Sign in to follow this  
ShadyManc

KW PAM 605 Oberservations

ShadyManc

So my PAM 605 arrived today, one of the very few reps I've purchased this year and my reasons for doing so were two-fold:-

1. I'm on the waiting list for the gen, so wanted to try the rep out before travelling from the UK to Florence.

2. I've sold on all my other 47mm PAMs as whilst I can wear a 47, I prefer 42-45mm watches in general

I have to say the watch isn't singing to me out of the box, the dial and sunburst effect are fantastic in pictures, but in the flesh the face is a little bit washy, it doesn't pop, but it most certainly pops on photos. The face on photos is much darker than it looks in real-time. The indices don't really jump out, don't get me wrong, it's not difficult to see, it just doesn't pop. It's all a bit of an anti-climax if I'm honest, and I'm not going to travel to Florence at this point for the gen. I need to try it in different conditions, its midday here, it's very sunny, so perhaps it will take on a different life in different lighting conditions but truth told I want a watch that pops in virtually all conditions.

In terms of the rep itself, it's excellent. Not withstanding the movement issue, that to me isn't a huge factor, it looks very good. For a big watch it's surprisingly comfortable, it's not too heavy at all. I put it on a Wotancraft '74 and it's an OK match, strap could do with being a little darker, a dark brown strap maybe & perhaps this would make the face pop more. Have to say the rep ASSO is very good.

It's a very different PAM, one that I would love to love, but at the moment it's just not singing to me. The face, whilst beautifully executed, just doesn't wow me in real-life, whereas in photos it looks like one of the finest PAMs I've seen in a long time. I'll probably turn my gen attention to a 372 or 422, essentially the same case, few variations but with a more classic Panerai face colour.

This isn't a review, more the musings of a broken-hearted Paneristi that wanted to love this watch above all others, but for me, so far at least, it isn't singing to me.

IMG_1938_zpsdpmsbvjr.jpg

IMG_1940_zps6joshxh1.jpg

IMG_1939_zpsw31kulfo.jpg

King

Sorry to hear that -- was excited to see this one in person myself ... Might take it off your hands if only you were CONUS.

Kleen™

I understand EXACTLY where you're coming from: It does look amazing in photies and partially in the flesh, but also weirdly kinda....ehm...dull...?!

ShadyManc

Sorry to hear that -- was excited to see this one in person myself ... Might take it off your hands if only you were CONUS.

I'll be in CONUS next week, all week, on business in Dallas. If you're interested PM me and I'll bring it over with me on Sunday, post out Monday.

ShadyManc

I understand EXACTLY where you're coming from: It does look amazing in photies and partially in the flesh, but also weirdly kinda....ehm...dull...?!

It's the strangest thing, at certain angles it absolutely pops, but face-on, in good light, it's just OK, nothing particularly special. It is without doubt the best watch to photograph though.

simonbolivar

Looks like you may have saved yourself $13k

ShadyManc

Looks like you may have saved yourself $13k

Indeed :-)

Don't think they're $13k though.

frakius

I wonder if the Gens dial has more pop to it than the rep? Saying that I still think it looks beautiful.

norrie

This is KW?

ShadyManc
This is KW?

Yes

norrie

I just got mine yesterday too and it's thumbs to the side for me too at the moment. Hopefully it's a grower.

norrie

It's growing on me. It's definitely a chameleon. It looks pretty dull if it's not getting bright light but outside, it's stunning. Just need to get the right strap. This isn't it but I prefer it to the grey asso.

21617109666_3af9bb96ee_c.jpg

21457375329_f34593488e_c.jpg

Edited by norrie

ATEspo

I missed out when KW did that sale about a month ago.

I've been on the lookout for one to pop up in M2M.

If anyone has one they dont wear much, let me know, I'd love to try one out.

stormtooper4

That's the money shot , if it looked that good all the time it would be a keeper for sure.

I hear you on the dullness, I have the same feeling about 177/176's, had a few, always want like them but never held on for too long

It's growing on me. It's definitely a chameleon. It looks pretty dull if it's not getting bright light but outside, it's stunning. Just need to get the right strap. This isn't it but I prefer it to the grey asso.

21617109666_3af9bb96ee_c.jpg

Edited by stormtooper4

JMMC

IMHO, KW too much yellow "LUMINOR PANERAI - FIRENZE" dial inscrptions not macthing lume color are (as all dial faults) a BIG tell.

I think ZF version is better.

Edited by JMMC

Andrey PAM

I cannot understand, ... unless so it is complex to pick up color of a paint as in GEN ? :sad:

UmpaHimself

Damn I really want one. Thinking about replacing my 372 with that but I am going to wait on a better dial. It needs more blue less brown.

Member X

I've been away so long, I wasn't even aware of this model's existence until I logged back in today!

I think it looks like one of those watches that has 'character' and grows on you over time. I think I'll add it to the list for when I am rich... lol

It looks like the rep has amazing quality in the pics, though!