Sign in to follow this  
spboudart

Review of the Panerai Pam 339

spboudart

Intro :

This will be the review of a very specific Pam 339, I got this one from Watcheden, I’m sure it’s also available from the other dealers but the one I’ve seen elsewhere were very different.

And that’s the problem with the reps of the 339: there’s no good one but many different!

So, why make a review of a bad rep?

Because: I like watches and particularly this one…

Why is that a bad rep?

Before I make any comment, pics will speak for themselves:

Gen:

Panerai-Pam339-Radiomir-Composite.jpg

Rep from other dealers (I voluntarily took a pic from a scam site neither to advantage or disadvantage our trusted dealer, so please mods or admin do not edit):

1410_G_1291419891437.jpg

My rep:

DSC04203.jpg

First problem, obvious on pic: the dial is wrong!!!

The rep from the other dealer has the correct dial (almost, let’s say!), but on mine the 9 is missing and the second hand dial is closer to the bezel…

In fact, the Gen is 47mm, so is the other rep while mine is only 45!

Second biggest problem in repping the 339 is the case material: it’s composite!

I don’t believe we’ll ever see a composite rep case one day …

Third big problem: The movement!

The gen has the 3 barrels 8 days power reseve p2002 and there’s no such movement in the rep industry so it’s fitted with a 6497.

And the fourth and last one: golden hands!!!WTF!!!

I guess they had an old stock to get rid of...

Very easy mod to do but WHY???

Pictures review:

From the 3 above pictures, we can see 3 different shades of case color, the composite brown of the gen, the black Pvd of the other rep and the brown Pvd of mine…

Nevertheless, when checking at other pic of the gen we can see that the brown of the composite isn’t very dark:

Panerai-PAM339-3.jpg

Panerai-PAM339-5.jpg

And when looking at mine in detail the color is closer than a black PVD for sure, even though it's a little too shiny:

DSC04208.jpg

DSC04209.jpg

DSC04211.jpg

DSC04210.jpg

A pic of the rep movement:

DSC04205.jpg

Not a very nice one, no panerai bridge, no swan neck, no dagger, but it really doesn’t matter as it will never look like the real thing anyway….

And a pic of the buckle:

DSC04206.jpg

A pic review wouldn’t be complete without a wristshot, here are 2:

DSC04214.jpg

DSC04213.jpg

So, why do I like this particular watch?

I’ve been lurking into Helenarou's brown Pvd case for a while.

And, come on: it’s no so often that you see brown watch, I’ve always been found of brown dial in Panerai as for the 036, or Egi, etc…

Plus the dial color on this particular watch matches perfectly with the case!!!

I could have purchased the Black Pvd version, which is closer dial wise to the gen, but I already have a black Pvd luminor, and the one I have has Avitt’s Dlc treatement and once you’ve got that you can’t go for lesser than that, so it had to be different…

I also like the size, 47mm is way to much for me as 45…..wristshots speaks for themselves.

Something else is great on this watch and I wasn’t expecting it: the strap!

It might be the first Pam for which I won’t swap the strap, the feel is great, the quality really nice, even though I expect it to be a bit fragile, time will be the best judge!

I wrote ‘I might’ because even if it’s really a nice strap I think this watch probably need something more rugged in the ‘loco horse’ style, but it will have to be a 26/22 strap because that buckle is unique…

What I would love to find is also a close caseback, but I’m sure you’d agree with me in saying: That’s not so important…

Conclusion:

Not a close rep BUT a nice watch!

Watcheden sells it for 138$ but with the coupon (20$ off), that’s only 118$ shipping included, it’s not a bargain but it’s been a while since I’ve taken such pleasure with a watch at that price.

I have to admit that when I made my order I wasn’t expecting much, but the watch I received is much better than the pic WE showed on their site!!! Thus, the pleasure… I guess!

Del

Great review :lol:. And, as you say, it's a nice watch ;).

gtwc

Ah ha!

I bought the Pam339 from Robert in Oct last year - certainly less than $140 and it comes with

black hands, a figure 9 and a decent sized cannon pinion.

Lume isn't worth shit though.

I'd give it a 9 out of 10.

spboudart
Ah ha!

I bought the Pam339 from Robert in Oct last year - certainly less than $140 and it comes with

black hands, a figure 9 and a decent sized cannon pinion.

Lume isn't worth shit though.

I'd give it a 9 out of 10.

Yes but 47mm and that's too much for me and it's black Pvd and I have no use for that in my collection as I wrote above.

Brown is beatiful, here are new pics:

DSC04235.jpg

DSC04240.jpg

gianton

Great review, thanks for sharing!

Pentax

Great Picts