Sign in to follow this  
_DC_

FIRST THOUGHTS: The new Patek 530 rep

_DC_

Just taken delivery of the newly released 530 rep, one word..... Wow!!!

12574296-2D8F-46DB-A697-23CF33F04DFE_zpsymdv9qyx.jpg

I've always said that as good as the 5070 and 5170 reps with ST19 movements are they still don't come close to the quality of the ALS Datograph rep with the same movement. The finishing was always just a little better on the ALS and it always felt somehow more solid both in hand but also the winding and chronograph actuation. Well this watch matches and even exceeds the Datograph for quality. The smaller size definitely helps (quoted size of 39mm but need to check) as the whole package being more compact adds to the high end classic feel of the watch. The leaf hands aren't flat (as with some other Patek reps) they have a three dimensional appearance that catches the light beautifully. The dial is a really subtle silver colour so it too is really dynamic in changing light.

My favourite attention to detail is the way the blued steel chronograph hand bends downwards towards its tip to conform to the shape of the crystal, just light a genuine vintage Patek. Whether that was because it would foul the crystal or because they saw that the gen hand does it I'm not certain, but either way it's a really nice touch that I've not seen on any rep before!

It's early days but I'm suitable impressed so far, full review to follow as soon as I have time!

On the wrist...

A2F9B001-B228-43CD-8A1C-CD244172B576_zpsobmu9psv.jpg

DC

Foxindebox

Looks great mate. Can't wait to see and hear more :)

Callumz

Looks great!

You got a frenchy strap lined up for it?

Pulse

Grats DC, glad you like it as much as you had hoped you would.

Looking forward to hearing more about it from you in the review.

Daywatch

Following this with interest. It´s just this awesome, very classical look about everything on it.

_DC_
Looks great!

You got a frenchy strap lined up for it?

Not yet, doing a bit of research on the spec of the strap it would have originally come on, but I'm also tempted to dress it down for summer with something a bit like this ALS...

21C2D135-9440-49A6-A83E-5994F0F84CDF_zpsa1zuxo3o.jpg

Or this ALS...

A06126EC-0E67-4AA1-9842-2E47FC43EEB8_zpsivkysppc.jpg

DC

Soop

Where did you sourced this piece?

jakethemouse

Dam that Patek is sexy. Which td did you getting it from?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

griffon22

don't count for nothing , unless you show a clear picture of the micro rotor (jesting)

seriously nice looking watch, those Patek chrono's are growing on me.

Phantomtech

That looks the bomb! I was never a vintage person but hmmmmm,.......

Just to point out, on your 5070r review you commented that the 5070 actually felt much more solid than your ALS but here you say the opposite? Correct me if I am wrong? To quote you from there:

"Then there's the pushers, again my Datograph suffers here. The first push of the chronograph start pusher is fine, an initial squeezing sensation followed by a satisfying "snick" and away it goes. Then you push it again to stop the chronograph and instead of the same smooth feeling your finger is met with a loose actuation that contains within it several clicks, none of them particularly satisfying of pleasant. This is NOT how an A. Lange & Sohne should feel and it does somewhat ruin the experience.

So what of the 5070? Well, bear in mind that all ST19s were not created equal, and yours may not be like mine, but mine is SUBLIME!!

The crown winding has a slight resistance that tells you it is actually doing something, but not so much that you think you're breaking it, no Christmas Cake mix here folks, and it has a loud and deeply pleasing click to it, as a manual wind should. The pushers meanwhile, both start and stop have a squeeze and snick sensation, no double clicking or loose feeling, and the reset doesn't fly back as soon as you so much as look at it like a startled cat, (or a Datograph rep) you have to press it for the hand to return to zero, just the way it should be!!"

_DC_
That looks the bomb! I was never a vintage person but hmmmmm,.......

Just to point out, on your 5070r review you commented that the 5070 actually felt much more solid than your ALS but here you say the opposite? Correct me if I am wrong? To quote you from there:

"Then there's the pushers, again my Datograph suffers here. The first push of the chronograph start pusher is fine, an initial squeezing sensation followed by a satisfying "snick" and away it goes. Then you push it again to stop the chronograph and instead of the same smooth feeling your finger is met with a loose actuation that contains within it several clicks, none of them particularly satisfying of pleasant. This is NOT how an A. Lange & Sohne should feel and it does somewhat ruin the experience.

So what of the 5070? Well, bear in mind that all ST19s were not created equal, and yours may not be like mine, but mine is SUBLIME!!

The crown winding has a slight resistance that tells you it is actually doing something, but not so much that you think you're breaking it, no Christmas Cake mix here folks, and it has a loud and deeply pleasing click to it, as a manual wind should. The pushers meanwhile, both start and stop have a squeeze and snick sensation, no double clicking or loose feeling, and the reset doesn't fly back as soon as you so much as look at it like a startled cat, (or a Datograph rep) you have to press it for the hand to return to zero, just the way it should be!!"

You're absolutely right that is a massive contradiction, lol. To clarify, the first Datograph I had (black dial) was superb with great finish, great winding and pusher feel, and was the best "feeling" watch I've ever owned. The second Datograph I had (silver dial) was the same great finish in terms of case, dial, hands etc etc but the movement wasn't as slick (sloppy pushers and stiff winding). The 5070 had the quality movement feel of my first Datograph but without as high quality case and dial finish etc. This 530 has best of both worlds although it would seem these ST19s are pot luck as to whether you get a great one or a slightly sloppy one!

DC

boredpanda

Looks good on you DC!

Side note, if you intend to try the more laid back strap, I still have one with the minimalistic stitching in shell cordovan still on M2M ;)

_DC_
Looks good on you DC!

Side note, if you intend to try the more laid back strap, I still have one with the minimalistic stitching in shell cordovan still on M2M ;)

Will check that out, what size?!?

DC

boredpanda
Looks good on you DC!

Will check that out, what size?!?

DC

It's 20/16! Not too sure if it'll fit your lugs. But it's a nice strap :P

Phantomtech

You're absolutely right that is a massive contradiction, lol. To clarify, the first Datograph I had (black dial) was superb with great finish, great winding and pusher feel, and was the best "feeling" watch I've ever owned. The second Datograph I had (silver dial) was the same great finish in terms of case, dial, hands etc etc but the movement wasn't as slick (sloppy pushers and stiff winding). The 5070 had the quality movement feel of my first Datograph but without as high quality case and dial finish etc. This 530 has best of both worlds although it would seem these ST19s are pot luck as to whether you get a great one or a slightly sloppy one!

DC

Gotcha! I am waiting for the full review, would love to see more detailed pics of this...

MAJ75

Looks really good on you mate. The classy design works well with the suit/ office attire.

As others have said I'll look forward to future updates on this piece......

_DC_

Switched it onto a flat profile RIOS alligator strap, has a more vintage look, still not sure what direct to go in with straps but for now this will do...

CAEB66E7-2B53-4D4A-9CF0-11B570CD6219_zpsqdk6zuoc.jpg

1769F3B3-5089-4C3A-9BE0-849F3C9BD08D_zpsuwdt7zrg.jpg

DC

Phantomtech

I like it! In a way this watch needs to be aged, something just doesn't look right with it all shiny and newish looking. Any plans to do that?

_DC_
I like it! In a way this watch needs to be aged, something just doesn't look right with it all shiny and newish looking. Any plans to do that?

Exactly what I've been thinking to myself all evening mate! If I'm going to age it I'm going to have to do it very carefully, but it's just a little too shiny!

I'm also currently leaning towards this strap option from the folks at Bulang & Sons...

455C113D-1C0C-48D1-9A21-44C8A91E6275_zps7dntjlyn.jpg

Looks great on black alligator for dressier occasions but for a more casual vintage Patek look (as demonstrated by this rather lovely 570) I think this is spot on!

DC

RolexFan1

Where can we buy this? Looks lovely.

Phantomtech

Exactly what I've been thinking to myself all evening mate! If I'm going to age it I'm going to have to do it very carefully, but it's just a little too shiny!

I'm also currently leaning towards this strap option from the folks at Bulang & Sons...

455C113D-1C0C-48D1-9A21-44C8A91E6275_zps7dntjlyn.jpg

Looks great on black alligator for dressier occasions but for a more casual vintage Patek look (as demonstrated by this rather lovely 570) I think this is spot on!

DC

That strap is perfect to complete the vintage look. Your collection will be insane after this is complete with the other one of a kind Patek paint jobs you have...

Of course you being the unofficial curator and all does mean that you get to be the owner of all the shitty fantasy reps :P

_DC_

^^^ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

azmah0

DC congrats!

Edited by azmah0

_DC_
DC congrats!

So in terms of aging, I know know discussed this before. But would you recommend th yellowish version? Black strap?

No, having looked at gen pics I ordered the silver or "white" dial version and having received it I'd say it's pretty close to gen, although on close inspection the gen has a vertical brushed finish to the dial and the rep doesn't have a brushed finish at all it's just very slightly metallic. So go white/silver dial is my advice!

DC

Garyun

Waiting patiently for the review........