Sign in to follow this  
jellywobbles

Anyone bought a Rolex Explorer II?

jellywobbles

Has anyone here recently bought a Rolex Explorer II?

I just bought the one below ( 4 weeks ago) from an RWG TD - and am reluctant to have him swap it for another of the same quality. Apart from the obvious visual defect it keeps stopping if I take it off for more than a couple of hours despite being previously worn 24 hours.

I always remove the watch when washing hands / washing up & no water has come into contact with the watch.

I would like to find someone that has bought an Explorer II and is happy with it.

b5pt95.jpg

Thanks ;)

BadPickle

Contact the dealer about it, especially the poor power reserve.

Davesjourney

Yup - what he said above!

Diver Dave

The power reserve is wrong, so I'd ask about it.

The marking is easy to deal with, an enamel stick from any of the craft places will re-mark the engravings better than they were when new. I actually like the way mine is gaining character as it wears though, but it's easy to remedy.

I rather like mine, and it runs well. Not getting a lot of wrist time though, so might M2M it before too long.

splke

mine is my 2nd favourite rep but not had an issue with paint or movement

nuttcrac69

As per my post in your original topic about this watch, you should contact a moderator as you cannot seem to resolve it with the TD in question. (I don't know which is the party at fault)

P.S.

You cannot expect very good quality at this price point.

greg_r

Not a review. Moved to General Discussion.

gceaves

The "ROLEXP2033 - 2011 Explorer II 42mm White" from Trusty Time in May 2016 is quite nice. The metal bracelet is a little "tinny", like the metal corners of the clasp are a bit rough. That final millimeter, so to speak, isn't ~quite~ there. The cyclops feels a bit "glued on", if that makes sense. Nonetheless, I'm happy with it.

I've found Trusty Time to be a very professional store, with never any problems.

RussP

It's the age old adage..................y'get what you pay for.

Speaking of which, just how much did this cost you?

Nevertheless, the missing 8 is inexcusable.

I'd send it back and request a replacement.

Russ.

PS: All automatic watches do need winding sometimes.

PPS: Wearing something all day doesn't equate to it being wound adequately.

Diver Dave

It's the age old adage..................y'get what you pay for.

Speaking of which, just how much did this cost you?

Nevertheless, the missing 8 is inexcusable.

I'd send it back and request a replacement.

Russ.

PS: All automatic watches do need winding sometimes.

PPS: Wearing something all day doesn't equate to it being wound adequately.

The missing 8 is simply a bit of paint that has fallen out. For some reason they use a hard enamel of some sort and there's not terribly good adhesion between the paint and the metal. Using a paint-stick from your local craft store will not only make it as good as new, it'll make it better. Rub it on, wipe off the excess, and the numbers will stay filled with the paint. Let it dry an hour and forget it.

I disagree with your comment about self winding watches needing winding now and then, and that a continuously worn self winding watch might not be fully wound. Neither is correct, for a properly working self winding movement. If you find this to be the case you have a bad movement in your hand.

Edited by Diver Dave

black263

Before anything else hand wind it slowly for about 40 turns. Put it down and see how long it lasts without being worn. Then report back.

lumbee

I have an Explorer II "Steve McQueen" from Perfect Clones and am very happy with it. It runs flawlessly with a +/- of 0...that's right, ZERO. Dead flat line on the timer. The only objection I have, which to me is niggling, is the numbers on the bezel are a bit thin compared to gen.

RussP

I work in a sedentary role.

Just wearing an automatic watch doesn't guarantee that it will remain charged when I take it off my wrist for the night.

That's my point of contention.

GenTLe

The bezel paint thing is common.

Look here how to fix it, easy peasy: http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=119701

About the PR, probably a service is better than send it back, or even a new movement with swapping of the GMT parts (which are just 4 bits) especially if it is the one with the GMT hand d below the hour hand.

black263

Can we hold back on giving advice on the PR, until he's done the basic test of winding it up fully, and then letting it run down to see how long it lasts from fully wound to empty without being worn? There may be nothing wrong with the PR, but until this simple thing is done, any other advice is jumping the gun.

Diver Dave

I work in a sedentary role.

Just wearing an automatic watch doesn't guarantee that it will remain charged when I take it off my wrist for the night.

That's my point of contention.

Any gen will run for a day + after being worn for any basic day no matter what you do. If it doesn't, it needs help. Reps should act the same way. Even sitting at a desk pushing paper will keep them fully wound.

The other advice ^^ is good. Hand wind it and see how it does.

Dave

Frazzle

I bought a version one second hand that was faulty. I had it fixed and was more than happy with it. I recently reluctantly sold it. To be honest it was one of my many watches that got the most compliments.

My experience of receiving new watches that are faulty are the easiest resolution is to have it fixed locally and accept a part refund from the trusted dealer.

Good luck buddy.