Sign in to follow this  
WatchDog21

Toro’s PAM 511 - A Mini Review w/updated pics

WatchDog21

I began a search for what I would consider a dress watch. It seemed like most of the watches that I was finding and classified as “Dress” were on what I consider the smaller side with an average 40mm case. My perfect range is a 45-47mm for my 7.5” wrist.

On Oct 1 nalonrico posted a wristie of his PAM 511 on a nice custom leather strap and immediately I knew that would fit my requirements perfect. I sent nalonrico a pm and inquired some additional information. He kindly pointed me over to Toro. I had not made any purchases from Toro yet but nalonrico let me know to just pm him to inquire about using PayPal. The entire process was fast! PM sent and quickly replied with the goahead for PayPal.

Order placed on 10-02-2015, QC’s received and OK’d for shipping on 10-03-2015.

I knew I wanted a nicer leather strap even though the reviews here indicated that the overall quality on the rep strap really was not bad. Following up on a different post from GentLE I went to an eBay seller in Vietnam. He did not have anything that would fit me listed so I made contact with him and requested a different size. Great service and communication from this seller. We worked out all the details and the order was placed on 10-04-2015. On 10-20-2015 I received the pictures of the finished strap and made the payment. Ten days later and the strap had arrived!

All of this is a bit of a preamble to the actual watch. It seems Toro takes a lot of flak for things that really are not his fault. The only thing I want to call Toro out on is the wristie he posted on 10-30-2015. I believe his account got hijacked. I know what Toro’s hands and nails look like from reviewing all the QC’s and this wristie was not his :giggle: Toro advised against DHL shipping and recommended air mail; not what I wanted but I trusted his experience and followed his advice. No complaints at all!

Toro provided fantastic and fast service!

And Now the Watch! Toro’s Description:

DESCRIPTION: From the V6 Factory

CASE: 18K Rose Gold Plated Solid 316L Stainless Steel Case

MOVEMENT: Asian UNITAS 6497-2 17J Hand-Winding Movement Mod P5000 Plate

DIMENSIONS: 44mm x 15mm

CRYSTAL: Sapphire Crystal with AR Coating

STRAP / BRACELET: Leather

Overall quality is great! I am easy to please and not that picky. The biggest thing that struck me on this watch is that the case is a 44mm but I swear it wears closer to a 47mm and in my book this is a bonus!

The finish: Rose Gold is a good quality and tone. I did notice a VERY SMALL unevenness in one spot of the plating. I believe it is close to the 6 and 7 marker however you can’t see it until it is viewed on a macro photo shot.

The movement: what can you say… it is a 6497 and feels smooth and solid when winding. The 6497 is my preferred movement in the lower prices reps ( < $300 )

The lume: I will let the pictures do the speaking on this. I think it is pretty darn good

The strap: As others have stated, the leather strap that comes with the watch is not a bad quality at all. It has a decent feel and texture to it and came with the RG Panerai buckle. My personal taste just did not care for the white stitching as I felt it took away from a dressier look.

The croc strap from Vietnam: $35 delivered from Vietnam. Genuine croc, padded 5mm on the lug end down to a 2mm. The color, stitching and overall craftsmanship is really nice especially at this price point. This will not need much breaking in at all. I placed a RG deployment clasp on this in place of the Panerai buckle since I felt it gives the overall look of the watch a dressier appeal ( IMO ) which was my goal.

Overall experience: In less than 30 days from order I have both a fantastic watch and custom leather strap both from Asia to the USA and I think that is great service.

Watch Ordered: 10-02-2015 / Received: 10-18-2015

Strap Ordered: 10-04-2015 / Received 10-30-2015

And now the pics!

On the original rep strap first:

22271914725_73a038a90d_c.jpg

and then on the croc strap

22435100180_fc8f403296_c.jpg

22596986056_fe803a2fd4_c.jpg

22435032390_c78caf27e2_c.jpg

22622925045_01f4758f06_c.jpg

22001825013_3c25f26aca_c.jpg

21626257213_55a1a3a5b2_c.jpg

21994700903_60e1bff18a_c.jpg

Thanks for looking and now it looks like I need to update my post for my collection. :rolleyes:

Kcore

Thanks cmd for sharing your experiences with Toro and the strapmaker. I think your choices for a dress watch were spot on. Both watch and strap look fantastic! :thumbsup: I especially like how the strapmaker used the piece of hide where the croc scales change in size on the strap's tail end.

Enjoy and wear only in health!

WatchDog21

Thanks cmd for sharing your experiences with Toro and the strapmaker. I think your choices for a dress watch were spot on. Both watch and strap look fantastic! :thumbsup: I especially like how the strapmaker used the piece of hide where the croc scales change in size on the strap's tail end.

Enjoy and wear only in health!

Thanks E, glad to see ya here. Been awhile but know you have been pretty busy!

Squidward77

Wow, beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Mr Stubbs

That strap is amazing. It gives the watch an air of craftsmanship and authenticity.

You'll be getting PMs for the maker, no doubt about it!

philippe123

VERY STYLISCH !

Nice crocco indeed...

azmanltd

Very nice watch. Congratulations!

stormtooper4

Nice watch & great Combo

Lolo1972sg

That is so beatiful. Nice rose gold version. Even the rep strap looks nice!

hilbre

And that's from turo bravo?

Bluenose

Which strap maker did you use for the croc?

It's a great colour that really pairs well with the watch

How's the stitching on the strap....I bought one and the croc was amazing but the stitching left a lot to be desired!!

WatchDog21

How's the stitching on the strap....I bought one and the croc was amazing but the stitching left a lot to be desired!!

I'm no expert on how stitching should look when it comes to an indication of if it is good or bad. Upon a close visual inspection it seems that it is of a good quality but I imagine that time will be the true test. This seller had been on eBay for almost 3 yrs now and has pretty good feedback. Here is a link: http://www.ebay.com/usr/vnhandcraftart?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

Bluenose

I'm no expert on how stitching should look when it comes to an indication of if it is good or bad. Upon a close visual inspection it seems that it is of a good quality but I imagine that time will be the true test. This seller had been on eBay for almost 3 yrs now and has pretty good feedback. Here is a link: http://www.ebay.com/usr/vnhandcraftart?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

It's a great watch with a beautiful strap. Thanks for the prompt on the maker

maximusrg1

Hi

great review and strap combo...

how is the winding holding up? How many days later you need to wind again?

WatchDog21

Hi

great review and strap combo...

how is the winding holding up? How many days later you need to wind again?

Crazy I know but I have not really worn it as of yet. It will get a good test this week though since it is one of 3 watches I am taking on a cruise. I have wound it up a few times and that is as smooth as silk, no issues what so ever. This one will not get tons of wrist time since I am going to use it as more of a dress watch and being a jeans and t-shirt guy getting in "dressed up" attire is not a common thing for me.

BM284

Really great watch and strap combination - enjoy wearing it!!

WatchDog21

My appreciation for this grew by about $22,800.00. I just tried on the gen. For a 22k in savings I could not be happier!

the_frenchman

Mine says hiDSC_0040_zpsjefz1peb.jpg

Very good choice, IMO the best watch so far in my personal collection.

Thanks for sharing the strap maker. Im going the pull the trigger in on of those nice alligator straps

MoSin

Congrats for the new Watch mate .

I got my PAM111 from TORO , and I am Getting the zenith Pilot Type 20 ......

Toro is the Man , Really .

I just Like dealing with Toro . Good Store , good feedback , good communication through email & forum messages .

Just Great .

alexjustdoit

Bit of a bump, but I just ordered a 511 and am looking for a strap, it is 24/22mm right? Cant verify the buckle width anywhere. Thanks

WatchDog21

Bit of a bump, but I just ordered a 511 and am looking for a strap, it is 24/22mm right? Cant verify the buckle width anywhere. Thanks

Yes, the rep strap is 24/22. The croc strap that I obtained is a 24/24

alexjustdoit

Ah, thank you. Where did you get the 24mm RG clasp? I might need one if I can't find a suitable 24/22 strap to go with the rep buckle.

Thanks for the strap seller link too actually, they've got some nice gator straps and I was thinking on pulling the trigger on one.

Edited by alexjustdoit

WatchDog21

Ah, thank you. Where did you get the 24mm RG clasp? I might need one if I can't find a suitable 24/22 strap to go with the rep buckle.

Thanks for the strap seller link too actually, they've got some nice gator straps and I was thinking on pulling the trigger on one.

Clasp came from an ebay seller also. Here is their store: http://stores.ebay.com/WHOLESALEOUTLET990?_trksid=p2047675.l2563