Sign in to follow this  
trailboss99

Review Of TAG Heuer Link Automatic Chronograph 7750

trailboss99

PEhCWsK.jpg

I don't buy many watches, and when it comes to replicas I have "quality over quantity" approach. I often trade the watches I don't wear and I never make any "impulse buys", either. Also, when I'm in the verge of purchasing a new watch I always think "will it see any wrist time or not"?. But when I first saw this TAG rep I knew for sure that I would own it soon. I immediately started pestering Precious Time, my trusted dealer, and virtually forced him to get this watch into his stock. Needless to say my watch arrived well packaged and in absolutely perfect condition - quickly, and without any hassles, as usual. I rarely praise any dealers in my reviews but you really can't do it any better than PT.

It's not exaggeration to claim that the new TAG Link Automatic Chronograph is one of the most impressive & accurate replica watches. I almost pulled a trigger with Bentley, but since I already own a Breitling I decided to go with the TAG first. Yes, I didn't own a TAG - or any watch with blue face for that matter... and besides, I really like the looks of this particular model. It's very sporty - and the blue dial is very beautiful and captivating.

The dial is very tricky to photograph, because it has Seamaster-type "waves" (or perhaps "stripes" would be better word) on the center surface. The only way to bring up the "electric" effect is to shoot it with reflections:

V5l6pvA.jpg

The crown is a standard screw-down crown and it operates normally. Pushers are rather stiff but function firmly and solidly.

The replica factories and our dealers have been spoiling us with absolutely stunning replica watches recently. PO 4th Gen and 45mm, Breitling Bentley, IWC Jones & GST, and the new Navitimers. Accuracy and solid quality design (that we consider a standard now) has probably affected on the sales of less "perfect" models. This is, of course, unfortunate from the dealers' point of view. Members have become more "anal" than ever before, and we've had a few discussions about this lately. Still, I want to believe that our "anal retentive feedback" can help the factories to build better and more accurate models.

Due to aggressive marketing (using sports heroes like Tiger Woods and Kimi Raikkonen... and Hollywood celebrities like Uma Thurman and Brad Pitt in their advertising) TAG Heuer has built very solid and luxurious reputation among the non-watch enthusiast circles.

9U9YMTi.jpg

But hardcore WIS gang has always looked TAG down their noses. Probably because majority of TAG's sales come from grossly overpriced (and sometimes rather cheaply constructed) quartz models. WIS also think Heuer betrayed its roots when the company was bought by TAG in the mid-eighties... and as mentioned before, started moving their production more towards quartz-powered watches.

HERE is a link to a brief historical background of TAG and Heuer. Personally, I have always been quite a fan of some Heuer/TAG models. I used to own a genuine Aquaracer quartz two-tone watch and I have nothing but good to say about it. Tag Aquaracer 2000 Chronograph is one of the best looking chronograph watches I've seen, and I'm anxiously awaiting for a good rep. And while I have to admit that most of TAG advertising is rather pretentious, at least they don't claim that "It takes a year to build a TAG Heuer".

Quartz models aside, TAG's higher end chronograph line (Link, Aquaracer 2000/Aquagraph, Monaco, Carrera) belong to the same category with other mid-luxury brands (such as Breitling, Omega and Ebel). All these brands, like TAG, use outhouse movements and heavily base their chronograph line on Valjoux 7750. The Link Chronograph Calibre 36 even uses the mighty 36,000 vibrations per hour El Primero, which pushes it to the Daytona/ Broad Arrow/ Zenith heavyweight class. Perhaps not horologically (due to outhouse movement), but at least from practical and technical standpoint. So it's quite fair to say that (besides overpriced, overhyped quartz models) TAG also makes some very impressive sports chronographs.

Like the replica of Breitling "Fighters" model, this watch has perfect subdial spacing. This is still rare to see, even on high-end replica watches that our fantastic dealers can source for us. It was almost impossible to find anything other than factory pictures for reference, so I constructed this rather poor and small comparison shot. Don't be fooled by the different lighting and photographing conditions: the only difference I'm able to spot is the larger date window on the genuine. Or perhaps it's just the factory pic that makes it look that way?

HI9Tnpb.jpg

The perfect subdial spacing is possible due the basic 7750 construction (12-9-6 subregister arrangement), which the new, high beat 28.800bph Asian copy of the 7750 imitates naturally. This new 7750 movement is among the most discussed topics on the rep community right now. If it turns out to be reliable... only sky is the limit... and we have a lot of watches to buy.

This basic subdial arrangement makes a movement swap to genuine ETA Valjoux possible (if the original movement fails). Ziggy reports that this new, high-beat Asian 7750 should be much better built than the old movement. He has only reviewed the infamous "seconds at 6" version so far... but according to the report the movement itself should be good. Rep of TAG Link Chronograph is running in its natural evinronment (12-9-6), which hopefully improves the reliability. But only time will tell I guess...

Movement. Picture borrowed from the Zigmeister.

0LZMY8n.jpg

There are whoppin' eight different replica variations of the TAG Link Automatic Chronograph. It's available in black, white and blue with brushed bezel... and in grey, white and blue with polished bezel. In my version TACHYMETER is printed on the bezel surface, while it's positioned on the "inner ring" on the brushed versions.

TAG's official site lists only 4 variations of the standard model. According to the site the "brushed bezel" version comes only in black and white, and the "polished" ones only in grey and blue (my watch). First I was sure that the replica factories have screwed up again and put out 2 stupid fantasy models, and adviced Precious Time to NOT include those watches in his stock. Then I found the blue "brushed" version listed for sale on watchesonnet.com[/url]. This makes me suspect that the white "polished" version could also be available on request. The jury is still out on that one.

I constructed a "mosaic picture" of the all available 8 replica models which is quite impressive (the model repertoire, not my picture). Just keep in mind that a while ago we didn't have ANY decent TAG replicas. Source images are courtesy of Joshua (http://www.perfect-clones.com). I hope he doesn't mind me using them. Let it be known that my goal is not to endorse or put down his (or any other dealers') products when comparing these watches, but just honestly point out the flaws for the members, as objectively as possible. And all our dealers (mostly) have access to same watches anyway...

Xa8cqjI.jpg

There are also a"Special Edition Ayrton Senna" version available in 2 colors, which is basically the same watch, with just Ayrton Senna signature on the dial and the green 9'o'clock small running seconds hand. Unfortunately I couldn't find enough accurate information of the "Senna" models for this review, but my friend Robertk owns this watch and praises its accuracy in his review.

I also like the "brushed" version very much (which Rolexman reviews and photographs HERE). He reports it's extremely well built replica and possesses instant quality feel. It looks to be just as accurate and it has more "rugged" appearance which I like. However, the datewheel in the "brushed" rep version is rather bad, which is clearly demonstrated in the next picture I constructed (again from Joshua's sales pictures).

jclt1c2.jpg

There are also excellent, Swiss ETA-powered reps of the standard, (non-chronograph) Link and Link GMT. When you examine the accuracy and quality of these new TAGs I think they are up par with the best Omega and PAM reps. Simply outstanding, and due to this sudden quality increase I suspect TAG might start getting more attention among the members, too.

The Link bracelet is a famous TAG "trademark", and will make this watch easily recognizable among the watch people... and perhaps even among non-watch people, too. It has very original and innovative design and it's completely different from all other sports watch bracelets. It's very attractive, goes really well with the brushed case and polished bezel... and feels comfortable on the wrist.

oSsKRqi.jpg

The Link bracelet has very "different" resizing method. It's not difficult with good instructions. That's why I have added a PDF file of the resizing process into this post (see the attachment). This very useful file was provided to us by a member called *engineer*. Big thanks!

The clasp shape is pretty original with the big, oversized fliplock:

SvIz2eQ.jpg

Caseback with excellent, thick TRL.

:)

XHX3sv2.jpg

SUMMARY: When you get a new watch you're always excited. It's difficult to remain 100% objective and sometimes I notice a small bias in my reviews when I look back at them. But no matter how much I tried to find flaws and problems from this watch I can't find much at all (except the mentioned smaller date window). I'm actually overwhelmed by this TAG - and almost can't believe the rep factories forged it this well. I actually find it a bit ironic: After 200 different Rolex Submariner incarnations the rep factories have barely approached excellent accuracy (design wise) on that MUCH simpler... and thousand times more popular watch... but they replicate an obscure and rather complicated model like this almost flawlessly... on their first try. I swear, it's a conspiracy!

Hope you enjoyed the review and found it useful. I really had a great time doing it... and learned a lot about TAG/Heuer during the process.

aJYr6sd.jpg

onzenuub

Oke that did it, now I want one.

trailboss99

Nice arn't they. Held the gen in my hand at the AD a while back. $3800 AUD from memory.

Col.

onzenuub

Yep, I am starting to like those Tags more and more

oscarmadfish

nice

biener

Yes - I bought this same watch from Joshua at Perfect Clones and it is flawless. I actually took it to a jeweler to resize the band. They said it was beautiful and didnt even charge me. She did say that you never see the blue dial. Great watch. I have had it for over a year and plan on buying a Tag Grand Carrera next

Luthier

I have 4 TAGs, and love all of them. This brand deserves more attention.

Monsieur_B

Great review. Much love to Tags. Link is one of my favourites and I'm getting a Carrera now... :D