Sign in to follow this  
LHOOQ

Datejust 16014 Franken: Lizard and Linen

LHOOQ

[Originally posted 13 July 2011 on RWG2]

Here's a dressier build than the last few.

i-8vCLR7f-X3.jpg

i-RbhsMqL-X3.jpgi-Q48h4mX-X3.jpg

i-5mFc4QH-X3.jpg

I'd been meaning to put together a Datejust for some time. I figured on finishing up the bigger projects first, and then, toward the end of the year, assembling something with a blue sunburst'n'sticks dial. (I really love those.) But circumstances moved this build forward by a couple of seasons.

During the course of my big V72 Daytona build, I hit on the idea of modding DW's dial to more closely resemble a gen. Specifically, I meant to take the coronet and metal hour markers from a Datejust dial, reshape the latter, and stick them onto the DW Daytona dial. I'd already bought a couple of ragged Beyeler dials for cheap before finding this one at a good price. It looked decent enough in the pictures, and all of its tall hour blocks were intact. I was ready to take it apart once I got it.

Thankfully, it passed through jmb's hands first, and he was horrified when I told him about my plan. I think there was a really good chance that Justin would rescue it from my pliers, and refuse to send it to me! I didn't take long to convince, and vowed to keep it intact and build a watch out of it. When the dial finally arrived, I quickly realized that it was never in any danger. It was a linen dial in almost-perfect condition other than a curious stain at 4 o'clock.

That was back in April, so I spent the next several months gathering the rest of the parts and waiting for packages to arrive.

Case

Genuine 16014 snagged for $66 from a Korean seller. There was a bit of rust around the rehaut and beneath the gasket, but nothing life-threatening. The genuine engine-turned bezel was bought separately.

i-k2W3gc6-X3.jpg

Movement

The Sea-Gull ST2130 (a 2824-2 by another name) was last seen in my Explorer Project 4 before it was replaced by a Rado 2472. The 16000 series Datejusts marked a shift from the aging 1570 of the 1600s to the 28,800BPH 3035. After so many projects with low-beat movements, it's remarkable how smooth 8bps looks. Now I want a Zenith El Primero! '69 with the gray/black/blue subdials, please.

i-BfJd5tS-X3.jpg

Strap

Lucky me, finding a Rolex Genuine Lizard for $37! (Notice how I only mention prices on the good deals.) And in perfect shape, too. That said, these old straps are a lot more plasticky and less comfortable than what we expect these days. But it's a gen, dammit! The buckle is a Yuki 16mm.

i-HSGgSLR-X3.jpg

i-QDTrPbs-X3.jpg

Crown, Crystal, Hands, Datewheel

Crown is a genuine 600. Cyclope 135 by Sternkreuz. Hands provided and lumed by ChiMan. Datewheel was a free gift from Josh, so long as I ordered a watch with it. And that's why I have a Panerai 026K.

i-vqQCzxs-X3.jpg

I can see why Justin builds so many of these. What a looker!

Thanks to J for making me see the light, alligoat for his invaluable help in gathering parts, and ChiMan for lending a hand (or three).

Some guys asked to see how it looked on metal, so here it is on my very cheap Jubilee (you do NOT want to see the clasp!)...

i-xvrxNqm-X3.jpg

...and on my rep 7836:

i-fh3chp8-X3.jpg

solkryssare

Awesome! Always love this one mate

Amit

That is absolutely gorgeous.

The lizard strap just sets it off perfectly.

And your pics are works of art.

Thanks

KeNnY

WOW :)

greg_r

Those linen dials are just gorgeous. Beautiful build!

Akira

I hate you

Sorry what I meant to say was

Motherfucker....

Mazz

I hate you

Sorry what I meant to say was

Motherfucker....

:rofl:

LHOOQ

Thanks, all! It's been a good year for me, franken-wise. :)

DeLaForce

I need skills like this. So nice!

powderfreak

OMG - I was thinking the Datejust is always ugly... :drool:

Member X

Dammit, I want one of these!

Amit

me tooooooooo

robznet

1st class - :drool:

ElvisFreak

All time most favourite watch: the simple yet classy Datejust.....

Edited by ElvisFreak

not_finbar

I love this.