Sign in to follow this  
trailboss99

Review of ROLEX 16610 Submariner "Noobmariner", Asian 21J version, 21.600 bph

trailboss99

131007-19255.jpg

A friend and a fellow forum member asked me if I wanted to have his almost brand spankin' new "Noobmariner" for free. He said that that he had liked my reviews and would like to see this watch reviewed and photographed by me as well. At first I thought that I couldn't accept the gift... but I've read Puggy's and other guys' reviews of this watch... so I couldn't resist. I was curious, to say at least.

This same fellow, who is well known of his generosity among other members too, wants to remain anonymous. It wasn't the first time someone made me a favour here, but giving a watch for free to someone you have never met is quite exceptional.

131007-19256.jpg

I try to refrain from advertising the the dealers in my reviews, but just for clarification: "Noobmariner" is the same watch that TTK sells for $100, and that's where this watch originally comes from. Since I praised PT in my last review it's only fair to give credit when credit is due: Neil deserves kudos for bringing bargains like this to our attention.

Yes, you read it right: The price of the watch is $100. It has Asian automatic movement which oscillates at 21,600 BPH. Ziggy has never made an excessive breakdown and review of the basic 21J Asian Automatic, and I guess it would be too big of a generalization to put them all into the same basket. But Ziggy describes these movements in his Watch basics review: Most need no service, and overall are new and clean and well oiled.

The sweep isn't as smooth as ETA, but honestly you have to look really close before you notice any difference (and preferably put the watches side-by-side). This was my first (but most likely not the last) basic Asian 21J-powered watch and I must say I'm impressed by the accuracy and sweep. If you consider that you can get these watches for half the price (compared to ETAs) I'd say these watches are superb value for money.

And even if the movement fails for some reason, a swap to ETA ($60 from Ofrei) is a piece of cake to any watchsmith.

So... what do you get for $100?

You get excellent, accurate and high quality replica. It doesn't have any of the typical flaws that all standard Submariner reps had less than 12 months ago. It has shiny, metallic rehaut, smooth 120-click bezel, almost invisible etched crown on the crystal, hollow link Oyster bracelet, datewheel and cyclops placed correctly (not too right on the dial/crystal), sharp, almost flawless dial and a reasonable pearl. But the most impressive detail of this watch to me is the satin finish of the bracelet and lugs.

131007-19257.jpg

The bracelet had sharp edges and I had to file them smoother, but the steel is very shiny and impressive. When you receive this watch be careful not to remove the finish with any abrasive material. Just polish it with car wax or some non-abrasive liquid. It's very impressive as it is. And like I said, the lugs and case have very nice, accurate look and feel as well.

Year ago the crown guards would have been sensational, now they're just "reasonable". They're a bit too thick from the bottom as usual, but have the good "spiky" and pointy look. I'll definitely modify them myself at some point, but I wanted to review the watch in "out of the box" condition.

131007-19258.jpg

What about the "rehaut"... or the "case depth"?

Oh yes indeedy... the rep nerds have wasted so much time arguing and nitpicking about the correct depth and look which, in all fairness, are usually wrong on most old Sub reps. Nitpicking and arguing about these microscopic differences is part of the fun... but to me the more important thing is the smooth, metallic look... rather than some 0.1mm difference in case depth.

Like I said, most replica Submariners have it wrong. The crystal should "merge" smoothly with the case. This is a picture of my old CN Sub rehaut. Notice how the rehaut is "cut in half", not smooth and straight and looks like it's made of two different parts:

131007-19259.jpg

For any normal people this is nothing but ridiculous nitpicking, but for us RWG Trekkie bastards these are just standard everyday topics:

Here's the "Noobmariner" rehaut compared to the genuine. The difference in depth is minimal, but the crystal sits too low on the rep. The old "TW case" was the only one having it better (it was actually a bit too deep). There are a few new rep 16610 models which have improved in this department too.

131007-19260.jpg

Despite having probably 0.1mm too low rehaut the smooth, straight and metallic look is what makes this watch shine. It looks "correct" and substantial on the wrist.

131007-19261.jpg

Now, let's take a look at the arguably the "Best Sub" 18 months ago: This was my old "CN Sub" with modified crown guards and better pearl. The only thing that was quite accurate on this watch was the dial and winding crown. Actually the crown looks good, much better than on most current replicas (including the Noobmariner, I might add)... The rest looks fundamentally wrong: bracelet, case, cyclops too right, etc. etc.

What feels funny now... only year and a half later... is that people were willing to pay $400 (or even $600) to modify these reps. Now we get a rep that's light years better for $100... in out-of-the box condition. Difficult to say which has improved more in 18 months though: the quality of the Sub reps... or my photographic skills (sorry for the lousy picture).

131007-19262.jpg

Conclusion:

I have owned so many Submariner reps that I've lost count. Not as many as Tribal (or Tanfoglio... God forbid...) but many nevertheless. I'm not sure if this is the "Best Sub", I'll leave that debate for the Sub Trekkies. laugh.gif But I think it's safe to say this is at least very close to that title in completely unmodified condition. The pearl isn't great and the cg's aren't perfect, the winding crown is a bit too thick. But these are easy mods, the watch has a "good feel and look" (as described earlier) and EXCELLENT dial which are the most important things to me.

The only thing that really makes the rep look visually inferior next to the genuine is the difference in luminous abilities. Noobmariner has typical, weakish replica lume. But then again the only unmodified rep watch that I've seen with even remotely impressive lume has been the Omega 4th Gen Planet Ocean.

This review was really special and lots of fun to put together, due to the nature of this watch. Thanks again to the kind person who gave this gift to me (you know who you are).

I'm not the biggest fan of the basic 16610 Rolex Submariner anymore (and I actually prefer the no-date), but you can't deny the appeal and history of this watch. Everyone should own one, and this watch being a gift, it's obviously a permanent mainstay in my collection. No matter what they'll improve in the future, I'm quite sure this will always be good enough for me.

And once again... what really impresses me about this watch is the price: Like I said, it's completely ridiculous at $100! Now let me see... you get an automatic watch, visually 96% Rolex rep with high quality feel and finish for the price of a friggin' plastic Casio! Call the Bobbies, the noobs are spoiled... and the Chinese are taking over!

PS: Will they suspect it's a rep? Of course they will, it says "Rolex" on the dial, doesn't it? Put it in a genuine box, change the pearl and they'll have a hard time believing it when you tell them.

Thanks for reading.

1a.jpg

--------------------

IMPORTANT NOTE: I will not reply to watch/part/mod questions via PM from members anymore. I'd love to help everyone privately, but my PM box gets flooded/spammed these days with these enquiries and I simply don't have the time. This is a hobby for me, not a job. Please ask your questions in the public forum where you have thousands of potential helpers. It's nothing personal. Thanks for understanding. By-Tor.

swissaddict

Amazing that, visually, this $100 Sub is better than many $200+ and $300+ 'swiss' Subs. Great review trailboss--err, By-Tor.

P_Diddy

TB is this your review? :lol:

greg_r

Nope, it's By-Tor's. Reposted here by Col with permission.

trailboss99

As above. I ain't anywhere near that good!

Col.

greg_r

so modest :lol:

KBH

Nice review. I have the LV model and just can't sell it even though I don't wear it. The simple mod that this one needs is to sand down the insert, which will not only be more correct but will raise the look of the crystal.

The newer models have already set the inserts in lower, as shown in this picture.

DSCN2451.jpg

Other than that all you need is minimal modding on the CG's and a new Watchmaterial pearl and you've got a great rep.

DSCN1943.jpg

DSCN1884.jpg

DSCN1922.jpg

The older Noob's also had crowns that were too tall. I'm not sure, but I think that has also been changed on the newer models. Since those pictures I've also added a BK crown and tube and a 4813 hi-beat movement. It's a "perfect" Rolex rep and amazingly smooth threads.

The biggest downside to me, which is a shame, is that the Noob cases are too small and lighweight compared to a gen. That's where the TWB cases are actually much better.

MroseSledz

I apologize, I am a noob and this is the exact watch I am seeking. What is TTK?? Thank you!

NEVERMIND I see this post is from 2009 and he has left the biz. Thanks anyway.

Edited by MroseSledz