Sign in to follow this  
lapinobel

Panerai Regatta : winding but not setting time

lapinobel

Hi

I have a problem with my Panerai Regatta. The watch was not winding anymore, I would only set the time. So I took off the caseback, and pressed the little button inside to remove the crown. I then reseated the crown but now the watch only seems to wind and I'm unable to set the time. If I pull the crown to set the time, it seems to dislock and I can only wind it and not push it back in wholly. So something isn't quite right.

Any idea if this is something I can fix myself? I have little knowledge about watch repair, but willing to learn of course. Would hate to not be able to fix this, since it's a fantastic piece.

fatarms

It's most likely a keyless works issue. You can begin by researching resetting the keyless works in the movement (7750?) if you want to attempt the repair yourself.

10:10 Watch Repair

I have little knowledge about watch repair, but willing to learn of course.

There's one way to learn...

Rx4Time

Did you gently press the button when you reinstalled the crown?

GenTLe

If the keyless are messed up, it is DEFINITIVELY not something for a newbie (for works over watch movement) to fix, in a 7750 movement.

gavmeister

I suspect the little "button" you have pressed has "popped" out of place. I had the exact same issue (it would not allow me to pull the crown out far enough to set the time) with one of mine. Sent it off for repair.

BadPickle

Get someone to look at it who knows what they're doin, there's a trusted dealers list for this kind of thing.

Get someone to look at it who knows what they're doin, there's a trusted dealers list for this kind of thing.

Or just grip it and rip it Maverick.

lapinobel

Did you gently press the button when you reinstalled the crown?

I did, but might have not pushed it in far enough. Guess I won't be able to fix this myself then :( I can only rewind it, and when I pull the crown to be able to set the time, it keeps in "rewind" mode until the crown just detaches. It doesn't seem like it's held securly in place.

Edited by lapinobel

nofitstate

You do not need to push the button in very much!

I've always followed these rules when removing a 7750 stem.

1, Pull the stem out to the time setting position

2, depress them stem release button very slightly while carefulling pulling the stem. You will then feel when you have pressed the button down far enough to release the stem.

3, When pushing it back in again, use slight pressure to match the depth you used to release the stem on the button and push the stem back until you feel it pop into place.

Now seeing as you already have a problem, I would try and remove the stem using those steps and see if it helps. At best you may solve your problem and at worst you are still where you started. Either way you are on your way to learning how to work on reps.

You do not need to push the button in very much!

I've always followed these rules when removing a 7750 stem.

1, Pull the stem out to the time setting position

2, depress them stem release button very slightly while carefulling pulling the stem. You will then feel when you have pressed the button down far enough to release the stem.

3, When pushing it back in again, use slight pressure to match the depth you used to release the stem on the button and push the stem back until you feel it pop into place.

Now seeing as you already have a problem, I would try and remove the stem using those steps and see if it helps. At best you may solve your problem and at worst you are still where you started. Either way you are on your way to learning how to work on reps.

A little twist on the crown while inserting may help too.

GenTLe

Yep, to be sure it engages the square hole of the sliding pinion.

A question for you: for 283x and 2824 and the such I've always used to extract the stem in the time setting position. For the Miyota and 21j instead I noticed they tend to mess up if extracted in that way, much better the winding position.

I'm not sure about the 775x anyway. I think that I used the winding position in the past, because the hack lever is not like in the 283x and doesn't help to keep the sliding pinion in place, but I'd like if possible a suggestion from you.

Thanks, GenTLe

A question for you: for 283x and 2824 and the such I've always used to extract the stem in the time setting position. For the Miyota and 21j instead I noticed they tend to mess up if extracted in that way, much better the winding position.

I'm not sure about the 775x anyway. I think that I used the winding position in the past, because the hack lever is not like in the 283x and doesn't help to keep the sliding pinion in place, but I'd like if possible a suggestion from you.

Thanks, GenTLe

I don't use the setting position for inserting the stem personally. Maybe it's the way my hands work, but it doesn't seem to help me. The theory is, by inserting the stem in setting position the sliding pinion is locked in place against the intermediate setting wheel. That may make more of a difference with different keyless designs. I.e. it's easier to displace the sliding pinion from the yoke with some - a 3135 for example has a very robust keyless, a 2836-2 is more delicate.

BadPickle

Thanks, GenTLe

I don't use the setting position for inserting the stem personally. Maybe it's the way my hands work, but it doesn't seem to help me. The theory is, by inserting the stem in setting position the sliding pinion is locked in place against the intermediate setting wheel. That may make more of a difference with different keyless designs. I.e. it's easier to displace the sliding pinion from the yoke with some - a 3135 for example has a very robust keyless, a 2836-2 is more delicate.

Are you the same 10:10 who used to be a trusted here but not any more? So now you could say the opposite of trusted? Or is that a different 10:10? 10;10? 10/10? 10_10?

Just askin

Thanks, GenTLe

Are you the same 10:10 who used to be a trusted here but not any more? So now you could say the opposite of trusted? Or is that a different 10:10? 10;10? 10/10? 10_10?

Just askin

I am not to be trusted.

But sometimes I may be correct.

BadPickle

Thanks, GenTLe

Just askin

I am not to be trusted.

and other times?

Thanks, GenTLe

Just askin

I am not to be trusted.

and other times?

You will have to ask my wife.

GenTLe

Thanks for the feedback ;)

and other times?

We have a winner :D

BadPickle

Thanks, GenTLe

Just askin

I am not to be trusted.

and other times?

gimme a minute she's busy ;)

Left Coast Guy

gimme a minute she's busy ;)

ZING!!!!

Dendo

Thanks, GenTLe

This is a perennial problem (and for me a perianal one).

Here is a discussion from 2012 that I found useful:

https://www.replica-...ractice.110890/

It repeats some of what 10:10 and GenTLe are saying. It would be terrific if someone did a comprehensive sticky for the forum on this topic (maybe there is one I am missing).

Briefly - 1) cheap Asian movements have cheap parts that can be damaged whatever you do; 2) 'setting position' is generally best, and slight depression might be useful on replacing, as well as slight twisting of the crown; 3) 283x is probably better done in 'winding position'.

Resetting the keyless works is a major pain and seriously time consuming - not for my skill level and patience level. Messing up a keyless is relatively easy on clones and is a major consideration when considering removing movements. It is amazing that such an early and relatively simple procedure in watch movement manipulation can result in so much heartbreak :lol:

Briefly - 1) cheap Asian movements have cheap parts that can be damaged whatever you do; 2) 'setting position' is generally best, and slight depression might be useful on replacing, as well as slight twisting of the crown; 3) 283x is probably better done in 'winding position'.

Resetting the keyless works is a major pain and seriously time consuming - not for my skill level and patience level. Messing up a keyless is relatively easy on clones and is a major consideration when considering removing movements. It is amazing that such an early and relatively simple procedure in watch movement manipulation can result in so much heartbreak :lol:

It helps to understand why the keyless gets displaced and what each approach does to help / hurt that.

The stem has to be inserted so that the yoke stays in the sliding pinion groove which is more difficult in the winding position. In winding, the sliding pinion can easily twist so making sure the flat ground (square) portion of the stem goes in smoothly is key. A slight twist might help.

You're also trying to get the stem groove into the set lever "pin." The stem has a taper which is supposed to help easing the stem past the pin. Because the crown pulls out to setting, and pushes in to winding, getting the stem stuck on that pin can cause the yoke to move suddenly and become displaced if the watch is in setting position. A little press on the set lever / stem release helps.

Whichever position the keyless is in, inserting the stem straight is also critical. So use some care, and line up the case first.

Some experience will lead you to your own best practice.

Also, if PBR was able to last a whole minute, my wife need to cook dinner now, so send her back.