Sign in to follow this  
GS535i

Hello from Nova Scotia

GS535i

.... and if I have to pinpoint where that is, that will get me a second post to the newbie qualification goal :). Joined a couple of weeks ago, and have been surfing many sub forums to learn more .... appreciate fine mechanical things that capture the spirit of the analogue era. Questions to follow ....

GS535i

So, first question - I cannot find by searching a distinction between "best edition" of a 1:1 rep and a numbered version - aka 'V2, V5.1, etc.

It does not appear that the latest version is necessarily the 'best' version.

Would someone please direct me to a link?

GS535i

Oh .... and when reading on a particular watch that " V2 is better than V4 wrt points x, y, and z" I accept that to be a well measured critique of a rep; however, is there any relevance for a noob buyer of such a watch if V2 was last year's model and NLA?? Hell, the only version currently available may be a V6.

Just trying to clarify the significance of 'version' vs 'best' ... and relate that to what is actually available.

Or do I have the 'version' thing all wrong??

Advice appreciated ... thx

GS535i

I do have an (initial) objective driving these questions ..... and that is the acquisition of an AP 15400 SS/blue w. bracelet. An alternative, or possible additional item would be an AP 15703 Diver SS .....

Mr Stubbs

Welcome from Winnipeg! :morebeer:

First, no matter what anyone says, there are no replica watch experts. Just 80,000 or so members here with their own opinions of what is 'best'. :P

Second, your rhetorical questions are on the right track. Sometimes the early versions are so-called super reps, and the later versions drop in quality for reasons known only to the manufacturers. Most likely driven by profit. The answer is to look on the member to member (M2M) sales threads for the version you prefer, if it's no longer made.

Third: Check the Replica Reviews Brand by Brand threads. http://www.rwg.bz/bo...hp?showforum=13 Lots of AP fans who have posted and can offer advice. Just don't say 'who makes the best...' OR do it. See what happens. :lol:

And read all the threads that are stickied in the General Discussion forum. Have fun!

GS535i

Tossing out the odd rhetorical question or two never seems to hurt :) ... thx for the insight, and that came with a plus, for my access to M2M just materialized!

Cheers ..

Mr Stubbs

Keep posting mate. Wish I could help with your AP hunt, but someone will. Bonne chance!

TheTinMan

Welcome from Toronto. One thing I will maybe suggest: if you're not sure about a watch, some of the dealers sell cheaper versions that are a good way to test a model before you pay full price for the latest and greatest (sometimes that's all hype). You can turn around and sell M2M later to help you fund the best version, if you so choose; just don't try to make a profit when you flip a watch here, people may not take too kindly to that.

M2M is also a great source to find deals, and sometimes models or versions that are no longer produced.

Most importantly, good Luck!

pstar_1980

Welcome from London! Big Pam and IWC Fan!!

GS535i

Thanks for the +ve comments mates ... W'peg, TO & London span in mere moments ( if London, Ont - did grad school @ western, London England, only did a pint there :morebeer:

Having a focus on a particular watch augments the learning curve - now aware that the V2 version of the JF 1:1 appears to be the recommended 'best' of the AP 15400 noted above. Even if that ultimately fails to materialize, it serves to bring this new syntax of watch talk together.

Edited by GS535i

iabounty

A great big WELCOME to the forum, from the southern coast of Iowa. :)