dudermania

IWC Portuguese Automatic 5001 ZF Version

dudermania

Received the IWC Portuguese Automatics and really can't believe these aren't gens. I know there are some anally retentive psycho's here who will put their watch under a microscope and place virtual gridlines on their dials to see if all the numbers are in alignment - but as reps go - I don't think it gets better than this.

The movement itself is a feat of engineering - I think rep technology is near the point where from a mechanical perspective you do question how genuine movement manufacturers justify their pricing on these movements. So far I've had the watch for around 3 days and the power reserve is working fantastic. This version is generally supposed to run for 100hrs give or take. Pretty fantastic.

So I splurged and went to the local IWC boutique and bought an original OEM strap for the black watch and a brown Santoni for the white face. Both straps further enhance the feel of the watch.

Enough chat - on to the pictures.

IMG_0585_zpsfuj7gdmr.jpg

IMG_0587_zpsnhfepwzn.jpg

IMG_0589_zpsroeikebg.jpg

Duzza

Whilst these do look excellent bear n mind the movement is a cheap Chinese job with a plate over the movement to mimic the real thing and a few mods.From a mechanical perspective they are night and day.

Edited by Duzza

Beerfridge

Here we go again!

I thought my wallet was safe for a little while. Ive been looking at these for a while, but seeing them (particularly whitey) on some nice leather, has just officially tipped me over the edge. Fu*#ing Western Union lady might be getting worried about me anyway.........

Wear them in good health Dude.

Phantomtech

Wow the white dial!! yummy

dudermania

Whilst these do look excellent bear n mind the movement is a cheap Chinese job with a plate over the movement to mimic the real thing and a few mods.From a mechanical perspective they are night and day.

I'm not saying its job done on the movement being equal to the genuine. What I'm saying is that SOME rep world movements are coming to point where operationally they work just as well as the gens that they are supposed to be mimicing. If you 'pop the hood' you'll find all manners of difference I give you that, but functionality wise its a step up. And its only getting better with the variations they continually come up with over the years.

theflyingdutchman

Good to hear that you have no rotor/movement issues like others have!

onzenuub

Beautiful watches you've bought. Have fun wearing those.

dudermania

Good to hear that you have no rotor/movement issues like others have!

So far so good. Touch wood!

Phantomtech

On all the dealer sites and most of the uploaded photos the dial color of the white dial looks really white, which gives it a blah boring look, and thats the main reason holding me back from purchasing, but on your photos the dial has a silvery shine to it which makes it look "alive".

So, which is it?? Any more different angle shots of the white? I can't get enough of your two photos!

theJLC

amazing classic design :)

dudermania

<p>

</p>

<p>On all the dealer sites and most of the uploaded photos the dial color of the white dial looks really white, which gives it a blah boring look, and thats the main reason holding me back from purchasing, but on your photos the dial has a silvery shine to it which makes it look "alive".</p>

<p> </p>

<p>So, which is it?? Any more different angle shots of the white? I can't get enough of your two photos!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p> </p>

<div class="post entry-content">Hi the ZF version that I have isn't pure white, it has a slightly off-white tone which makes in line with the genuine. There's also a slight hint of silver in the sub-dials. I'll take some pictures and share them with you this evening</div>

Phantomtech

Thanks that helped!

cragglemiester

They are stunning, adding that to the Want list of watches lol

rmbp

Could you share the approximate price of the Santoni please?

GenTLe

Finally got mine too :)

It is amazing and looks larger than from first pics.

Movement is smooth and date is centered.

Only thing I need to fix are the hands: the date start to change at 8.30pm and fully click at 10pm... Not a big deal I hope ;)

Ah well... And the strap is cheap crap:)

theflyingdutchman

400-500€

onzenuub

Only thing I need to fix are the hands: the date start to change at 8.30pm and fully click at 10pm... Not a big deal I hope ;)

Pics dammit.

Phantomtech

Here is mine :) Thanks for the inspiration OP

g8R69E.jpg

Edited by Phantomtech

GenTLe

Pics dammit.

When I will fix it :)

rmbp

400-500€

Thanks! But ouch.

graman

Wow!!! Love the black!!!

theJLC

400-500€

Thanks! But ouch.

The oem is about 350 sooo...

GenTLe

Ok, I fixed the hands so that the date change is midnight sharp and I regulated it.

It looks a well made movement to me. It is stable face up, vertical crown left, up and right. It gains around 10s/d when face down.

It autowinds in both directions (like an eta 2824, unlike the Miyota ones or the 775x).

The stem is easy to extract and reinsert with a bit of care that is always needed in this task, starting from time regulation position.

It looked clean, but a bit dry of oil... I put a bit of Moebius ones where I could (didn't want to service it for now).

At the beginning I thought that the bezel has to be removed to extract it from the case, but luckily the case back removal is enough.

Now some pic.

Before and after regulation:

b4ae28cca8ed5d7ca8ea4709b53ecf99.jpg

a026b08e23c1b5e2cccc8c10489839f9.jpg

1face653d7e1f1729e0e984aba1463d9.jpg

36bcc411c203de0a00410efdb3073481.jpg

77041fdcdad885a72c2a95e718733d7f.jpg

1c9defb3c6edd607da91f8c6581c00f2.jpg

A couple of pics of the movement and hands alignment after the repositioning.

91bbf44ad2b4262a5de41a9fa5e1b6d2.jpg

ae016b9aa4d1abda621daa409642b101.jpg

4a2e6d1ab05550cc04bc59895c61427c.jpg

Cheers, GenTLe

theflyingdutchman

Interesting! And would inch a service cost me?

GenTLe
Interesting! And would inch a service cost me?

I suppose around the same amount of what requested for a 2836. Maybe 20Eur more due to the power reserve complication.

But I don't work on watches other than mines:) there are trusted watch techs in the TD list :)