Sign in to follow this  
JohnCocktoastin

Newbie looking for newest PAM 661

JohnCocktoastin

Newbie from Miami here.

I have read quite a few posts before this question, and I must say, this board is AMAZING. Since I have found it I am constantly wavering between 2 states:

1) excitement at all the invaluable information and the unbelievable work some of some of the rep makers; and

2) fear that this new-found hobby could easily lead to an obsession!

I have a rep PAM 111 but I'm really interested in the PAM 661 carbotech. I have read ALE's fantastic PAM guide as well as Polonus' 661 review and ALE's follow-up review, but the posts end in 2016.

My question is about the thickness on the latest KW/V6F/whatevertheinitialsarenow PAM 661.

I have contacted 2 separate TD's who claim to have access to rep version with the correct 15.6mm thickness like the Gen. (Not sure if inappropriate to name them here but I can provide the names if needed).

One has it described on his website as 15.6mm with a picture purporting to measure the case with calipers at the proper thickness. The other claimed he didn't know at first but then e-mailed to confirm it is the correct thickness as GEN. However, I see other TD's listing it as 17.24mm (like in Polonus' review), 17.5 or even 18mm. I asked both TD's to confirm whether the 15.6mm thickness included the crystal as the Gen does, but now it sounds like they are just assuming it does instead of confirming.

Anyone know if the newest version is actually 15.6MM including the crystal, or is that just the case with crystal removed?

Many thanks.

JohnCocktoastin

Oops. I just read somewhere that protocol is to introduce yourself first before asking any questions. Apologies for my newbnicity. Am I supposed to wait some amount of time after intro post before asking for info/advice?

RUSH2112

Welcome, I have no idea about the answer. I'm not terribly interested in extreme details so it would never bother me. If Ales guide didn't answer I don't know who would know. You could always order one and see how it is.

Wriggles

Welcome, I have no idea about the answer. I'm not terribly interested in extreme details so it would never bother me. If Ales guide didn't answer I don't know who would know. You could always order one and see how it is.

This.

Unless someone is going to take your watch and stick a calipers on it to check how are they going to know it's a little more than a mm thicker than a gen. Aside from which I couldn't give a shit anyway whether they cared or not

JohnCocktoastin

I understand completely what you're saying and I'm not really concerned about the 1.6mm thickness difference so much as getting possible super-rep vs. 1st class rep. The TD's advertised it as the latest/best version from KW/V6F, and I could not tell if their factory had put out a newer version since the review and follow-up by Polonus and ALE in 2016. I just want to make sure the version I buy is the latest/most improved rep available. I guess I should have phrased my question better. :stupid:

RUSH2112
I understand completely what you're saying and I'm not really concerned about the 1.6mm thickness difference so much as getting possible super-rep vs. 1st class rep. The TD's advertised it as the latest/best version from KW/V6F, and I could not tell if their factory had put out a newer version since the review and follow-up by Polonus and ALE in 2016. I just want to make sure the version I buy is the latest/most improved rep available. I guess I should have phrased my question better. :stupid:

Marketing in China seems based on hyperbole so it's difficult to gauge quality based on their descriptions. As a group, panerais are probably some of the better repped watches out there.

Wriggles

Just saw this now, I get what you're saying, but if you tell the TD you want the particular version and factory they should source that for you. You seem to have done your research so thats good, if you just say "latest version" then you may have a bit of a pot luck scenario.

But as said above Panerai's are generally very well repped, and differences in super vs first class are generally so small nobody including yourself will probably ever notice outside of a loupe at 5x magnification!

MiamiPanerai

Hi brother. Too fuuny, I too seek the same and i'm also in Miami. Maybe we should join efforts and possibly incentivize the chosen TD with more business. I need this Carbotech! Lol