Sign in to follow this  
Pesman

Review - Tudor Black Shield Chronograph - ZF

Pesman

My latest purchase from Josh just landed and she's a beauty. I continue to marvel at how the quality of the ZF factory seems to out-strip all others. This is now my 'go-to' factory and I am yet to be disappointed.

In a quiet moment, I decided to browse the Tudor brand on Josh's site (Perfect Clones - for those not in the know). I didn't even know the Black Shield existed and just loved the stealth look (very in at the minute it would appear). Whilst the original is ceramic, this is thick coated DLC so you save serious trouser change. It was also the ZF factory so I took the plunge. Cost is currently $377 on PC with no additional cost for PP. Shipping to teh UK was another $25 and was faultless.

http://www.pf-818.co...asian-7753.html

Josh's new site has a beautifully slick payment process for those of us that prefer PP and the order was placed and paid for in under a minute. QC pics arrived in a day and watch was shipped 2 days after the order and in my hands only 4 days later courtesy of DHL. All very, very professional.

So to the review....

This is a Limited Edition watch that Tudor are producing as part of their partnership with Ducatti Bikes. It comes in a range of colour styles although Josh only carries the red and bronze styles - both introduced this year. The real watch retails at around £3500 / 4000 Euro so not cheap but for a ceramic LE Tudor is probably reasonable.

https://www.hodinkee...er-black-shield

The watch is sized at 42mm but wears slightly larger due to the 24mm strap. The rep finish is immaculate with crisp lines that mirror all the photos I have seen of the gens. The finish is beautifully matt with no shine. The dial is crisp and again appears identical to the original with no sunken date. The crystal doesn't have a lot of AR but reflections aren't annoying. Again, the gen seems to reflect a lot as well so this may be deliberate. It would benefit from more AR though.

The only 'issue' is the usual one with clone 7753 movements and that is the 'wobble' on the minute counter (top right) sub-dial. I had forgotten about this and had seen it previously on an Omega Seamaster 44mm Chronograph Rep I had a few years ago. The wobble is not massive but it could prove a distraction I guess.

The chrono operates fine - although as always - treat with caution.

The watch also comes with a nice Tudor date adjusting tool - just like the original - as the date is set by pushing a button on the side at 9.

The only real negative is the strap. The real strap is a soft suede and whilst the rep attempts to copy this, it basically serves up something that is closer to a scouring brush than soft leather. The strap is also very stiff. The colour is also much lighter than the real strap.

A quick search on eBay served me up a real strap for £90 and I think it makes all the difference. Now the watch is a pleasure to wear.

So, all in all, a lovely edition to the collection. Stunning quality for the price and recommended provided you don't mind changing the strap.

And now some pics....with a genuine strap

31765076516_7ee094e395_c.jpg

31802046115_0edd453945_c.jpg

31654747632_46e74ff4e7_c.jpg

31685840491_524032bc4c_c.jpg

MAJ75

An excellent all round review of a rarer piece.

Thanks for the time & effort put into this it will be a valuable addition to the resource for potential future buyers.

Chavezzito

Lovely watch!

A superquarts would be great on these :)

Pesman

Tudor must be close to having its own thread on here....

nunu78

read somewhere that new version with real ceramic case is gonna come out soon.

Casawelli1

This is a stunning time piece! Wear it well !

I am very much about to shift my next shopping item (plan was a IWC 5007, white dial w/ blue hands) towards this one, as I though, I need another dresswatch, but now...?.

I've tried to source the gen suede strap, but w/o success. Would you mind to share the vendor?

yolyemez

amazing :)

mr.tourette

nice review and a very fine looking watch...wear it in good health

Pesman

nice review and a very fine looking watch...wear it in good health

Actually it's gone now - complete with gen strap - couldn't live with the 7753 sub-dial wobble - shame