Sign in to follow this  
Phantomtech

Comparison between the two 5227 RG reps

Phantomtech

I just recently heard about the new Miyota release and figured this comparison will help me and maybe others decide if one should pull the trigger, especially if you own the older version like I do.

jzkPa9.jpg

Dial Profile:

It always bothered me on my A2824 that the case bezel was very thin and not enough gold is visible head on. From the photos I always saw of the gen it just seemed to me that the bezel was thicker, therefore more gold was visible. The new BP Miyota seems to have corrected this with a thicker bezel. Dial also seems a drop more cream colored - which is good. Although hard to tell from the lighting.

Side Profile:

Another thing that bothered me on my A2824 was that the sides didn't appear as tapered as gen, it just felt too thick. The BP Miyota is definitely more tapered, the whole case seems thinner and more elegant, especially by the lugs. The lugs look now a bit thinner which is similar to gen. I think it will now sit better on the wrist than my A2824 which sits pretty high.

Caseback and movement:

Nothing will ever come close to the beauty that is a Patek movement, but the Miyota version is definitely cleaner than the A2824 therefore much better looking (not withstanding the rotor noise). The inside of the caseback is now polished as per gen, and I hear the hinge is like gen as well, not like the wonky A2824 I own.

Winner (based off the dealers photos alone):

Clearly the BP Miyota!

Since this is my favorite Calatrava model, I have now gone and ordered all 3 versions of the new BP Miyota, White gold, Yellow Gold and Rose Gold. I will also order the White gold with Black Dial as soon as they fix the datewheel.

Edited by Phantomtech

peteins

lovely comparison, but im waiting for an ivory dial :)

Edited by peteins

myaz

Thanks for a very useful review.

budfox1028

Nice review, congrats on all three metals! I may follow suit on that one!

Retina

thanks for the review phantom, was on the edge of getting one, this review cuts it :D

lef808

Not sure if you were joking or not, but I believe the ivory dial is not an issue and is included in the both versions. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken!

UmpaHimself

Very nice. Now this is a thread worth reading

_DC_

Not sure if you were joking or not, but I believe the ivory dial is not an issue and is included in the both versions. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken!

Ok...... you are mistaken!

The new Miyota version only comes with an off white dial, whereas the 2824 comes with either off white or an ivory (darker creamy coloured) dial, which is supposedly closer to gen by all accounts!

DC

peteins

The new Miyota version only comes with an off white dial, whereas the 2824 comes with either off white or an ivory (darker creamy coloured) dial, which is supposedly closer to gen by all accounts!

DC

What DC said :)

Phantomtech

DC

I was under the impression that the ivory dial available with the 2824 is actually too dark, whereas the off white dial is much closer to the gen look. The gen dial will only look ivory while in darker indoor lighting, any photos in natural lighting will look very close to our off white rep dials.

Maybe our dials are not 100% accurate but I think it is a step closer than the ivory dial. And that is just my humble opinion and the reason I didn't buy the ivory dial.

See here a dark indoor lighting photo of the gen:

PkYC2F.jpg

But in any other lighting the gen looks VERY similar to our off white dials:

yIkE2g.jpg

Gl6GJJ.jpg

v4yWYw.png

jZdID5.jpg

And here is the ivory dial found in the 2824, a bit too dark in any lighting imo:

oDDpX0.jpg

dnSwZW.jpg

4k0BRj.jpg

Edited by Phantomtech

peteins

DC

I was under the impression that the ivory dial available with the 2824 is actually too dark, whereas the off white dial is much closer to the gen look. The gen dial will only look ivory while in darker indoor lighting, any photos in natural lighting will look very close to our off white rep dials.

Maybe our dials are not 100% accurate but I think it is a step closer than the ivory dial. And that is just my humble opinion and the reason I didn't buy the ivory dial.

See here a dark indoor lighting photo of the gen:

PkYC2F.jpg

But in any other lighting the gen looks VERY similar to our off white dials:

yIkE2g.jpg

Gl6GJJ.jpg

v4yWYw.png

jZdID5.jpg

And here is the ivory dial found in the 2824, a bit too dark in any lighting imo:

oDDpX0.jpg

dnSwZW.jpg

4k0BRj.jpg

I have seen the gens all lined up in a shop window, the ivory looks pretty darn ivoryish to me. the 2824 is too dark, but on the new model it is just plain white, so not even close to the gen in terms of ivoryness.

But yeah i totally agree that the 2824 is too dark and yellow, however the miyota is not there in my opinion in terms of dial ivory goodness.

I think if you had the gen ivory dial in your hand and put it next a white dial version it would really stand out, but i suppose if you have nothing to compare it to then the white dial miyota looks nice

_DC_

I've not yet had the pleasure of meeting the gen in person so can only go by photography, and I agree the "cream" or "yellow" darker dial version of the 2824 is perhaps a little dark though I've seen pictures in different lighting where it looks spot on so it could just be toros pics, but equally the "white" dial and the new Miyota dial certainly don't give the creamy rich ivory look of the gen in ANY light. In truth, regardless of colour, the dial will never compare to the gen. It is laquered (several layers as I understand it) and this gives it an almost opaque glassy quality which the flat coloured rep dial just doesn't come close to!!

DC

Phantomtech

Yes, I agree that neither dial is closely accurate but I would rather the lighter dial which can look a bit similar to the gen in outdoor lighting or natural lighting than the rep ivory dial which will look far to dark in any lighting.

I did not know about the lacquer they use for the gen dial, very interesting, That's probably why it is so hard to get that rich color. I guess we can't have it all.

truekumar

Hi guys, which dealers sell the new BP Miyota, do you have any links? Please post, cheers!

Foxindebox

Just to weigh in..

Here is an indoor pic of the Gen 5227

47EAC1F7-5808-4E9E-952C-AB04D130005C_zpspljemvyb.jpg

An indoor (out of direct sunlight) pic of the ivory dial Rep

6671471D-7B06-4742-8D20-9066F7B0BD84_zpsj2kqucmh.jpg

And an indoor (in sunlight through window) pic of the Rep

1E290865-E1BB-4FF4-A697-FF42745B52F1_zpsmyo74vz7.jpg

Phantomtech

You are making me eat my words :P your watch looks great!

Foxindebox

Cheers bro, this one is the Ivory one from Toro :)

lef808

DC

Thanks DC for clarifying the details!!!

Phantomtech

Here is a photo from budfox1028 showing the Miyota off white dial in indoor lighting. Looks pretty close to the gen ivory imo.

YKSGku.jpg

I guess nothing will completely match the gen dial, it is just too perfect. But this rep is one hell of a good try!

Retina

It's a watch that doesn't draw attention due to it's simplicity. Understated. Unlikely someone would even know that the price is over 30k if your wearing a gen