Sign in to follow this  
ineeda

Best/Super-Rep amongst all the IWC Series?

ineeda

Considering getting a IWC as a second replica. Would like to know which are the super-reps for IWC. Can't find much info though..still reading up on IWC.

Thanks!

Wriggles

+10000000 Sav

Does no-one understand the concept of search and read anymore

Dssd

I just bought this one from a different forum

A70062B6-F2AB-403D-908A-54CEAA98C905-1456-000000A3FB70C83A.jpg

C2B2FDEB-F417-41E5-AF01-8D6C92890F45-1456-000000A4035D8DEC.jpg

olavl

Dssd, that is beautiful. How much did it cost you? (please pm your source)

Heisenberg

There is a more accurate looking version of this watch with a faux pr that doesn't have a recessed date wheel.

Heisenberg

This is the one I have on its way from Toro.

PiBbsRE.jpg

fNuQ0Wu.jpg

ineeda

Portofino's and Portuguese series super reps are hard to find too.

Member X

Check out Concepta if you have a grand or more to spend.

Kaiser

The IWC Vintage Ingenieur may be considered a "super rep", the BP although a great watch (I have one myself) ït is by no means a "super rep"

yawn

339uctv.jpg

This, I v seen a real one at malaysia airport, i was inspecting the watch closely and cannot tell any differences between the real one and my rep. edges feel the same, sweeping hand, dials, general finish of the case etc, i m waiting for the gen strap arrive so I will have another super rep in my collecion.

johnnyloco

PiBbsRE.jpg

fNuQ0Wu.jpg

Yikes that is really nice

11fajado

I'm keen on this IWC. Any more QC photos? I'm really anal about the alignment of the dates in the window.

ghoststar

IWC doesn't really have super-reps. There are a couple that are generally considered super reps, but compared to the super-reps of Rolex or Breitling, IWC super-reps are still a bit lagging.

zelhomer

Any updates?

JSJ

I reckon the 3777 is not a bad attempt. Any tells?

Here's mine with the recently acquired (from M2M) bracelet which I really do prefer, having worn it with a great quality leather strap for a few weeks.

IMG_20140311_084813_zpsee3b9026.jpg

As a bonus to its stunning looks, I've been able to regulate it to near-quartz accuracy too (while I'm wearing it, which I do mostly). +/- about a second a week.

dannyw

I reckon the 3777 is not a bad attempt. Any tells?

Here's mine with the recently acquired (from M2M) bracelet which I really do prefer, having worn it with a great quality leather strap for a few weeks.

IMG_20140311_084813_zpsee3b9026.jpg

As a bonus to its stunning looks, I've been able to regulate it to near-quartz accuracy too (while I'm wearing it, which I do mostly). +/- about a second a week.

wondering how you manage to regulate it to +- 1 sec/week?

JSJ

wondering how you manage to regulate it to +- 1 sec/week?

I'm working up to writing a thread on basic regulating of a 7750. I have 7 now and they are all regulated down to -0/+5 a day. I know that on here there are a few confident tinkerers and some who are more than that but I honestly believe that most could regulate their watches if they want.

Not wishing to thread crap here, I will just write a quick overview of the process. Sorry if this is too much for "Best IWC Super-Rep". It is my 3777 in the pic so I hope it's kind of relevant. Same process I have used for the Portugueses too.

2014-02-17_1839_zps0cc91616.png

Set the watch with an accurate reference clock - I use a radio clock which has a ticking seconds hand so I can listen to it as I set the watch.

Check the watch over a 24 hour period to see where you are. Wear it if you can for this.

Take the caseback off. This can be a big deal for some I believe. I mostly use a sticky ball. Don't use a screwdriver (I see M2M watches where this has happened).

Don't touch anything inside yet and especially don't touch the balance wheel.

Carefully work out where the bits are on the movement by looking at the picture. Take a macro picture of the starting point of the regulators

1. Fine adjustment + to make the watch run faster, - to make it run slower.

2. Coarse adjustment (two dots) clockwise to speed up, anticlockwise to slow down the watch. VERY small adjustments to this make a VERY BIG difference, so tiny touches are needed.

3. Don't touch this one

4. While you have the back off, you might as well check that the movement retentions screws and rotor screw are tight. Nothing to do with regulation but I have found these loose on several reps I have opened.

Use an app to check the timing of the watch if you have one. I use Clock Tuner on Android. This gives you a way of short-cutting the number of regulation cycles but won't be accurate enough for 5 seconds a day in my experience.

If the watch is more than about 15 seconds a day out, set lever 1 to the centre and then adjust lever 2. Remember - TINT movements of this will make a HUGE difference to the timing of the watch, so careful!

Repeat the timing and adjustment cycles.

Wear the watch to even out the positions - watches change speed due to gravity, so you can adjust face down, caseback down, 3, 9 and 12 down. Wearing it for a normal day evens this out and you can get it within a few seconds a day quite easily.

The last few seconds a day can take longer but it's worth it. I'm wearing the 3777 now and it has not been adjusted for a week. Yesterday it lost about a second but the day before it had gained just over a second, so that was fine. It is currently at about -0.5 seconds against the radio clock.

Oh and if you are not wearing the watch, either hack it (stop it by pulling out the crown) or wind it. If it goes lower on power, it will start to lose.

Patience is good in this game...

Having gone this far, I might start an new thread soon with a few more pics. Hope this helps.

edigital

Thanks for the information on regulating a7750. would be interested to read more.

profsteve

Heisenberg, which model IWC is that you ordered from TORO?

Serge D

yja6a6a2.jpg

My baby, fully moded by vac, AR, Lume, datewheel and regulated. One of my favorites.

h2c

would iw3717 pilot chrono be considered a super rep?

KarmaToBurn
would iw3717 pilot chrono be considered a super rep?

I would consider it one and I absolutely love mine. Why not find the model you like and do a search in the IWC section? It's full of detailed reviews for almost all the reps.

3717-4.jpg

Tichymeloun

This one is nearly 1:1, the only tell is, that the middle circles of the subdials are popping-up on the rep, but are sunken on the gen. A few fellows complained about the colour of the dial, but having the gen and rep next to each other, there is nearly no diference.

image_zpslzfclv6v.jpg