Sign in to follow this  
spboudart

Full review of the Vacheron Constantin American 1921

spboudart

Throughout the full review, bear in mind that this watch is an 88$ watch!

I wished that I could have bought an upgraded model, but there is not on the market.

A couple of months ago, after reading in a watch magazine that Vacheron Constantin had decided to do a remake of one of his 'Historic' model, I opened a thread on RWI asking for dealers to press on factories to make a rep of the American 1921.

Anyway, I don't think my thread had any influence on what happened afterward, but early this month and still after my quest I found 4 models of the American 1921 on Watcheden's site.

Mailed them immediatly to know if a better model would be available (Rose gold case, manual-winding movement, saphir glass, etc...), but Sarah's response was quick and clear: only model available are the one on the web page. So I made my order.

AND:

DSC02876.jpg

The strap is only missing the bad smell because it has the color and feel... Anyway: basic rep strap which need urgent replacement.

DSC02877.jpg

DSC02878.jpg

DSC02881.jpg

A closed caseback to hide a quartz movement.

Now of few pics of the original:

82035-000R-9359.jpg

As you all can see, the real one has an open back letting show a nice manual-winding movement it's a Calibre 4400, 21 jewels with a frequency of 28,800 v.p.h. and a power reserve of 65 hours

vacheron-constantin-historiques-ame.jpg

vacheron_us.jpg

The watch is only available in Rose gold with a nice black croco strap.

Now a few comparative shots:

vc3.jpg

What we can immedialty observe is that the Swiss Made doesn't have the same front neither the same size. Looking closer the numerals are closer to the outer ring on the rep, and finally more closer 'Geneve' on the rep and 'Genève' on the genuine.

vc1.jpg

There you have to get a magnifying glass and you'll see that the 4 isn't the same at all, then you suddenly realise that most of the numerals are different from the gen. Looking back at the first comperative shot you'll see that the 9 on the rep is a turned around 6 as the 9 of the gen is really different from the 6 (its round part is more of an oval).

vc2.jpg

Those lugs are really different!

To finish: A wrist shot!

DSC02882.jpg

Wearing it is about the same feeling as wearing a Radiomir (a light one though!)

That's All Folks!

Ps: That was my 1st review!

trailboss99

Hey! well done for a first effort. Thanks for a look at a realy different piece. Glad you like it.

Col.

houndoggie

Cool, thanks!!!

I think this would make a great homage watch.

greg_r

Very pretty watch. :)

AllergyDoc

What an interesting watch. You can see the time w/o having to turn your wrist!

As you've pointed out, a lot of these inexpensive VC and Patek watches aren't very accurate copies. Good thing no one I hang around with would ever know the difference! :)

You did a nice job on your 1st review, especially the shots where you tried to duplicate the angles.

What's the size?

Member X

Nice review :)

It's good to see comparisons to the gen as sometimes senior members (on other boards ;)) assume that everyone knows the tells, whereas 99% don't!

It's a nice piece but the wonky dial is screwing with my mind LOL :rofl:

spboudart
What's the size?

40mmX40mm like the gen!

Careful Watcheden is also selling 46X46mm (unless it's a mistake on their side).

trailboss99

Robert will turn up any second and remind you it's actualy a 66 dollar watch over priced by WE!

Seriously, try either Rob or Mary for this 'un for less $.

Hell, see what Robert can do on a three buy if there's a heap of varients.

Col.

spboudart
Robert will turn up any second and remind you it's actualy a 66 dollar watch over priced by WE!

Col.

Don't forget that WE's prices include shipping, so if Robert ask 20 or less for shipping I'll take another one, I'd love to have the gold version!

Member X

I think robert is $10 Air, $25-30 EMS.

spboudart

I made a group buy with Watcheden, actually I bought from Rolex2u as they had the 'Buy 3 get 1 free' deal' going on.

So I bought 3 watches and decided to go for the VC Rose gold as a gift.

I thought that I woud swap the case and finally have the watch I wanted (for the exception of quartz).

The RG case is 40mm and all but the Quartz movement doesn't fit, and vice-versa.

Anyway trying to put them back together I screwed the quartz movement.

So now, I only have the 21j version, it's Rose gold but has the wrong dial with the second hand to close to the center and a nice 3 that should not be there.

It's still a really nice watch:

DSC03477.jpg

DSC03478.jpg

greg_r

Its a very elegant look. A little small for me or I'd be tempted...

spboudart

Aren and a member at RWI have asked me to post more pic of this watch so here they are:

DSC04120.jpg

DSC04121.jpg

DSC04124.jpg

See through case back with 21j:

DSC04122.jpg

Wrist-shots:

DSC04126.jpg

DSC04127.jpg

prestigewatchco

There is a hand wind version of this out

spboudart
There is a hand wind version of this out

:(

You know better than that!

prestigewatchco

What you think I take pictures of every watch I see? I have enough trouble taking pictures of watches I sell without taking pictures of ones I have no interest in

spboudart
What you think I take pictures of every watch I see? I have enough trouble taking pictures of watches I sell without taking pictures of ones I have no interest in

No pic means it doesn't exist?

I thought you had it and would sell it...

Member X

lol

Robert does not appear to be in the best of moods today :) :(

spboudart
lol

Robert does not appear to be in the best of moods today :) :(

Only has to do with me...

I have to admit that I try to annoy him as much as I can, and just love when he starts up stuff about french people....

Aren

Hi Spboudart,

Thank you so much for posting these. This is a very gorgeous and elegant watch. I really love the warm RG and the simplicity of this watch makes it very appealing to me. I hope that after the holidays I can order a VC. I have a similar one in mind. I like the large clean dial. Sometimes the complications on the watch faces make me think I might not be able to see the dial as easily. Although I admit, I am also attracted to the Zenith/PP fantasy watch :(

Manual wind appeals to me. I don't know very much about watch mechanisms so manual wind seems more durable to me. Perhaps it is an illusion.

I am not sure about how the watches will actually look when wearing them, so the photographs really help me. Many of the members here know exactly what most of these time pieces look like, but I don't. I think these posts help us newer people. I also like the Franck Muller. Your photographs are really nice and I can't believe this was your first review. :) I wish my photographs were better. I was just figuring out the old camera when I got the new one.

Thanks again for taking the time to re-post this and you even added more lovely pictures. I really enjoy looking, even if I can't buy another watch right now. The actual pictures the members take lend character to the watches which are not easily captured with stock photos in a white box.

All the Best

Arenaria

spboudart
Hi Spboudart,

Thank you so much for posting these...

It was a pleasure...

prestigewatchco

Col.

Too easy Col I would go so far as to say with all the discount vouchers and special 3 for 4 offers WE is more expensive than me like for like. Bearing in mind I can't compete with the tacky Chinese offerings he has I just don't have access to them thankfully! But forum grade watches he is more expensive than us with guaranteed

T786

So, excuse me, but I'm new to this forum, and have been interested in the VC American 1921. I see that now in 2012 there are multiple sites offering the replica. Any recommendations on the best (or at least the better) sources from which to order today? I see sites like etwaswatches.com, watches space.net, call watches.com and others. I'd love to order from a RWG recommended dealer but don't find the VC watch on any of these sites.

Any suggestions?

Member X

So, excuse me, but I'm new to this forum, and have been interested in the VC American 1921. I see that now in 2012 there are multiple sites offering the replica. Any recommendations on the best (or at least the better) sources from which to order today? I see sites like etwaswatches.com, watches space.net, call watches.com and others. I'd love to order from a RWG recommended dealer but don't find the VC watch on any of these sites.

Any suggestions?

Avoid all of the dealers you have listed, they are very likely to be scam sites and either overcharge you or just not send you a watch after taking your money.

You should email the Trusted Dealer of your choice with a picture of what you are looking for. They can then tell you if it is available. If they cannot get it, ask another Trusted Dealer, and so on.

If none of the Trusted Dealers can get it, it is very likely not available, and any other site that says they can get it are very probably lying and will steal your money.

If you've not read the New Members section yet, please do have a read of all the threads :)