Sign in to follow this  
elmerlo

Hamilton Frogman 2016 (H77605135) review and pics

elmerlo

Fell in love with this as soon as I saw it after Baselworld. Since I have a friend in the local Hamilton/Tag/IWC store, I asked to be notified as soon as it showed up.

When it arrived, the decision was quickly made: I made a head-to-head comparison with the Tag Aquaracer ceramic, also a nice piece, but this is way too attractive compared to the Tag, which is a nice Submariner clone/modernization, and might enter my collection in the future (and if the Rep is released, I will go for the Rep straightaway...).

I spare you the story of the Frogman, which can be found on the official site: let's talk about the watch straightaway.

It's a bold, thick piece of metal, one of the things I like about a diver: 204 grams with all the links in place (186 minus 4 links). It's solid, feels solid, a pleasure to wear.

The crown guard mechanism is huge, and you have to like it, otherwise move on. BTW, this creates the only "minus" I will give to the watch. Once opened, it's not easy to operate the crown itself, as the guard is near and opens only 30-40 degrees, so you have little space for the fingers. But, overall, since the movement has a 80 hours power reserve, you shouldn't reach for the crown very often.

The bezel is great: stiff and precise, 120 clicks, with markers spot-on. Another thing I liked about this watch is the bold lettering. If you take a look around, the standard style (Rolex Sub, Steinhart, Omega) is about relatively skinny fonts, that is not the case here!

Lume is astonishing, one of the best I have, I think it is even more effective than the Seiko divers.

One thing I would change is the clasp: nothing wrong with it, but I would prefer one with the double lock, this is standard, like the Pilot, only with diver extension.

On to the pics, starting with the box you find inside the cardboard...

P1030577_zpsd7s5gniz.jpg

In all its glory:

P1030580_zpsa47bjez9.jpg

Dial: see how it already glows...

P1030581_zpsxymhy44n.jpg

LOCK! :)

P1030583_zpshxd0ochj.jpg

Wristie:

P1030587_zpsov4orq7r.jpg

Powerful, clear, crisp, lume:

P1030588_zps0zfi8b7r.jpg

ShovelnTC

Love everything about it except the crown guard lock, just haven't warmed to chunky crown guards yet.

Enjoy your Hammy!

markeym3

This is a great looking watch ..

Do you have a side on wrist shot to get the thickness .. starting to get into Hamiltons .. hell of a range .

Enjoy ..

tonyh7

Aside from the crown guard the style reminds me a little of the recent Tudors, a bit bb pelagossy if you know what I mean. How much do these retail for?

elmerlo

This is a great looking watch ..

Do you have a side on wrist shot to get the thickness .. starting to get into Hamiltons .. hell of a range .

Enjoy ..

Sorry, forgot that shot and put the camera away :(

But it's a 12.5 mm, in the range of the Omega PO.

Aside from the crown guard the style reminds me a little of the recent Tudors, a bit bb pelagossy if you know what I mean. How much do these retail for?

This is listed at 995 €, but discounts can be up to 20% here in Italy.

Del

Looks great! :thumbsup2:

Gazzla

I like it! :D

elmerlo

Here is the side wrist shot (crappy phone pic):

DSC_1905_zpsb72xvkhb.jpg

Notice the sticker cover still on the clasp :D

WatchDog21

Very nice. I have been gaining interest in Hamilton and it runs a good chance of my next purchase. I just followed your link and saw that it is also available in blue!

Congrats! :clap:

TheSav

I'm not sure about the crown guard but it's a good looking watch regardless. Very toolish. I really like the bezel.

elmerlo

Very nice. I have been gaining interest in Hamilton and it runs a good chance of my next purchase. I just followed your link and saw that it is also available in blue!

Be careful with the Blue: I was disappointed when I saw it live, and the guy at the store told me that others have expressed concerns about the quality...Especially the dial: it's not very dark, and, most of all, not the same blue of the bezel. :(

WatchDog21

Be careful with the Blue: I was disappointed when I saw it live, and the guy at the store told me that others have expressed concerns about the quality...Especially the dial: it's not very dark, and, most of all, not the same blue of the bezel. :(

Thanks for the heads up. I will be sure to see it "hands on" first.

the_frenchman

Very nice watch here ! Hamilton´s are always a great deal . The bracelet in this one looks very good :lol:

elmerlo

Very nice watch here ! Hamilton´s are always a great deal . The bracelet in this one looks very good :lol:

Indeed one of the best I have. Flexible but heavy enough to be balanced with the case. I also have the Hamilton Pilot and its bracelet is also great. So far my two experiences with Hammy have been very satisfying ;)

I think they are one of the best around to have something with a unique design and swiss manufacturing at a fairly reasonable price.

elmerlo

You're welcome!

I had the chance to try it and took a pic. Of course is under the shop's lights, but nevertheless gives you an idea about how much it differs from the site's pics (which, of course, are computer renders, not actual photographs...):

DSC_1878_zpsscvwotny.jpg

WatchDog21

You're welcome!

I had the chance to try it and took a pic. Of course is under the shop's lights, but nevertheless gives you an idea about how much it differs from the site's pics (which, of course, are computer renders, not actual photographs...):

DSC_1878_zpsscvwotny.jpg

I do see the color difference and now start to feel a bit of disappointment just as I did when Seiko released the new Turtle and there were some color variances.

This blue dial is a beauty though.

leebob

It's a really good looking watch, congrats.

the bezel shape and style is so much more interesting and imo black is a crisper look,

FunnyStarSystem

Awesome review, definitely sold me on it. Gotta love that 80hr pr!!! Now, if they would just make a gmt version....

elmerlo

Awesome review, definitely sold me on it. Gotta love that 80hr pr!!! Now, if they would just make a gmt version....

Uhm... I doubt they will make it. This has a strong diver orientation: fitting all the stuff for GMT would make it lose part of its appeal. I mean, the lock, thebold bezel fonts, clear dial...

My two cents, of course... ;)

FunnyStarSystem

^Was a joke about the second hand looking like a gmt hand ;)

Edited by Inkoumori

dfq23

Really like that!!

One thing though for a divers/tool watch.....

GRRRRRR FUCKING POLISHED CENTRE LINKS!!!

elmerlo

GRRRRRR FUCKING POLISHED CENTRE LINKS!!!

Yes, that's odd. I guess they made them polished because there are no other parts of the watch to make it "shine".

Of course, you can have them brushed in no time at any watchsmith (or giving the watch to a three year-old...) :)

Mike on a bike

Liking this one, wear in good health.

Hi guys been away a while got a new gen will get pics up ASAP.

Mike on a bike

I try not to ask questions with out looking first but none of the sellers including Hamilton's page on it give you height of case looks about 16-18 in your wrist shot , what is it?

FrankBhollis

It's a really good looking watch, congrats.

the bezel shape and style is so much more interesting and imo black is a crisper look,