with much more detail and allows you to zoom in closer on the watch.

macro-icon.jpg

3. Most point and shoot camera's have a self timer setting...Use it!! Combining the tripod and the self timer setting you will stabilize your camera

the best way possible

selftimer-icon.jpg

So now with your camera set up, the watch in the light tent...we're good to go. Focus on the watch, press the button, stand back since we're

using the self timer....and presto your watch photo is ready!!!!! :beer2:

DSC02291kopie.jpg

And a little more zoomed in on the object...

DSC02292kopie.jpg

Again a bit more zoomed in on the object...

DSC02293kopie.jpg

Hopefully you'll agree these look much better. These are straight out of the camera, untouched with photo software.

It'll be nice to know that every good photographer has taken tens, hundreds even thousands of shots to get a couple of good shots....so as with most

things in life...practise makes perfect. Practise this for a while and try out different shutterspeeds and apertures to get the hang of what light

does to a photo and how to use it to get the result you want.

Again don't be surprised if it takes a hundred shots before you're satisfied.

The good thing about practising a lot is that you don't have to do much with photo software to touch things up. If you want use photo software

there's free Picasa which is pretty good or you can use Photo Shop Elements....Photo Shop CS4 or CS6 is overkill imo

So basically if you understand the importance of good light (did I mention this before the importance of good light..?? :Whistle: ), getting the camera stable and focussed on the object there's not much that can go wrong :rofl:

Hopefully this little tutorial helps.

• Like 1

sconehead

I'm going to study this SS, great post...:rofl:

greg_r

Great tutorial, Silver!

I hope you're going to enter the tute/review competition with this :rofl:

Instant sticky btw

sticky.jpg

iabounty

Thats a great deal of helpful information for people like me that used the flash, didn't know what the tulip was and have shakey camera hands......

dingle

AWESOME POST!...................finally.....:rofl:

.......now I have to find a tent and some of those curly pig tail looking light bulbs.......thanks SS. :rofl:

ebzen02
AWESOME POST!...................finally.....:D

.......now I have to find a tent and some of those curly pig tail looking light bulbs.......thanks SS. :rofl:

Two thumbs and two big toes for you SS!!! Great tutorial!

PCSAM

a great simple post showing how to do it ..........well done mate great work .....................

q5?

Thanks a bunch! Very good tips indeed.

KinCaidk

Good tutorial mate. Very helpful - especially for a bloke who just bought his first point and shoot, some weeks ago. :D

I'm getting a tent too!

Pix

Thx for that, it's true taht shooting watches is a full part of our hobby.

May I also suggest that you clean your watch before shooting : it avoids nasty fingerprints and dusts :lol:

dingle

SS--where did you get your tent? the cardboard box looks to "redneck" for me.....:lol:

KBH
AWESOME POST!...................finally..... :lol:

.......now I have to find a tent and some of those curly pig tail looking light bulbs.......thanks SS. :thumbsup:

Walmart sells a fold up light box kit that has the tent, 2 lights, tripod and 2 different colored backgrounds for around $20. You can't beat it.

dingle
AWESOME POST!...................finally..... :lol:

.......now I have to find a tent and some of those curly pig tail looking light bulbs.......thanks SS. :thumbsup:

Walmart sells a fold up light box kit that has the tent, 2 lights, tripod and 2 different colored backgrounds for around $20. You can't beat it.

walmart? for real?........I hate going to wal-mart, but I will need to make a special trip just for this.

thanks B. :)

Luthier

We don't have Walmart in L.A., I think...

greg_r

4101 Crenshaw Blvd

Los Angeles, CA 90008,

Walmart is everywhere. Including over here (except it's called Asda here). We stay well away, but our daughter seems to live there...

Luthier

4101 Crenshaw Blvd

Los Angeles, CA 90008,

Walmart is everywhere. Including over here (except it's called Asda here). We stay well away, but our daughter seems to live there...

Crenshaw is very expensive area, Greg, need to spend at least a few grands on machine guns and ammo, plus bulletproof windows for your car, then, and only then whites can go there.

:lol:

greg_r

4101 Crenshaw Blvd

Los Angeles, CA 90008,

Crenshaw is very expensive area, Greg, need to spend at least a few grands on machine guns and ammo, plus bulletproof windows for your car, then, and only then whites can go there.

:lol:

Well, you got another 8 to choose from in LA alone.... :thumbsup:

Luthier

1. Los Angeles, CA 90008

2. Panorama City, CA 91402

3. West Hills, CA 91307

4. Rosemead, CA 91770

5. Porter Ranch, CA 91326

6. Pico Rivera, CA 90660

7. Torrance, CA 90501

8. Paramount, CA 90723

9. Norwalk, CA 90650

10. Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670

11. Duarte, CA 91010

12. Lakewood, CA 90712

13. Stevenson Ranch, CA 91381

14. Baldwin Park, CA 91706

15. Santa Clarita, CA 91350

16. Cerritos, CA 90703

17. Long Beach, CA 90808

18. Long Beach, CA 90802

19. La Habra, CA 90631

20. Santa Clarita, CA 91355

Only 1 in L.A., and it's Crenshaw. Others - quite far, 20-30 miles from Hollywood.

greg_r

You got a car don't you? :lol:

excuses, excuses.... :)

Anyhow, you said "we don't have Walmart in LA" You said nothing about Hollywood. Well, you do have Walmart in LA. The fact that you don't want to go there is your problem (and I don't blame you - I wouldn't either! :thumbsup: )

dingle
You got a car don't you? :lol:

excuses, excuses.... :rofl:

Anyhow, you said "we don't have Walmart in LA" You said nothing about Hollywood. Well, you do have Walmart in LA. The fact that you don't want to go there is your problem (and I don't blame you - I wouldn't either! :) )

wal-mart is online. 0 miles to travel. :thumbsup:

lildaddym

I took a different route...I don't own a point-and-shoot yet, and I don't have a tent...don't use it often enough to justify a purchase.

What I did was used one of my DSLRs and a flash, bounced off the ceiling, with the exposure compensated for.

I plan on writing a review on this rep...

01-94%203.jpg

01-94%204.jpg

For those of you that want the specifics, if you have an EXIF viewer you can see them.

Michael

dingle

Very nice Michael. Be sure to post your review in the giveaway section by 3/31. :thumbsup2:

watchwing

professional person at take photoes

TAGster

Great thread!, I will get my light tent asap.

I used to take pictures in my kitchen countertop which is white and using the natural light from the window.

The other day tried to make some photos using my dinner table (brown) to try to give a nice dark background to my pics, but the photos went not so well: I had to use the flash with my macro lens and the result was images revealing may scratches on my watches, I do not liked that at all.

I see you, also knows the DPS website, I am a forum member there too, he he.

Edited by TAGster

Baldrick

Anyone ever see TTK's photo setup, if not, here it is, that's a big tripod and a big ball and socket head :)

image1-1.jpg

image3-2.jpg

image5-1.jpg

image6-1.jpg

image8-1.jpg

lights2.jpg