Sign in to follow this  
RichardMiami

Need a watch serviced? (Gen only)... worried about cost?

RichardMiami

Here is the full service list from the Swatch Group for their 2015 watch movement services:

FULL LIST: http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=7108527&rid=12189#msg_7108527

This includes: Blancpain, Breguet, Glashütte Original, Jaquet Droz, Omega, Longines and Rado,Tissot, Mido and Hamilton.

Here is a snippet:

2015-09-24_22-05-44_zpspbs4upum.jpg

ElvisFreak

just insane....

LightGeek

So 4 weeks ago I sent my Omega in to be serviced. It's $700 and change (Canadian). I'm waiting for it's return...

James.

I just had a 1601 serviced, and my speedy in getting done now and its north of $1000... should've just bought a new watch!

nunu78

Thanks guys for helping me out, as I was thinking to sell my collection and go gen. Thank you for bring me to my senses, reps are more fun and more money for my kids.

rawbaws

Surely those prices for quartz are more than it costs them to replace the whole movement

Daywatch

Those prices still are way cheaper than in the EU. 4me it was the reason to leave the running gens unserviced and to start collecting reps. And those prices are going up fast each Year, by 2025 it will be the double and by 2040 can´t even figure it.

GenTLe

Insane...

I understand the 170$ for the Eta based Hamilton and Tissot, but then there are similar watches that aren't more complex and are quoted 3x... Nothing realistic... But yeah, that's luxury market...

Doomsday

I just don't get why they charge that much for the quartz service.

black263

I just don't get why they charge that much for the quartz service.

Because people will pay.

elp

Still cheaper than SSTEEL :)

black263

At the other end of the servicing costs, I've recently bought three mega-cheap quartz reps for the girls. They absolutely love them and have worn them since they arrived. The crap leather strap didn't bother them, nor the fact that when you push in the crown after setting, the time can change up to 5 mins (took me a lot of work to get the time right). Servicing - forget it. If the battery runs out, it's cheaper to throw the watch away and give them a new watch. (I have 6 sitting in the cupboard as battle-damage replacements) That's why I stick to reps, and forget these silly name gens.

Kleen™

Which (sadly) reminds me, that my IWC is due for a service, but being a chrono the servicing alone could buy me a lot of top-shelf reps. A lot...:(

dalboy

Gen services charges ..................................." Good money for Old rope "

Genius

My old seamaster is probably isn't worth much more than the $675 that the old calibre service costs, although it probably classes as a very old calibre so no doubt will be more expensive making the service more than the watch is worth

James.

Theres always just regular watchsmiths that (usually) charge a lot less...

Markrfc

2 years ago Rolex quoted me £1900 to service my 16800, sold it and bought a new one nutters.

Daywatch

The Swiss in general and Richemont in special do know how to protect their business model/ watch industry. That´s where all the hype around phasing out the ETA and introducing wonderful, special, in-house movements comes from as a long-term strategy. Soon there will be no alternative than to service with the AD. The car industry has managed that quite well already with smaller mechanics just disappearing because they can´t even afford to have the special tools/software for each and every brand/model.

kennycoder

For gens I can advise http://watchguy.co.uk/ .. he also mentioned about Swatch stopping selling parts to private repairmen...

kennycoder

Also.. I wonder how the FUCK do they charge extra 35 motherfucking dollars to remove SS bracelet? This is assrape...

Foxindebox
For gens I can advise http://watchguy.co.uk/ .. he also mentioned about Swatch stopping selling parts to private repairmen...

+1

I've always had fantastic service from Christian and I highly recommend him.

rawbaws

Pretty sure it would include a bracelet refinish

James.

Its called a monopoly guys... :lol:

Consider patek/AP/ALS costs...

Duzza

They don't even service a quartz movement, just swap it out. Daylight robbery!

Mariner89

They better throw in a few complimentary pubes for these prices jeez