Sign in to follow this  
wqleow

wqleow 2016 watch collection

wqleow

It's time for that yearly stock-take. This is the current state of affairs.

4ff9e006d425cf5ecef0a2b2e5a354fc.jpg

1099bed40988d7ee51fd4c882159a7b1.jpg

Edited by wqleow

GenTLe

Very nice pieces!! Still don't get why you sold the 288... But personally happy about that :D

shokka9

Wowsers!

Some very nice pieces, some are on my hit list too, like the VC & AT for example.

Good work, and enjoy them all

wqleow
Very nice pieces!! Still don't get why you sold the 288... But personally happy about that :D

It's all about my skinny wrists. I can't seem to carry off anything more than 44mm well.

In fact both of my current PAMs are 42mm.

I sure am glad that the 288 found a fantastic owner!

wqleow
Wowsers!

Some very nice pieces, some are on my hit list too, like the VC & AT for example.

The VC wears really well with its thin profile. This particular one has a sweet Swiss ETA in it as well. Only issue is that the bracelet make quality is not as good as for example the AP ROs. If the new factories would remake this version, I would buy another on in a heartbeat.

cca411097c5741ac359543cccf6a0842.jpg

293e32e2599a1cef523128fb322876ed.jpg

wqleow
Wowsers!

The Aqua Terra is really bang for buck. While some may complain that the miyota 8215 is not a highbeat movement, it is highly durable.

The AR is fantastic on this one and the bracelet is of a good quality as well.

There are so many color choices. I would go for the 15000 gauss version for a splash of yellow. Anyone up for a trade?

d9e16e2fce19d52869f5db486dfe7cf0.jpg

GT86

:clap: Highly Stylish collection there pal! Not one piece that I wouldn't be proud to own and wear. Hoping to post my own 'gang' at some point after I take delivery of a few more...

The IWC w/red dials and brushed Radiomir 1940 are particular highlights for me.

Anything on the wishlist?

shokka9

I agree with both those watches, however, I cannot buy that VC anymore. Some TDs do list the newer version (with sunburst dial), which is cool, but I like this one (black or white dial).

I will wait for you to sell it, it's okay. Thanks for thinking of me :giggle:

The Aqua Terra, well..... I've been undecided on which one for a long time. I have always like the AT, I almost bought the gen quartz, but if I were to buy any gen quartz at that price, it would be a Grand Seiko.

You have one great collection for sure.

wqleow

:clap: Highly Stylish collection there pal! Not one piece that I wouldn't be proud to own and wear. Hoping to post my own 'gang' at some point after I take delivery of a few more...

The IWC w/red dials and brushed Radiomir 1940 are particular highlights for me.

Anything on the wishlist?

Thanks for the compliment GT. I suppose you can say this collection took quite a bit of misses before. See my signature for the previous misses!

It's also quite IWC heavy as you can tell and the IWC Spitfire Tribeca Edition is one of the highlights.

70D10250-137A-4A88-A41F-B4684EE64422_zpsfflg2cvw.jpg

685C228D-B070-401F-BE34-EF83F62A1064_zpstfn0rogy_1.jpg

3CC97E04-FEF6-455E-B752-8F6E88B590E5_zpshxwwhq22_1.jpg

6CBB3BD6-B734-4963-B13B-A7DB58A0A0F4_zpsml9ud0wd_1.jpg

The usual issues are the sunken datewheel as well as the wrong engraving on the caseback (it's obviously not the one out of 100 as the first one is the RG edition). It seems that the new ZF version has resolved the sunken datewheel issue but they don't offer the Tribeca Edition as yet.

I have not experienced any of the timebomb secs @ 6 issue, thank god.

Even though it's 43mm and looks slightly awkward on my wrists, it's a keeper for now.

wqleow

I agree with both those watches, however, I cannot buy that VC anymore. Some TDs do list the newer version (with sunburst dial), which is cool, but I like this one (black or white dial).

I will wait for you to sell it, it's okay. Thanks for thinking of me :giggle:

The Aqua Terra, well..... I've been undecided on which one for a long time. I have always like the AT, I almost bought the gen quartz, but if I were to buy any gen quartz at that price, it would be a Grand Seiko.

You have one great collection for sure.

Yes I have noticed that the newer versions offer the sunburst dial which I feel doesn't look as good at the older guilloche dial.

With the quality of reps at the moment, you can satisfy your AT thirst by just getting the rep. As it's been released for quite some time already, you can easily find a few on M2M. The prices from the TDs have also dropped since it's initial launch.

As we are on the topic of the guilloche dial, the AP tapisserie dials are incredible. Coupled with the genta designed bezel and the incredible bracelet, the AP RO is one of my favourite watches.

Here's the latest addition to the collection.

AP 15450, 37mm. Perfect for skinny wrists.

Blue dial color is a bit off compared to Gen. Date wheel Colour is black instead of blue. Missing marker at 3. But none of these matter!

f72c855e0aca84dd4a3d8c54d815e1ae.jpg

Edited by wqleow

TT88

very nice :) i need an overseas too :Jumpy: :Jumpy:

wqleow

TT, if I remember correctly. You have an even better collection than mine!

Piccolo

Very classy collection..!

What reference is the Radiomir you have? I've been looking for a 42mm, but get so confused by all the numbers...

Is the Portugese you have gold? Looks like a great colour combo.

wqleow

Here's a quick post on the PAMs in my collection. I really thank the rep factories for taking the plunge and making the 42mm reps. They wear so much better.

I start with the PAM 512, a 1940 radiomir style with horn lugs and no crown guard. It has a sandwich dial and patina-like markers. Runs on a handwind movement.

4a861755650182b50702eef0ff7900d7.jpg

822436f3842ef68825f17176a721dc2e.jpg

I had a hiccup with this watch initially. It arrived dead on arrival from one of my favourite TD, fat panda. And he agreed for me to ship it back for a repair.

It came back working, but only about a month before the movement stopped again. Then it stayed in the watchbox for about half a year before I finally had it fixed by a local watch smith. Turns out that the movement was too dry and needed a proper service.

It's now on a brand new asso strap from linamarket and wears super well.

Edited by wqleow

Piccolo

Thanks for the Pam info! I tried on a 619 at an AD (one of the newer releases with a micro rotor) the 42mm really does fit better, especially in the Radiomir style.

wqleow

I have had bad experiences with the radiomir design. The PAM 292 had caused me much heartache and made me swear that I would never get another radiomir with wire lugs.

Somehow the PAM 338 managed its way into my collection. And I'm currently glad it did.

It has a brushed stainless steel case while the Gen is supposedly titanium. But I really can't tell the difference. What I love about it is the gold tinted hands against the sandwich dial, accompanied by the large crown and the wire lugs; make this a really nice dress watch. The smaller tang buckle also fits the dress watch style very well.

047aa1c12b35c41db36770a9ea08c047.jpg

4f36613075065502512f44a319bed007.jpg

Edited by wqleow

wqleow
Thanks for the Pam info! I tried on a 619 at an AD (one of the newer releases with a micro rotor) the 42mm really does fit better, especially in the Radiomir style.

You are welcome Piccolo. I learn all my PAM knowledge from ALE's great resource over at RWI. I make sure I always refer to it before I purchase a PAM.

The 619 is really sweet but unfortunately the rep factories have not come out with the micro rotor yet. As such the handwind version is still the way to go in the rep world. That's would be the 512.

42mm is really near the upper limit for a skinny wrist. Mine's about 6.5 inches and I can't carry any watch more than 43mm comfortably.

The Portuguese chronograph is rose gold. I will do a post on it later. One of my absolute favourites.

Edited by wqleow

wqleow

IWC Portuguese Chronograph 3714

This is a masterpiece. IWC really nailed the design element here. I had the cheap but damn good quartz version with the white dial and blue markers initially. For $80, it was a great watch. I finally overcame the secs @ 6 fear and jumped on this watch in a M2M sale with Lightgeek.

I suppose this is the older version as the number 4 doesn't have that curve but unless you can examine the dial closely, it's difficult to tell with quick glances.

The ardoise dial is mesmerising. And I finally found the perfect Santorini strap to set off thay yellow-to-rose gold case.

While I can't wear this for work, it's almost the default watch for any fancy dinner events.

If you could only choose one gold watch, what would it be?

dcf15774b77e2dc216985c8ace7e5aae.jpg

4fb1b05abdbf55ddcdb6d2101ad67ec9.jpg

eb95df1ad6bcc5c766cbbe54cac4061f.jpg

Edited by wqleow

gran

Classy collection there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub:

Piccolo

The dial on the portugese compliments the RG perfectly. It almost plays it down a little bit (in a good way) so the gold doesn't look too flashy, just classy.

Very Nice! :thumbsup:

TT88

TT, if I remember correctly. You have an even better collection than mine!

yours is much more versatile my friend,mine has been stagnant for too long. :lol:

would love to upgrade a little, especially those IWCs..yum yum :drool:

Sakurai

Really like this collection - thanks for sharing! The VC pics reminded me what a great watch this is, will have to put that on my list.

MAJ75

What an outstanding collection, thanks for sharing it with us. The word used in the majority of other posts is "Classy" so I will say elegant throughout!

I have been leaning exactly in your direction regarding PAMs deciding that for me a 42mm option is the way to go so Radiomir looks highly likely, I might go for a gold or rose gold case when I finally decide.

My next purchase will probably be an IWC & I have been going backwards & forwards between a 5001 & 3714 whichever way I'll probably go gold case, white face, gold numerals....

Reading the AT comments a Gauss is on my list but my second choice would be the one you have......

So all in all we have similar taste.....

wqleow

Really like this collection - thanks for sharing! The VC pics reminded me what a great watch this is, will have to put that on my list.

From your signature, it seems that you really like the PAM Daylight with so many versions!

wqleow

What an outstanding collection, thanks for sharing it with us. The word used in the majority of other posts is "Classy" so I will say elegant throughout!

I have been leaning exactly in your direction regarding PAMs deciding that for me a 42mm option is the way to go so Radiomir looks highly likely, I might go for a gold or rose gold case when I finally decide.

My next purchase will probably be an IWC & I have been going backwards & forwards between a 5001 & 3714 whichever way I'll probably go gold case, white face, gold numerals....

Reading the AT comments a Gauss is on my list but my second choice would be the one you have......

So all in all we have similar taste.....

Thanks Maj! I have kept to a single gold watch in my collection as I hardly ever have the opportunity to wear it. In my office, it would be ostentatious to wear gold.

What I found is that watches with gold hands and indices in a stainless steel case actually brings out that vintage feel quite well, without being too flashy.

Here's my Portofino as an example.

303416D4-CCFF-4922-B05E-82EF2B92A633_zps2kevqode.jpg

1CB477DD-78C2-446E-B04C-25B0AA8673B2_zpsgapx8w7t.jpg

Another example of this 'hidden' gold would be the PAM 338 with the gold tinted hands.

047aa1c12b35c41db36770a9ea08c047_zpsbnntmx7z.jpg

In your case, I would suggest that you go for the IWC 3714 in this particular colour combi:

PB290001.jpg

And then go for a RG PAM such as the PAM 513.

image_zpss8yonmv4.jpg