Sign in to follow this  
edgematic

Audemars Piguet Diver V3 review with gen vs rep pics!

edgematic

banner.jpg

Since the diver came out I have been asking the dealers to rep it. A few months later news came that it was in the works. First we had the release of the Chanel factory, which I was not satisfied with. Then we had the supposedly 1:1 V2 diver from the Noob factory which I also was not satisfied with. Too many flaws while they could make some great other 1:1 watches with barely any flaws. I kept on asking and it finally came. Angus bought the gen piece for the Noob factory to get it repped and here we are!

On Tuesday I got the message that I could go pick up the AP Diver at the local post office. That was the first thing I did in the morning. After opening the package Angus sent me I was astonished. I have been collecting reps for 4 years now and by each release I am surprised by the level of accuracy that these reps have obtained. Being a fan of Audemars Piguet in general and the ROO line I have owned many of the models being released by the factories. They were all superb, no problems but this Diver goes a bridge further. The level of details is stunning.

As an AP horolofile I felt I needed to post another review. Since I the better camera is at home I have shot some pics with my iPhone. But keep an eye on this review as I will do a photoshoot, probably the upcoming weekend.

Let's go!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="

http://www.youtube.com/embed/QlluIP-4sL0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In 2010 Audemars Piguet has chosen to expand their Royal Oak Offshore line with the introduction of the new AP Diver. While other Royal Oak Offshore models were built to endure your sporty adventures, there hadn’t been one that could accompany you underneath the sea. With the Diver, AP’s remedies that situation.

18acd434.jpg

AP takes a cool, minimalist approach to its diver with just the essentials of time, date and a bezel to keep track of your dive time. They are quite capable of wowing us with complications but while you’re fish gazing and marveling at the wild plant forms swaying below, you don’t have a lot of need for those fancy extras. AP made the right choice in keeping this dive watch simple and functional.

DSC_0624.jpg

The baton hands are thick and prominent against the black “Méga Tapisserie” pattern that has become AP’s signature in the ROO collection. To ensure the visibility while diving the hands as well as the hour markers have lume applied on them. On the genuine item the hands are made out of white gold, what is worth mentioning.

DSC_0514.jpg

The majority of dive watches choose an outer unidirectional bezel to mark dive periods. AP went with an inner rotating bezel, which not only keeps the shapely octagonal case intact but also provides a more secure solution. You don’t want an accident or miscalculation when you’re a long way from a breath of fresh air. Unscrewing the crown at 10 o’clock operates the inner rotating dial ring which can be set on each minute.

Characteristic of the Offshore collection, metal - in this case, stainless steel - intermingles with rubber in the molded crowns and strap. The black and gray color combination also gives it a versatility that can wear from completely casual to looking right at home in a more serious setting.

DSC_0558.jpg

img2006p.jpg

picture from Patrickm500

In order to maintain water resistance, dive watches of necessity need a solid case back. On the genuine item Audemars has chosen for the 21,600 bph 3120 caliber with full gold rotor.

The Diver meets all the international requirements for diving with a depth rating to 300 meters. Most people wear a dive watch for the sporty looks and because they have an appreciation of the technical achievement. They don’t often plunge to the depths of the ocean to check out the accuracy of the specs. However, if you want to test the Diver’s mettle, AP invites you to do so. On their website they show a world map of urban diving spots, helping you to plan your next underwater excursion.

1. Case finish

Overall the case finish is superb, as with all the other ROO's available. The brushed and polished parts are excellent and well finished. As well as the bead blasted back of the mid-case (not the caseback). I can't really comment on any flaws at all concerning the case. The crown is made very well as well, not seeing any obvious flaws, size is correct, it feels solid and it has a rubber washer for waterproofness.

DSC_0520.jpg

DSC_0549.jpg

2. Caseback

Great as well, the inner circle with the bead blasting is very very close but imo just a tad away from the gen finishing. Which is ... NOT that much noticeable. Engraving of the caseback serials could have been done a bit deeper and the font of the N° could have been closer to the gen. Thickness is perfect and inside finishing is great as well with the swirl finishing and Audemars Piguet Swiss Made engraving.

DSC_0525.jpg

photo3.jpg

Gen on the right, rep on the left

AP-2012-04-20-01-14_enl.jpg

Inside swirl finish & engraving, pic by Angus/Puretime

3. Crystal

The gen AP Diver uses sapphire crystal with an AR-coating, after contacting AP I got to know that the gen had an AR coating on the inside only. Which is colourless. Angus passed this to the factory and tadaaa, here we have got ourselves a crystal 1:1 as per gen.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="

http://www.youtube.com/embed/MAXlH-7Roeo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DSC_0516.jpg

4. Dial & Inner rotating bezel

Dial appears to be 1:1 with the gen imo. Datewheel cut-out is fantastic as well as the batons applied. Lume is not that strong for this kind of super rep. It's good but not as strong as the gen. So for nitpickers I'd count in the cost of a relume job. Wonderful thing with the dial and the combo of the AR on the crystal is the look of the dial with direct sunlight, the mega-tappiserie dial really gets popped up. Also the markers give some reflection, which makes it a bit of a bling watch. :D Subtle but it's there!

The bezel is well made, the turning mechanism is copied from the gen and clicks in on every minute counter. It has the correct satin finish as per gen. One thing I should mention is the lume, imo the lume on the rep is somewhat thinner than on the gen, the gen appears to have slightly thicker applied numbers on the bezel. Which makes them look closer to eachother compared to the rep. As for the lume, same as with the dial, nitpickers, count in a relume job. IMO it's great out of the box, remember what we pay for this watch compared to the gen price... The bezel crown feels very well made and has got the rubber washers on the tube for waterproofness.

photo.jpg

Gen on the right, rep on the left.

DSC_0518.jpg

DSC_0562.jpg

DSC_0546.jpg

DSC_0585.jpg

5. Strap & buckle

I have never been a great fan of the V2 strap as it was wrong in every aspect. As well as the buckle. With the strap of the V3 they did a great job. There is a minimalistic difference as per gen (texture), the buckle shape and the buckle engraving are on par with the gen, but the gen is a bit more brushed. The gen strap is stiffer as with all the gen AP ROO straps. The strap wears very comfortable. I have a 7" wrist and it's not too big. However, if you have a 6,5" wrist I'd advice to get a short gen strap.

The endlinks are great as well and stick a tiny bit out above the case though I find that the gens stick out a tiny bit more.

There are no pics of a bracelet on the Diver, I have tried this but I could not manage to do it. Torobravo has posted some pics of the Diver with bracelet where he claims it fits. Let us know how, I'd love to have my bracelet fitted as well! :D.

photo4.jpg

DSC_0536.jpg

buckle shape as per gen

DSC_0545.jpg

buckle engraving as per gen, "acier inox" & stamping at the correct position

DSC_0532.jpg

AP-2012-04-20-01-19_enl.jpg

Correct engraving, pic by Angus/Puretime

AP-2012-04-20-01-20_enl.jpg

Correct stamp & position, pic by Angus/Puretime

7. Movement

The V3 is available with 2 types of movements, the Asian 2824 and the Swiss Sellita SW200. I have chosen the Asian 2824 as I won't be using the movement. I will swap mine with a genuine ETA2846 that has got 21,600 bph as per gen (yes I am an "AP" nitpicker) :P . The current datewheel is on par with the gen, differences are not noticeable with the naked eye.

As for the movements whether or not I would have changed it, I'd pick the Asian over the Swiss as I have owned bothe and I do not see anything why I should pay $90 extra. Both movements work fine. Save the $90 for an upgrade or your next rep!

AP-2012-04-20-01-09_enl.jpg

antimagnetic shield, picture by Angus/Puretime

AP-2012-04-20-01-11_enl.jpg

Asian ETA 2824, picture by Angus/Puretime

8. Cyclopse

Better than I've expected. It is AR'ed which is wonderful but imo it's a bit too blue. Does this bother me? No, not really or maybe it's better to say not yet... :D It's only visible at some angles but during the day being outside it's ok.

The gen HAS GOT blueish AR, but this only visible from certain angles. And honestly it looks more colourless than blueish. :)

AP-2012-04-20-01-03_enl.jpg

AR on the cyclopse, picture by Angus/Puretime

9. Hands

Hands are shaped as per gen. Gen hands are white gold as previously stated.

10. Bezel screws

Bezel screws are a tiny bit recessed, hard to see from the pics. On the gen these are white gold. Nitpickers, the screws are not uniformly recessed so you know what to do :);) .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall impression:

• Wonderful value for the money

• The best AP rep available

• Astonishing quality/finish compared to the genuine article

• Nitpickers, count in a relume and a re AR'ed cyclopse

• For me this is the nicest rep I have owned

FLAWS (guys, you should know that I am a real pain in the *ss nitpicker, most of these flaws can only be seen up close):

• Bezel numbers should be closer to each other, but this can be modded, it's due to the lume.

• Cyclopse is too blue.

• Caseback engraving should be deeper + font should be a tiny bit different.

• Bezel screws should be uniformly recessed.

• Strap texture is a tiny tiny tiny bit different from the gen

• Buckle is more brushed on the gen

• No superlume

GO ORDER IT!

Thanks for viewing my thread. Please feel free to post your AP Diver pics and impressions! Allthough pics do not do this watch any justice.

This watch was ordered via PureTime. A true asset to this community. It was a pleasure working with you Angus!

Links to the watch: http://puretime.co/product/royal-oak-offshore-diver-11-v3-noob-best-edition-on-rubber-strap/

Can also be ordere via ToroBravo, another trusted Dealer, and another true asset to this community!

I'd like to specially thank "repitup" as well for helping me with the comparison pics gen vs rep! Thanks T.!

Some VIDEOS:

th_DSC_0556.jpg

th_656cb831.jpg

th_0135daae.jpg

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/24743422?byline=0&color=ffffff" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Now, did I just had you all?! :D :P

a4238359.jpg

335e3b3c.jpg

* Book by Audemars Piguet for the 40th Anniversary of the Royal Oak. Can be had trough an AD.

jeffw69

That is awesome Edge. Thanks for doing this review. The AP diver is nice!!!

Del

A very impressive review edgematic - thanks for posting. :thumbsup2:

I will certainly bow to your in-depth knowledge on the Diver model but I do not see the need to upgrade my Uwe-modded v2. It is gen-like enough for me. ;)

(One point to note: Puretime is not a Trusted Dealer on RWG.)

bubbaa
A very impressive review edgematic - thanks for posting. :thumbsup2:

I will certainly bow to your in-depth knowledge on the Diver model but I do not see the need to upgrade my Uwe-modded v2. It is gen-like enough for me. ;)

(One point to note: Puretime is not a Trusted Dealer on RWG.)

+1 what Del said, I won't trade my Uwe modded V2 for the this, maybe a modded V3? But if you don't already have one or have a unmodded V2, there's no doubt this will be the nicest AP you can find!

seclark007

Well done, thank-you!

KeNnY

THANK YOU FOR THIS ! Now it made me want it even more !

Kaiser

Great review Edgematic, mine should be arriving any day now :)

Member X

Great review, thank you for taking the time :)

I'm not quite sure where the rest of the $19500 goes on the gen :lol: lol

All I know is that I want one quite badly... :facepalm:

grenz

This review has me very interested in this watch. Good Job

watchsuechtig

this watch is really a PAM Killer... the one and only :death:

thx for your very cool and nice pics and thx a lot for sharing

Edited by watchsuechtig

KeNnY

And I made it waterproof today ! :D Tested to 4 BARs, no problemo ! :D

johnnoblin

Have one on pre-order from Toro right now... waiting is killing me.

@Kenny: Anything special you had to do to waterproof it?

yentob

Have one on pre-order from Toro right now... waiting is killing me.

@Kenny: Anything special you had to do to waterproof it?

How long have you been quoted delivery time?

YoungGPS

Great review! Well done! Thanks for sharing! ^_^

GC

Sweet review edge... really sweet!

All i'm gonna say is i'm happy I waited. Mine is en route.

edgematic

this needs a bump for all the once on the fence!

12lurk

I have had mine for a week and it has even replaced my gen PAM 320.

Could you provide a link where one could buy a gen short strap?

Thanks

Edited by 12lurk

edgematic

Where are you located 12lurk? A gen strap can only be bought at an AD. Send me a PM.

zoiks

nice review edgematic, this made me decide to order my first rep, AP diver 3.5. thanks

zoiks

is the number outline in the bezel of gen noticeable? there is none on the rep.. check no. 20, 40 and 50

zoiks

is the number outline in the bezel of gen noticeable? there is none on the rep.. check no. 20, 40 and 50

Jasonbaylee

Thank you for the insightful review, edge!!!

marressey

Never been much of a fan of AP before. But this review, these pics made me reconsider. I'm ordering one in the near future.

Miracle

3.5 rep of the year

taukappaepsilon

This is a great review! Where did you get the gen from to be able to make this review? Do you also own the gen?