Sign in to follow this  
PolonusTM

KW PAM 622 Paneristi Russia - small review

PolonusTM

Pam 622 “Paneristi Russia”

The story of this mysterious watch goes like this:

1. Sig. Angelo Bonati visited new OP boutique in Moscow in June 2014 and agreed to make dedicated PAM for Russian paneristi.

2. on 11.07.2014 details were published on Russian Paneristi sub-forum (http://forum.watch.r...ad.php?t=228841), with these details:

- case of 1940 type, diameter of 47 mm

- movement P.3000 (3 days reserve), without seconds

- black sandwich dial

- golden hands (like on PAM 424)

- full caseback with appropriate engravings

- golden cashmere strap (like for Fiddy PAM 127) - first photos/renderings wrongly shown assolutamente strap

- price - approx. €8000,-

- payment scenario - 30% of deposit to be left in Moscow’s Panerai boutique when placing order and remaining 70% when picking the watch

- expected availability - February 2015

3. Russian Paneristis quickly build a list of want-to-be-owners - the first idea of limited run was 100 then it was narrowed to just 60.

from this moment starts history of replication:

4. on 02.09.2014 I was browsing Russian Paneristi forum (I am old enough to have somewhat rusty ability to read/speak Russian from times we were forced to learn this language in Polish schools) - to find new ideas about straps for PAM’s - Russians have good taste in this regard. And I found info about 622. I have collected all the info I could deduct from Russian site and passed all of it to KW via Joshua/PC since to me caseset was more or less the same as for PAM 532 without DLC.

5. Then it was hunt for correct BB/nos pairs and the rest is already known.

The watch used to be a mystery also for other Paneristis - i.e. Jake’s Panerai Wold mentioned it in December 2014: http://paneraiworld....-paneristi.html

Quoting Jake: “(…) This model appears to be based upon the Rolex made Reference 6154 Radiomir, and is the very first example Panerai has made of this magnificent design.(…) they (Panerai) stun us with this model which appears to be based upon the Rolex Made Vintage Panerai Reference 6154, which has been nicknamed as "The Small Egiziano”.

You can read about vintage Panerai ref. 6154 here: http://www.vintagepa...i.com/tag/6154/

Some Paneristis recognised this LE release as a kind of let down from Panerai - they all wanted this kind of vintage re-release but this only was 60 units and apparently, all sold out to Russian Paneristis… Some owners probably flipped their watches so some units found a way to other markets but, you know - no significant number, probably single digit ;)

The replication is of usual KW quality - good overall. Details:

- flawless dial

- very good sapphire with single sided but quite efficient AR

- crazy(!) strong lume

- a bit too small logo on crown’s cap

- lug holes placed a bit too low - like 1 mm too low when comparing with PAM 532 caseset details

- gold double pencil hands (first batch had wrong minute hand, replaced quickly with correct one by KW). Indexed hour hand helps to recognise it even easier in dark.

- nice CP

- strap - of a bit better quality than regular rep strap - you don’t feel like you need to toss it away the first minute you own the rep ;) Anyway, genuine strap seems to be more padded.

- very nice caseback engravings, everything centred and so on (we all remember these problems with rep 532…)

- movement: bare bone Asian 6497 with decorative plates to mimic I don’t know what ;) I tossed them right away - since they were mounted with double sided adhesive tape, not so strong.

To be honest, after all that efforts to deliver to KW all needed photos/information - I was a bit shocked to get photos of 622 with wrong minute hand… what a mess… Anyway, after quick nudge, they confirmed there will be corrected version. And here it is :)

I got the watch usual way, from Joshua/PC.

Photos:

622%20-%201_zpsojlhgxwm.jpg

622%20-%202_zpslyhacmx3.jpg

622%20-%203_zpskts1z53g.jpg

622%20-%204_zpss585v9ty.jpg

622%20-%205_zpslwsj1csn.jpg

622%20-%206_zpsm56bpauq.jpg

622%20-%207_zpsxssubg8b.jpg

622%20-%208_zpsw82ggoxa.jpg

622%20-%209_zpsbcehbd8u.jpg

622%20-%2010_zps5uvzmizq.jpg

622%20-%2011_zpsfly55mkq.jpg

622%20-%2012_zpsonyoiavn.jpg

622%20-%2013_zpsscupdv1i.jpg

622%20-%2014_zpsvvmyrqxb.jpg

622%20-%2015_zpshh23vxmp.jpg

IMG_0049_zpshns76s8n.jpg

Edited by PolonusTM

PolonusTM
XyBt7eN.jpg

kiko1314

Nice review. I have a quick question. Is KW the only factory making this watch right now? I saw V6F on Toro's site with the wrong minute hand but he later confirmed that the second batch is updated with the correct hand shape. His price remains 198 as of right now so I am wondering are those the same watch?

ebzen02

Only one factory that we know of

kiko1314

Only one factory that we know of

So the V6F is the same as KW? It's so confusing ><

ebzen02

yes

UmpaHimself

Great review. Mine should arrive by the end of the week if not tomorrow. It feels weird with such a limited watch but I wanted a 47mm PAM that included a closed caseback to hide the movement so this was the best choice. Glad to hear the strap is nice too. Thank you for your work on this!

PolonusTM

The strap is the same as for upcoming KW PAM127, I suppose.

One more:

NLupZJy.jpg

Cubic Hare

Nice Panewristi ;) Looking into getting one myself.

Edit: ordered... Let the wait begin..

Cheers

ALE7575

Thanks Polonus

Nice review and nice watch. Congrats

I know you have made a very good and hard job with Joshua and KW to get this rep. I can imagine your disappointment when you saw the wrong minute hand, fortunately already corrected.

The rep seems high level, Sandwich dial looks awesome with deep cutouts and well defined, hands and CP are really good, crystal looks impressive with its simple AR, Crown is nice and it s a pity a bit small logo, caseback looks awesome in accuracy and quality. Overal finish of the case is the usual from KW and the result is really nice.

It is a shame the wrong position of lug holes. I don't understand why maker have not corrected this position in many rep 1940 cases.

The gen-like appearance is really good and I thnik KW has made a good job.

Bearing in mind the little flaws regarding crown logo and lug holes position I can agree with an evaluation of Super rep bordering lower status

Or at least Frist class rep bordering Super rep status in case we find some other little flaws

Thanks again

ALE

kiko1314

Ordered and let the wait begin. I also have a 6154 on the way to me from service. Hope the wife won't find the difference.

"Is that a new watch??!!"

"No, just a new strap, that's all honey..."

PolonusTM

Ordered and let the wait begin. I also have a 6154 on the way to me from service. Hope the wife won't find the difference.

"Is that a new watch??!!"

"No, just a new strap, that's all honey..."

I use different method - I am asking my wife to purchase me as a present new strap from some local maker. Every time I got similiar Pam - I put it on one of straps from my wife - that is what she recognized as "old thing". So in case of any event - "just swapping straps, Honey"..

UmpaHimself

Polonus, I just ordered this strap for mine. What do you think? I saw a gen golden calf 26x26 on Paneristi but it was $400 and a little too dark so I decided to go with the Heroic18

bZJ0R0V.jpg

Martijn0007

Great review! :clap:

PolonusTM

Polonus, I just ordered this strap for mine. What do you think? I saw a gen golden calf 26x26 on Paneristi but it was $400 and a little too dark so I decided to go with the Heroic18

bZJ0R0V.jpg

Can't go wrong with Heroic's straps :) and this one is correct match, indeed. Post a wristie when you get it.

UmpaHimself

Can't go wrong with Heroic's straps :) and this one is correct match, indeed. Post a wristie when you get it.

Absolutely. My only concern is how classy the gen strap is comparatively with it's slimmer height. I feel like it's more interchangeable between work and casual as opposed to the Heroic. Still I think the Heroic will look fantastic.

PolonusTM

one more:

Enlight1_zps628whnnt.jpg

Not That Rich

Nice review and pictures Polonus

I have now ordered one!

kiko1314

Just got one from River along with my 6154. I will post some pictures later tonight.

Here is my initial observation.

Like Polonus said earlier, the dial is flawless. The cut is really clean and smooth. The print is very Gen like. I cannot see any difference from the Gen picture with my untrained eyes. Lume is strong enough but not as strong as the 111. But I guess for vintage colored lume it is really good. The hands are beautifully finished without any dust, finger print or scratch on them.

The case shape is pretty accurate. The only thing is the lug hole position but again, no one in the wild will see it. Case back is also spot on.

Strap is nice, too. It is a little bit stiff at first but after one morning it breaks in smoothly. The buckle is beefy and the brushed finish and engrave really gives it a Gen like feeling.

Overall, this is a quality watch and one should not overlook the small flaws it has. (crown logo size, lug hole, etc) For 2.5% of the price Gen goes for (retail but remember they only made 60 pieces so the price will go up in the future), you get 95% of the Gen. (unless you really need the hour hand function and 3 day power reserve that P3000 movt has :giggle: )

JMMC

V2 of this watch (correct hands) is awesome. Could be named a super-rep (crown logo size and lug hole "minor" faults only). The price is also awesome, and what's more, it matches many strap styles and colors. Just by changing straps you can have a "different good looking watch" .

During summer mine was in a light cream leather aligator strap, needless to say I only received signs of aproval. Now waitting for a OEM gen golden cashmere strap. Yes is going to cost more that the head, bit I think it deserves it.

Hasat

Very nice