dingle

How to tell a gen ETA movement vs Asian

dingle

With all the questions lately, here is the easiest way to tell. KBH posted this some time ago and I shamelessly stole his post from RWI. All credit goes to KBH. :)

Here's a quick tutorial. Look at the arrow pointing to the right. It clearly shows the shape of the retainer as having 3 "U" shaped indentations. The rep has more "V" looking indents.

The other two arrows at the shock system clearly show 2 of the three cutouts that are on the gen movements, where the rep only has one.

And Last but not least, my secret anti-clone discovery, that I'm releasing into the public for the first time. Check out the shape of the cut out at the top right arrow. It's got a nice rounded moon shape on the ETA and the clone has a flat straight surface. I haven't documented this as 100% foolproof, but so far I haven't seen any 28XX series with the flat surface.

gen

ETA_gen.jpg

Asian--

notice the flat edge KBH refers to

Movement.jpg

HWG

Ok, now perhaps show a pic of the clone movement, just for comparison, sticky, and lock. :clap:

myaz

Well....credit to you for reposting.

Kal-el

Ok, now perhaps show a pic of the clone movement, just for comparison, sticky, and lock. :clap:

+1

dingle

clone pic added :)

houndoggie

well, this should confuse everyone nicely..

:lol:

jacobarch

those tricky Asians!

You can also tell by the teeth on the gears.

Teeth on ETA are deeper/longer

Teeth on Asian are more shallow.

edwinowl

Good spot that Ding.

Jose Betancur

can't wait :D

Odyseus

Easily swapped with a genuine Novadiac (Incabloc) spring though??

sconehead

...and to add more to the mix, there is a new 'super clone' that has three cut-outs in the shock assy retaininer, also, from certain angles (pic. 3) the mainplate cut-out seems rounded...see it here, http://www.puretime.co/blog/166/

NFleischer

I've seen pictures of clones that also have the 'moon cut out' recently.Maybe those damn 'superclones'?

Frankt8242

easiest selection is to just buy Asian.....It's what you're most likely to get anyhow, regardless of any extra you might pay, so why gamble...The Asian models are very close quality wise to the lower grade Swiss anyhow...And there ain't NO WAY that you're gonna' get a "top level" ETA in a rep!!!

sconehead

..check out the 'Clone Wars' thread...it gives you an idea of just how good the clones are made these days...the only thing that hampers some ofthem is the lack of decent oiling imo which can be remedied by a service...I have two ST powered reps that are more accurate than some of my gens...

real_deal07

Are there any Daytonas who are fitted with the Sea gullST90/copy venus/Lemania movement end if not, can they be substituted for the more common 7750 movement?

real_deal07

Sooo much info here!! awesome!!!!!!

greg_r

Are there any Daytonas who are fitted with the Sea gullST90/copy venus/Lemania movement end if not, can they be substituted for the more common 7750 movement?

Vintage models (mainly 6263) only. Not a direct swap for the 7750 as the subdial spacing is different.

real_deal07

Ok, opted out on the 7750 sec@6 since aparently isn't the best thing for a new timer! gonna go for something low maintenace end sturdier.

Abagnale
easiest selection is to just buy Asian.....It's what you're most likely to get anyhow, regardless of any extra you might pay, so why gamble...The Asian models are very close quality wise to the lower grade Swiss anyhow...And there ain't NO WAY that you're gonna' get a "top level" ETA in a rep!!!

definitely this! novodiac system on shitty finish eta is the usual suspect anyway. i don't believe in swiss eta anymore...

cheers

numbnuts3

thanks for the great info guys!

watchlover442

Thanks for the info

Navichief

Used this today, thanks!

ads-1991

Thanks for sharing, Very helpful :)

dvn

Good to know. Thanks

twofake

Great thread. Many thanks for restarting it.