Sign in to follow this  
markeym3

Ceramic Bezel platinum Paint mod ..

markeym3

Hi Folks , I have posted before a paint mod I carried out on my Missus' Regmariner nodate but when I found the pics for the deepsea I did it seemed to show the effect a little better..

It is the same Mercedes alubeam paint, but the bezel seems a little deeper so the effect on the sides of the cut outs look more pronounced..

Pardon the phone camera pics ,, and the tagged pic , I sold the watch a little while ago..

Here is a link to a more detailed process on a GMT

http://imgur.com/a/cffOO

https://i.imgur.com/k6hCVtL.jpg

5wHLRcV.jpg

fIOOLyO.jpg

Edited by markeym3

NCRich

That is really nice. Did you remove the insert and pearl to do that? I've read the mod on RWI with testors paint and was going to play with a couple of mine.

markeym3

That is really nice. Did you remove the insert and pearl to do that? I've read the mod on RWI with testors paint and was going to play with a couple of mine.

Hi Thank you, No I left the pearl and bezel in place , really I should have removed the pearl but seemed ok.

The paint itself is very thin but has an incredible opacity, I used it on show cars for Mercedes over in Germany, for the bezel it worked very well.

You can "blob" the paint on and fill up the marker and after around 30mins the solvent has evaporated and just left the platinum layer and then the excess can be scraped away,it is very forgiving.

I would imagine now this paint is readily available as this is now used on production cars , so if you visit a car paint supplier it should be easy to get.

SteveA

I've tried about 4 different paints and still get a thick blobby effect ,yours looks great gotta get me some of this paint.Going on hols for 3 weeks when it will be worn daily,I'll refresh when I get back

markeym3

I've tried about 4 different paints and still get a thick blobby effect ,yours looks great gotta get me some of this paint.Going on hols for 3 weeks when it will be worn daily,I'll refresh when I get back

Yes the thick blobby effect is because the paint you are using is trying to "build" as well as give the effect and would have some clear coat in with it as well , this paint if you will, only gives the effect , there appear to be no or little binders in the paint and of course any clearcoat.

SteveA

Thanks Mark I will have to get some of that Merc stuff,I have a Merc in Palladian silver which is similar so might try for that

MetalMickey

I can confirm that this looks awesome :)

markeym3

Thanks Mark I will have to get some of that Merc stuff,I have a Merc in Palladian silver which is similar so might try for that

Ah the paint you speak of will probably use the "normal" aluminium particles which incredibly to think are too big also they have binders which give build , it really needs to be the Alubeam , or i think the paint code maybe 042 , don't hold me to that but the number rings a bell , you don't need thinners either it should come ready to use , also don't be alarmed by how thin the paint is , this is normal for this type.

Mr_B

Where can you but the paint online markeym3?

markeym3

You can pick this up from a refinisher supply shop .. One that supplies paint to the trade ..not sure about online ,but it is important that its just the alubeam ..

childishthing

Useful thread - SAVED!

fatarms

Guys, the trick to this mod is to make it about 30 percent paint and 70 percent thinner. Then just touch the brush to the numbers and it runs into the channel. The thinner evaporates leaving the paint in the channel. Also makes cleanup a lot easier :lol:

Cleebeauregard

Mercedes Paint Code 042 is actually for a paint color called "Havanna Metallic", which I don't believe is an "Alubeam Paint", as it's offered on virtually any Mercedes model.

There are actually at least a couple "alubeam" paint codes-- the first offering of this special paint was back in 2008 for the AMG CL 65. I think the code for that one was 047 which is referred to as "Alubeam Gray Metallic". On newer vehicles, the paint is coded 0047 ("Alubeam Silver"), and there may be other internal codes used by Mercedes, but I think it's all the same paint.

I'm pretty sure this color has only been offered on AMG vehicles, as it is extremely labor intensive, requires at least 7 coats onto an ultra-smooth surface, and is a $12,000 option with around a 3 month lead time on newly ordered vehicles.

If you can't get it from your local Mercedes dealer, you can purchase touch-up paint in code 047/0047 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=touch+up+paint+mercedes+benz+0047&rh=n%3A15684181%2Ck%3Atouch+up+paint+mercedes+benz+0047

markeym3

Thankyou yes i was going from memory so yes 047 is right.

The paint process as described above is nearly correct but yes it was very labour intensive.. I painted two show cars for mercedes around 6 years ago now ..

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=120385

reisuke

@markeym3 sorry for reviving this thread!

This looks really awesome!

I wanna ask if this particular paint is WATER based or OIL based? Thanks!

markeym3

@markeym3 sorry for reviving this thread!

This looks really awesome!

I wanna ask if this particular paint is WATER based or OIL based? Thanks!

Hi No problem on the thread revival.

No this is not water based , it is solvent based , it comes already to use.

Now this is used on production cars it should be readily available in most paint refinisher shops the shops that supply the trade.

Cheers

Here is a link to a more detailed explanation..

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=125409

Sealdoggy

There is a gentleman over on RWI that is doing a platinum vapor deposition process on your bezel, reports say it's exactly as Gen and will hever wear off, his handle is Spongebob, might want to check him out, however I heard his process is $$$

markeym3

There is a gentleman over on RWI that is doing a platinum vapor deposition process on your bezel, reports say it's exactly as Gen and will hever wear off, his handle is Spongebob, might want to check him out, however I heard his process is $$$

Yes I heard about it too, a great job but yes a it pricey , but then you get what you pay for.

ShovelnTC

$200 for that spongebob job, Good luck to him and all that use his service but $200 on a $300 rep doesn't compute to me.

Sealdoggy
$200 for that spongebob job, Good luck to him and all that use his service but $200 on a $300 rep doesn't compute to me.

+1

Nikosaldente

I am the happy owner of this watch since last October!

The result looks awesome in person! Far better than the photos!

Being sitting in the box most of the time though!

Great mod markeym3