Sign in to follow this  
rc42

Review - Vacheron Constantin Overseas

rc42

VCOgenTitle1.jpg

Review of the Vacheron Constantin Overseas (non-chrono) 2004 model

The Genuine VCO

The original VC Overseas sports watch line was released in 1996 with 37mm diameter models but based on market analysis new revamped models with 42mm diameter were subsequently introduced in 2004, a few months before Vacheron Constantin’s 250th anniversary. VC is considered by many to be a more prestigious brand and perhaps even a class above the mass producers like Rolex.

This review looks at the current replicas of the non-chrono VCO which is priced at $11,000 and comes in black and white (silver) face versions. The models are claimed as being designed for overseas travel and are a combination of sports and dress watch. VC produces around 15,000 watches annually of which around 1,000 are ‘Overseas’ models.

The genuine VCO has 150m water resistance and is claimed as ‘anti-magnetic’. In order to be acknowledged as ‘anti-magnetic’ watch a watch must resist a magnetic field of 4,800 A/m (Ampere per meter) and have a maximum deviation of 30 seconds per day. To achieve this the VCO has a soft iron shield between the movement and the outer casing. The stated customer base for this requirement is electrical engineers who may come into contact with moderate magnetic fields for short periods of time.

The Replica VCOs

There are two main replica versions of the VCO, although both have sapphire crystals, only one has double AR and that one is available only from Silix, the other has no AR and is available form most dealers but the pictures from Josh’s site have been used here. For the sake of discussion here, the reps will be referred to as the Silix and Josh versions. The Silix reps that I have weigh 164g which is very close to the 162g for the gen and they measure 42.5mm by 9.5mm which is an exact match to the gen. The size listed on Josh (and Andrew’s) site is 42mm x 8mm which is either a typo or these reps are thinner than they should be.

My two Silix reps (one black face and one white) are the basis for most comments in this review.

Differences – Watch Face

These two rep versions and the gen are shown below with numbers to highlight the differences on the watch faces:

VCOrepComp1.jpg

0. Not shown on the photo but only the Silix rep has strong double AR

1. The bevelled edge around the date window is too large on the Silix rep and too small on the Josh rep. The shape is better on the Silix rep as it appears closer to the gen’s trapezoid shape, also, the date font is not quite correct on either rep.

2. The maltese cross is slightly too small on the Silix rep and much too small on the Josh rep.

3. The seconds numerals are too small and slightly high on the Silix rep but about right on the Josh rep.

4. The word GENÈVE has no accent above the second È on the Silix rep, the Josh rep is correct

5. The raised background for the dial text is slightly small on the Silix rep and slightly large on the Josh rep.

6. The lume ‘pits’ on the hour markers are slightly small on the Silix rep and about right on the Josh rep, neither has as much lume as the gen.

7. The ‘Swiss Made’ text is too small on both Silix and Josh reps.

8. The font size on the dial is too high and narrow on the Josh rep and although not quite right on the Silix rep it is closer to the gen.

9. The metal used for the hands has a slightly dark appearance which aids visibility against the white face, the Silix rep does this well but the hands on the Josh rep are too ‘silver’

10. The dial face texture is less sharp on eiter rep than it is on the gen

11. The metal 3,6,9,12 numerals have a satin finish on the gen rather than being reflective and are flatter with cleaner edges.

In addition, the pits in the hour markers are not very symmetrical on the Silix version, although they are nicely filled to level with lume without overspill or mess. This ‘defect’ is only visible through a loupe but is shown clearly on two different Silix reps below:

VCOrepMark1.jpg

Differences - Casebacks

The reps all appear to have the same casebacks although they do have a range of serial numbers, however, there are two versions of caseback which can be identified by the model number, the pictures here show 47040 which is correct for the non-chrono VCO, the chrono version is denoted by the 49150 model number.

The rep casebacks do have some minor differences to the gen:

VCOrepComp2.jpg

1. The engraved text is deeper on the gen and lies centrally on the raised area of the caseback, the engraving on the reps is shallow and slightly too close to the center of the watch.

2. The detail on the ship is slightly less on the reps, for example, the ropes which cross the sails and the texture on the side of the ship (see additional picture).

3. There are some additional screws on the reps which relate to the bracelet mounting.

Below is a closeup of the ship on the gen caseback.

VCOgenCase1.jpg

Differences – Bracelet & Clasp

The bracelet on the reps looks very similar to the gen, a side view is shown below, the rep picture does not show the ‘half-link’ next to the clasp for fine bracelet adjustment but one is provided:

VCOrepCompBr1.jpg

The bracelet does look nice on the rep but in a side by side comparison with a gen it is clear that the finish on the latter is far superior (as you’d expect), the wrist shots below show this quite well.

VCOrepCompBr2.jpg

1. The alignment of the end-link against the case is not exact on the rep, this is only a fraction of a millimetre and is not really visible when worn though.

2. The polished edges on the gen are slightly bigger and more even.

3. The brushed finish on the strap is much clearer on the gen

Although not visible in pictures the rep bracelets have some problems with their construction which results a lot of ‘play’ in the end links.

The bracelet construction is shown below.

VCOrepBr1.jpg

All links are held together by threaded pins and length adjustment is by removal of full or half links. The holes are not drilled all the way through the links so only the ‘head’ ends are visible. As you can see from the above picture, the pins pass through adjacent links in the bracelet and are threaded at the head end only. These fit reasonable tightly but are fitted with thread lock at the factory so can be very difficult to remove for initial adjustment. Following adjustment the screws do tend to work loose unless ‘Locktite’ blue or similar is used to secure them.

The ‘play’ in the end link can be explained by the picture below:

VCOrepBr2.jpg

The hole through the last link in the bracelet is the same size as the other bracelet links, as shown by the red lines on the right hand picture, however, the pin which goes through this hole and also through the end-link is somewhat smaller in diameter. A larger pin cannot be used as it is secured in the end-link by a screw on either side and must be smaller than the screw threads. One suggested solution is to fill the hole in the bracelet’s lat link with epoxy and then re-drill a smaller hole through the epoxy.

The bracelet clasp is a double deployant and is near identical to the gen although it can also be a source of problems on the rep, it can have difficulty with both closing and opening, my reps from Silix have had problems with both.

Look at the picture below:

VCOrepBr3.jpg

1. For ‘closing’ problems, a small file is required to increase the size of the notch which guides the sprung pins down to their locking point.

2. For ‘opening’ problems, a small file is again needed on the inner surface of the clasp so that the push pin (2) comes completely level with the flat surface.

Differences – Movement

The casebacks have similar construction on the rep and gen but are not quite the same inside, the gen has only model and serial numbers while the rep has a VC name and logo. There is also an additional stuck down square of some material on the gen, the purpose for this is unknown.

VCOgenBack1.jpg

One obvious difference when removing the caseback to expose the movement is the anti-magnetic iron shield in the gen, see below:

VCOgenMvmt1.jpg

Both replicas use the reliable Swiss ETA 2824-2 nickel plated movement. For the gen VC source the movement form JLC (Jaeger-LeCoultre). The exact movement is the JLC 889/2, 36 jewel which is also used in the AP Royal Oak and the IWC Ingenieur. VC substantially reworks the movement and adds a 21ct gold rotor weight before renaming it to the VC calibre 1126.

The pictures of the rep and gen movements are shown below, see if you can work out which is which:

VCOgenMvmt2.jpg

VCOrepMvmt1.jpg

The Lume

The gen uses high quality luminova and has a reputation for a bright long lasting glow, the reps are about average as reps go and would certainly benefit from a relume. Below are pictures of a Silix rep a few seconds and then a few minutes after being exposed to bright light, the brightness decay is quite fast.

VCOrepLume1.jpg

Other Problems

The thread on the crown tube is quite short on these reps and has been known to cross thread quite easily, although I have not had this problem it is a concern as the crown tightening is not very smooth.

Both reps are also difficult to wind manually as the crown is small and difficult to grip, the white face watch is tighter and particularly difficult. Fortunately, when the crown is pulled out to adjust time or date there is not a problem.

Wearing the Rep

The lists of differences and defects above are quite extensive but this is really an example of extreme nit picking, the (Silix) VCO rep is actually very good and quite accurate out of the box and it looks very classy and elegant on the wrist.

At 42mm this is a fairly big watch as you can see when side by side with a Rolex sub. The big difference though is the low height of the watch which makes it very stable on the wrist and allows it to slip under your sleve more easily like a dress watch whilst still having the size and rugged looks of a sports watch. It is also a very comfortable watch to wear.

VCOrepSub1.jpg

VCOrepSub2.jpg

There are black and white face versions of this VCO from Silix, both have the same strong double AR and both look much better for it. The black face shows off the AR better and its colour varies from blue to black depending on the viewing angle. To be honest though, the white face is a better looking watch and is easier to read. Personal taste comes into this to some extent but the main issue is the dark steel used for the hands, the dark hands show up perfectly against the white face but largely disappear against the black face and can really only be seen by the lume paint. This can be seen below but is more noticeable when wearing the watch in low light.

VCOrepComp3.jpg

Compare the hands on the black face to the gen:

VCOgenHands1.jpg

Modding the Reps

All reps can be improved, here are some ways to make this superb watch even closer to the gen, unfortunately, they are not easy mods.

1. Relume

2. Bracelet end-link tightening

3. AR (only for the non Silix version)

Conclusions

The Silix reps of the Vacheron Constantin Overseas are excellent quality and very stylish and comfortable to wear. The VC brand is quite rare and more prestigious than the like of Rolex and is unknown to most people so you won’t be called out with it.

Quite simply, if you don’t have one of these in your collection then get one.

A wristshot of the Silix rep:

VCOrepArm2.jpg

I know this was very long but I hope you have got something useful from it.

oscarmadfish

very nice

greg_r

Fantastic review, rc. Thanks!

I've been tempted to buy a VCO for quite some time and have only hesitated because I wasn't entirely sure which version to buy. Now I know. :huh:

Demsey

Yikes! I'll have to digest this one over the course of days. Great review!

pollux1

Very informative, great stuff!

morris133

Very nice review. Love the VCO and it's on the short list of reps to get. The Rolex YM, Omega Seamaster GMT or the VCO

Black, white, .....tough decision - or even the blue dial but I've never seen any good photos of the blue so maybe no.

But a great review and nice photos. And good to know Silix as a good version.

jeffw69

Very nice review. Love the VCO and it's on the short list of reps to get. The Rolex YM, Omega Seamaster GMT or the VCO

Black, white, .....tough decision - or even the blue dial but I've never seen any good photos of the blue so maybe no.

But a great review and nice photos. And good to know Silix as a good version.

Morris, this thread is over 3 years old.

Best to check with Silix if still available.

I think it is a beautiful watch.

gran

Great review!

Is this Silix rep any different from the latest on Trustys or Perefct clones site?

morris133

Thankfully Silix and Andrew still have it available and I would think Josh as well at Perfect Clones.

Any thoughts on the Chrono version?

I need to get to a retailer and check them out in person.

greg_r

Great review!

Is this Silix rep any different from the latest on Trustys or Perefct clones site?

As I recall, yes it was - the Silix version was supposed to have the more accurate dial. Whether it still is would be a whole different question, however.

moredhel

I guess the only move would be to email Sillix and ask. Itching to get one of these.

jeffw69

Just paid for a swiss version white dial with Mary.

The wait begins.....

James.

Just paid for a swiss version white dial with Mary.

The wait begins.....

hmm i'm torn b/w white and black versions.

No doubt your impending pics will help me decide :lol:

sms

If anyone has one of these collecting dust, I sure would like to buy it. I picked up a 40mm A21 with faux chrono for 40 bucks and wear it all the time, but would much rather have this one. Rochest says they are long since gone, even though they are still on many websites.

YoungGPS

Outstanding review!

Job-Well-Done.gif

ks653

This was my first rep... was my daily beater and got plenty of wrist time initially as it was my only for a couple of months... now I wear it only on special occasions... it is truly fantastic!

sms

I found what I thought to be one of these, and perhaps it is. I bought from a member on repgeek, who purchased from another member. It is listed as 42mm with Swiss 2824 confirmed and zifggified. I pasted the original description below. It is a very nice watch. The lume is a veritable torch, albeit only for a little while, but still, it is very bright. The watch is in great shape, the bracelet, as described is OK just a lot of scratches where the screws have been removed with cheap or the wrong sized screw drivers. The problem is that it only measures 40mm from any two points on the case. In fact it is 39.8 mm in diameter. I can get a 42mm measurement if I measure from NE to SW or NW to SE near the points where the bracelet meets the watch head, as there is a bit of an extension of the case at those points. Perhaps the watch is at it should be. Are all of these so called 42mm VCs this size or was there a true 42mm rep? I'm convinced it's an ETA movement and it is a very nice rep. Maybe as nice as any rep I've ever had, but I had my heart set on 42mm. Next to a sub or any 40mm watch it looks even smaller because it is so thin, which I suppose is fine for me as I have smallish wrists. My 42mm Omega dwarfs it. To the sellers credit he did say it was smallish and wore more like a Rolex, so I have not complained to him, nor am I complaining here. I really just want to know if there is a larger VCO out there. I did pay top dollar though and if there is a 42mm VC overseas out there that measures 42 across the case, I'll keep watching the boards. Does anyone have one of these they can measure for me? I have a cheapo VCO with faux chrono and it is exactly the same size, other than a bit thicker due to the movement. It was advertised as 40mm. Everything but the size is as described and I wouldn't send it back even if I could, but if there's a 42 I still want one, then I might think about selling this one.

From original owner Specs and mods -

- 1:1 case 42mm

- Swiss ETA 2824 movement - Keeping time within 5 sec per day / 2+ day PR.

- Chief double AR on Sapphire crystal - Unmarked

- The Zigmeister Lume

- Silix cross transplant by Ziggy (original cross was way too big)

- Proper/best clasp added

- Awesome ship case back

cromag
I found what I thought to be one of these, and perhaps it is. I bought from a member on repgeek, who purchased from another member. It is listed as 42mm with Swiss 2824 confirmed and zifggified. I pasted the original description below. It is a very nice watch. The lume is a veritable torch, albeit only for a little while, but still, it is very bright. The watch is in great shape, the bracelet, as described is OK just a lot of scratches where the screws have been removed with cheap or the wrong sized screw drivers. The problem is that it only measures 40mm from any two points on the case. In fact it is 39.8 mm in diameter. I can get a 42mm measurement if I measure from NE to SW or NW to SE near the points where the bracelet meets the watch head, as there is a bit of an extension of the case at those points. Perhaps the watch is at it should be. Are all of these so called 42mm VCs this size or was there a true 42mm rep? I'm convinced it's an ETA movement and it is a very nice rep. Maybe as nice as any rep I've ever had, but I had my heart set on 42mm. Next to a sub or any 40mm watch it looks even smaller because it is so thin, which I suppose is fine for me as I have smallish wrists. My 42mm Omega dwarfs it. To the sellers credit he did say it was smallish and wore more like a Rolex, so I have not complained to him, nor am I complaining here. I really just want to know if there is a larger VCO out there. I did pay top dollar though and if there is a 42mm VC overseas out there that measures 42 across the case, I'll keep watching the boards. Does anyone have one of these they can measure for me? I have a cheapo VCO with faux chrono and it is exactly the same size, other than a bit thicker due to the movement. It was advertised as 40mm. Everything but the size is as described and I wouldn't send it back even if I could, but if there's a 42 I still want one, then I might think about selling this one.

From original owner Specs and mods -

- 1:1 case 42mm

- Swiss ETA 2824 movement - Keeping time within 5 sec per day / 2+ day PR.

- Chief double AR on Sapphire crystal - Unmarked

- The Zigmeister Lume

- Silix cross transplant by Ziggy (original cross was way too big)

- Proper/best clasp added

- Awesome ship case back

Would help to see pics. Even comparison to sub

sms

I'll post when I get home. I've been in panama just about ever since I received te watch and don't have any pics or he watch with me