greg_r

Breitling SuperOcean Heritage 46mm

greg_r

I'm not a big fan of Breitling as a rule, finding the majority of models a little 'busy' for my taste, but the SuperOcean Heritage has long been one of my favourite watches from any manufacturer. I've been tempted to buy a gen since before I got back into reps, but have always managed to talk myself out of it.

Since returning to collecting reps two or three years ago, I've come close to buying a rep of the SOH, but the fear of being disappointed with it by comparison with the gen has always made me hesitate - I knew that if I had a less than perfect rep, it would just hasten the moment when I had to throw several grand at the real thing and the inaccuracies of the v1 dial were a major turn-off.

Anyhow, after my last PAM purchase I decided that I just HAD to buy an SOH next time around - a few recent visits to the AD had made it quite clear that if I didn't buy a rep soon, the gen would be finding its way into my watchbox before much longer wink.png. So, about 10 days ago I contacted Robert (who supplies most of my watches these days) to see what he could offer me. He offered me a v2 (which has the more accurate dial) SOH with OR band for $235, which is a pretty damned good deal, so I sent him the payment just over a week ago and figured I'd be boring the shoutbox crew silly with my impatience for the next two weeks wink.png

This morning, the wife wanted to go shopping, so whilst she was wandering around a shoe shop ( rolleyes.gif ) I found myself walking into the AD and asking to take a closer look at the SOH. I was still nervous about whether the rep was going to live up to my expectations. On returning home, I was amazed to find a package from Robert awaiting. That's 8 days since payment - via airmail, yet!

Anyhow, I needn't have worried about the quality of this rep. I am hard pressed to tell the difference between it and the gen I was handling only this morning. The OR strap is completely indistinguishable from the real thing, the deployant is maybe not quite as solid-feeling, but there's not much in it. The only giveaway on the watch is the lume and even that's more than acceptable - it's brighter than I expected. I don't yet know how long it will last, but I'm not quite so worried about that.

This watch has particularly good AR - to the point that the crystal almost disappears from some angles. The movement is the usual asian 'clone ETA' high-beat and has a very smooth sweep. The crown screws in with a very positive feel and the bezel is nice and tight, feeling exactly like the gen. You really wouldn't know that this was a $235 watch rather than a £2750 gen unless you really knew your Breitlings (possibly not even then).

Overall I'm extremely impressed - this is a near-perfect rep and I'm now glad I didn't talk myself into buying the gen. I can, however, see a gen mesh band in this watch's future wink.png

Enough of the drivel - here's the pics thumbsup2.gif

soh_OR_270210.jpg

Breit_soh-OR_w_270210.jpg

breitsoh_OR_270210-1.jpg

sconehead

Very clean looking watch, I'm glad it lived up to your expectations after longing for it for so long...could this mean a departure from Pam buying for a while? ;)

dingle

Very nice G. I am jealous. ;)

oscarmadfish

looks great greg and will looking better on mesh

i look forward to you selling it to me for half price in a few months lol

greg_r
Very clean looking watch, I'm glad it lived up to your expectations after longing for it for so long...could this mean a departure from Pam buying for a while? ;)

Well, for this month maybe. ;)

Oddly enough, there aren't really that many other watches on my wishlist at the moment. I want a 305, I'd like another SOH (brown dial - probably chrono next time) and maybe a decent Tag GC RS8 to replace the cheapie I got rid of a while back but that's about it for now.

looks great greg and will looking better on mesh

i look forward to you selling it to me for half price in a few months lol

LOL - not gonna happen. I've been wanting one of these for a looong time :rolleyes:

SliceMaster

That is a beautiful watch...just sad its too big for my wrist..dammit

AustinTech

Nice one! I think the blue dial helps with making the AR look great. I've always tried to get blue dialed Breitlings for that reason.

glad you like it, it looks like a keeper.

andy66

Looking good greg.

i just wish Robert could of got me my SA,

I keep going back to look at the SOH,i think i might have to get one.

greg_r
Nice one! I think the blue dial helps with making the AR look great. I've always tried to get blue dialed Breitlings for that reason.

glad you like it, it looks like a keeper.

Oh, it's definitely a keeper. ;)

greg_r
That is a beautiful watch...just sad its too big for my wrist..dammit

Well maybe - but then you get to enjoy Rollie GMTs and seadwellers which are really too small for me. It evens out, I guess ;)

Worth remembering that there's a 38mm version too, though. Still a very pretty watch

Luthier

Will you show it to your AD, Greg?

;)

Congrats on buying such a nice watch, I guess it will turn you to more good watches, maybe SOSF or even (OMG...) B-01, if you're already talking about Breitling chronos... hehehe... Thingz changez, tastez too, right?

:rolleyes:

greg_r
Will you show it to your AD, Greg?

;)

uh no. Then I'd have to ban myself. Would get messy :rolleyes:

Congrats on buying such a nice watch, I guess it will turn you to more good watches, maybe SOSF or even (OMG...) B-01, if you're already talking about Breitling chronos... hehehe... Thingz changez, tastez too, right?

;)

uh no. My tastes haven't really changed a whole lot - I've wanted an SOH for a LONG time (and have been talking about it on here since we started), as you'd realise if you'd actually read the post ;). As I said, I've been threatening to buy the gen for the last 2 or 3 years. Anyhow, I dislike both the SOSF and B-01. Way too flashy - like most other Breits, they lack elegance imho...

KBH

I agree with you. Breits are too flashy. I think that's the only model I like. The brown chrono model sounds sweet.

cybee

Congrats on a fantastic looking watch. This and the black dial version are the best looking Breits imho.

greg_r

UPDATE:

I picked up a cheap mesh band on the 'bay just to try. It cost me £25 and arrived yesterday:

soh_bracelet_020310.jpg

soh_mesh_020310-1.jpg

The bracelet itself is nice and chunky - the mesh is good quality. The bracelet has several solid links connecting to the clasp and the length can be adjusted by removing these links (fitted with pins and an absolute bastard to get back in again!).

The clasp is solid enough but far too chunky and the bracelet isn't sufficiently highly polished to quite match the finish of the watch. For the price, however, it's surprisingly decent.

Mesh suits this watch very well indeed - to the point of it almost being a must. As I feared, however, it's clear that I'm not going to be satisfied with an aftermarket bracelet - it's just not sufficiently gen-like. I suspect I'm gonna go back to the OR band before long and save up for a gen bracelet - unless, of course, a decent rep bracelet appears (the current rep bracelet isn't adjustable, so is virtually useless).

KinCaidk

looks great, Greg... I've always felt that SOHs need a mesh bracelet.

trailboss99

Very, very nice!

The only issue with these is deciding which colour to get, black, blue or brown.

I do wish someone would do a decent rep mesh tho.

Col.

greg_r
Very, very nice!

The only issue with these is deciding which colour to get, black, blue or brown.

I do wish someone would do a decent rep mesh tho.

Col.

Thanks, mate.

+1 on the rep bracelet. Bloody silly that they should rep it but not make it adjustable for length :rolleyes:. I know I'm not going to be happy with any generic bracelet, though, as the watch is just so close to the gen. I'm not normally this anal about my watches, but this is one I want to be as near perfect as I can get it...

As for colour, well the simple answer is all three... ;)

I think I'll skip black, though - but I do want the bronze one. Probably a chrono.

trailboss99
I think I'll skip black, though - but I do want the bronze one. Probably a chrono.

Na, for some reason the chrono versions lose all the alure for me.

Col.

greg_r

Na, for some reason the chrono versions lose all the alure for me.

Col.

I agree that the non-chronos are sexier, but I do like the chrono version too.

Oh well - gonna be a while before I buy another watch anyhow. I think I need to get saving for a gen bracelet... $$$$$$$$

Member X

As I now HAVE to have one of these at some point (thanks greg :thumbsup2: lol :f_run:) I was looking at the 'tube to see vids etc.

This one was quite good:

but he does waffle a bit lol

This bloke clearly has too much money looking at this apartment!

dingle

fixed it for ya X......:thumbsup2:...great finds. :f_run:

pollux1

I never was in to Breitlings either Greg, although recently a sale came up for a 44mm Bentley GT, with double A/R it was a great price so I went for it. The watch wears extremely well and now seeing your SOH I'm tempted to pick one up, dammit Greg couldn't you make your pics a little less alluring?

Member X

Thanks dingle! :f_run:

I forgot you could embed them... lol

greg_r
I never was in to Breitlings either Greg, although recently a sale came up for a 44mm Bentley GT, with double A/R it was a great price so I went for it. The watch wears extremely well and now seeing your SOH I'm tempted to pick one up, dammit Greg couldn't you make your pics a little less alluring?

lol - sorry. Quite pleased with those photos actually - I actually made an effort for once. Doesn't happen often :)