yawn

Compare 2 VCO rep models with gen, and decision on purchase/mod

yawn

As title stated, I did some cross comparisons among 2 reps and gen VCO and findings are summarise below:

ETA movement VCO from toro:

30kynpk.jpg

Asian ETA movement from Marry:

ilvrf9.jpg

Gen:

9g97py.jpg

Though vco from toro seems make less mistake but I just can't stand for the wrong logo. And this crazy thought starts to circulating in my mind that I should buy both watches and attach the logo from mary to dail from toro, so the only apparent tell (except the texture of dial) will be the SWISS MADE. I should salvage some money back by selling the the wrong logo on mary's vco.

The bracelet might need a rebrush and repolish to make it looks more like gen, i ll see what my local watchsmith can do about it.

Edit: now i have both versions on my hand and i have to say, if you want to just buy one and don't care about the flasws, GET THE Asian ETA movement one, it has an overall better finish and a much much better bracelet.

I will send both watches to Goin to put them together to form a super rep, stay tune for the end result pics in about 1-2 months time.

Edit 2: here is the dial of the ETA version:

5oz8et.jpg

as we can see, the dial has a cream colour, which is more gen like, the Asian movement has a bleach white dial colour, but the cross on ETA model is just horrible.

now, this is the crown of two watches,

f9kwwl.jpg

the left one is the asian version, which the cross is obvious off, the right one is from ETA version, which has a much better finish.

So the idea to create a super VCO is to put the cross on Asian version on the dial and case of ETA version (which has double AR as I remembered, I might be wrong), use the Asian movement and hand (since the hand has better finish), relume the dial and do a bit end link treatment (the edge is not level with case).

I will keep updating this post when the project is completed.

Edited by yawn

Dinicol

Like the review, -same price point for both??? and how do they feel on?? weight ok? -Dinicol

replicastuff

I feel your pain... would it be.worth waiting until they make improvements. i can see the small things could drive u nuts...

yawn

Like the review, -same price point for both??? and how do they feel on?? weight ok? -Dinicol

the eta movement costs around $350ish

the asian clone costs around $250ish

i ordered the latter and currently waiting for qc.

Dinicol

Yes, nice one, I am looking at the same watch from Joshua (around $310), -he says it's the best copy he has. -Have you compared his version? -Dinicol

yawn

Yes, nice one, I am looking at the same watch from Joshua (around $310), -he says it's the best copy he has. -Have you compared his version? -Dinicol

i think there are only 2 versions out there.

and i have made my decision, i m gotta to buy both and put them together to make a super VCO (not to mention Mary's version has a slightly off 12 clock marker, and she confirmed it is a common issue with this version)

Dinicol

You'll have a super watch!!!! How big is watch????? And does it 'feel' the weight you would expect or is it 'tinny'????

yawn
You'll have a super watch!!!! How big is watch????? And does it 'feel' the weight you would expect or is it 'tinny'????

its 42mm so quite similar compare to Rolex sub and by far it's the most comfortable bracet watch to wear I had so far. I just received my era version and will send both watch for modding(put them together)

buyingmytime

I own the Overseas "Deep Stream" rep and I love it. Only problem with some of these is the piece that connects the watch head to the bracelet (sorry don't know the proper name) isn't always a perfect fit into the bezel and makes it scream rep. I didn't notice this on my QC pics, but when I got it I took the whole thing apart and hand filed the "knub" to make it fit cleaner. The QC pics you have from Toro look pretty good IMO.

Member X

All the reps available from the Trusted Dealers are made from Stainless Steel or Titanium - they will have a pretty accurate weight and not feel cheap or light unless the gen construction is also light.

yawn

now updated with progress

paulro

Cala I think your'e correct. This seems accurate. It is 38mm though. All the 42mm are way off.

I like this.

cala1981

I was hoping the 38mm was a typo. Dial looks very accurate.

paulro

What about Andrew at trusty time site page 11?

Looks ok but in all of the pictures I look at the 12 and the 1 next to the 2 looks wrong.

Is that my eyes?

What does anyone else think.

wild05kid05

Let me make this clear:

Puretime/Sillix : wrong hands, short second hand, wrong font, wrong "geneve" with no accent, correct swiss made placement, trapezoidial date window slightly big, correct logo

Cartel ones from other TDs: correct hands, correct font, correct "geneve" with accent, wrong swiss placement, little to no trapezoidial date window, wrong logo (small)

I'd just pick the cartel.

yawn
Let me make this clear:

Puretime/Sillix : wrong hands, short second hand, wrong font, wrong "geneve" with no accent, correct swiss made placement, trapezoidial date window slightly big, correct logo

Cartel ones from other TDs: correct hands, correct font, correct "geneve" with accent, wrong swiss placement, little to no trapezoidial date window, wrong logo (small)

I'd just pick the cartel.

Believe me, the correct logo is more important; little to no people will notice the other flaws. Though cartel comes with 'Swiss' movement, I m not exactly how reliable is it compare to Asian clone eta.

wild05kid05

Wrong hand and especially shorter second turn me off completely ...

The cartel is the one you got from Mary.

Edit: Shorter second hand is in the Puretime black dial version

Edited by wild05kid05

yawn

null_zps5c9b7c2f.jpg

After putting two watch together with best part, I made a mistake glue the logo too low, then I have to dissolve it and the process destroy the SWISS ETA version's dial. So I have to use the cartel dial. But I used the ETA version inner bezel ring, hands and crown, which are more accurate. I guess this is the best version I can do with the materials on hand. The date wheel windows is still wrong tho.

parrott

Looks amazing! Good job!

SirDennis

where can i get replacement bracelet for this mine has broken clasp

jdog

where can i get replacement bracelet for this mine has broken clasp

Maybe reach out to a TD or put up a WTB rather than nerco-bumping old irrelevant post, unless your just trying the reach the magical 5 hmmmm