P4GTR

Review of Daytona Sec @ 9

P4GTR

I'm not a Rolex-phile, so my review will be subjectively based and offer general info on this particular model rather than an in depth comparison of rep VS gen.

The Rolex clan is very picky and I can only imagine that is the reason this watch isn't more popular. I've always liked the idea of a Daytona, but sec @ 6 problems and non functioning 21j chrono models kept me away.

IMG_1700.jpg

When I heard about the seconds at nine (spelled out this once to aid w/ board search function) I thought I would look more into it. There isn't much info, so hopefully I can help those who are thinking about taking the plunge.

Technically this would be a fantasy model. The 16520 El Primero powered Daytona that ran Sec @ 9 had numerous differences from this more current looking iteration. For example, the subdial spacing is much closer together and there was no Rolex engraving on the rehaut on the older models. Again, these are just two of the many, obvious differences if you were to hold the rep & gen side by side.

IMG_1691.jpg

If you can get past these things, you have yourself a very handsome watch, with excellent fit and finish and a reliable movement.

IMG_1714.jpg

The movement-

The movement is a decorated low-beat A7750. Note that when running the chrono, the center seconds hand does appear a little choppy due to its slim, long profile and the low beat movement.

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

Case-

I have some pics showing the case at different angles, but I'll keep quiet and let those more experienced than myself elaborate if they wish.

IMG_1688.jpg

IMG_1689.jpg

IMG_1690.jpg

IMG_1687.jpg

On the left hand side of the bezel, the numbers appear to be indented too far left.

IMG_1701.jpg

blank caseback

IMG_1684.jpg

The dial-

IMG_1704-1.jpg

The dial isn't the greatest. The letters appear bolder in some areas, the white of the dial isn't right. Between this, the incorrect marker size and totally off spaced subdials (hence improper marker size), we may have a deal breaker for many. While the dial could be better in many ways, macro pictures and dissection do the watch an injustice. This is a very nice, very satisfying watch.

At a bit more humane distance-

IMG_1704X.jpg

Rehaut is not aligned, however the font and etching is not too deep or invasive.

IMG_1710-1.jpg

Bracelet-

The watch comes on a new version solid mid link oyster bracelet. It is well made and the non-marked end links have an excellent fit between the lugs.

IMG_1685.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

IMG_1726.jpg

Overall-

Overall I am happy with the watch. For around $200 it's not overly expensive, should be as reliable as any other A7750, it's well made and very handsome. I don't expect hardcore Rolex enthusiasts to find this watch close enough to satisfy their wants in a rep. For those that just want a nice Daytona rep without the reliability issues commonly associated with sec @ 6 models, this is your watch... if you can live with it.

IMG_1708.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1723.jpg

That's all I've got. I'll leave you with a wrist shot, thanks for looking. :)

IMG_1730.jpg

Special thanks to Mary and Rochest of Watchinternational for delivering a great watch quickly and without any hassle.

DeLaForce

Good review mate, looks super!

jacabean

good looking watch

Luthier

Excellent review, many thanks!!!

Watch is just great, and who cares minor differences with a gen.

Leigh

Excellent review, many thanks!!!

Watch is just great, and who cares minor differences with a gen.

+1

great looking watch and only a few would ever know seconds should be at 6 anyway.

ks653

Nice watch... do you know the size? Is it 37mm or 40mm?

baxter

Nice watch whatever its shortcomings - thanks for the thorough review :)

conx

Great review. I have this model also and it is currently my most worn rep. While I agree it is not accurate and effectively a fantasy model, I don't give a monkeys, as it is agreat watch with excellent wrist presence.

The only problem Imhave found is that once it gets fullly wound after a few days of constant wearing it actually starts running a bit fast. After a bit of research it seems this is fairly common with these low beat a7750s. Again, not something that overly bothers me, the watch is simply too good to get bothered about minor details.

samurai dave

What a fantastic review, thank you for taking the time to give us a closer look at this nice looking daytona. Even with its inaccuracies it is a nice looking watch and i think would need a good and close off the wrist inspection to tell.

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Crusader

Very nice, I think people should be happy that they finally have reliable Daytona and not focus on the diffrences between rep and gen :)

J.Eric

Great review and good looking watch!

solkryssare

Very nice review. Thank you mate! :)

Amit

Great pics and review

F-350

nice watch and nice review - good job!

TxRub779

7f4d6478.jpg

e436a866.jpg

2836a4ec.jpg

009-2.jpg

More pic'age and update...mine is several months old now....stays on my winder a week at a time before its wrist day comes once a week and STILL stays wound and +/-9.....Have use the chrono regularly and it just ROCKS..100% ROCKS

conx

Yep, still loving mine as well.

d2.jpg

TxRub779

See we can be trend setters...I said it before, I'll say it again...this should be THE GO FOR Daytona...why its not I have NO idea.....a few minor "tells" (hate that fucking word) far out weighs the stuipd sec@6

bklynboy

Mine stays on the winder mostly as well, been very happy with the time keeping too

Daytona.jpg

P4GTR

Mine is probably the most accurate auto i've ever had. More than any of my gens, it's crazy!

The watch has seen a lot of wrist time since purchase & review. Great watch!

TxRub779

I know that IS crazy......i am blown away by this a7750...somebody got it right, big time right.

Teddyfigo

I have a Daytona pro hunter , with 21j movement , so I'm planning to fit it with this a7750 , it's my new project haha, it's challenging for a newbie like me, anyway great review there buddy

P4GTR

I have a Daytona pro hunter , with 21j movement , so I'm planning to fit it with this a7750 , it's my new project haha, it's challenging for a newbie like me, anyway great review there buddy

probably going to require new dial and hands you know.

Teddyfigo

Yeah I guess , any idea where can I get them ?

P4GTR

Yeah I guess , any idea where can I get them ?

Would be a nightmare going that route, I see you still need the movement, too. These reps are a steal for only $200 considering how much other 7750 based chronos can cost. Save yourself the headache and just buy the watch.

ics1821

Nice pictures,great review.