Sign in to follow this  
Mazz

Seiko Marinemaster SBDX001 (Another High End Seiko thread by Mazz}

Mazz

As some of you might remember a few months ago i took the step into high end Seiko's:

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...ko&fromsearch=1

Well this time I picked up a grail of mine the Marinemaster SBDX001. Now on to some interesting bits and some photos .

(allot of this article was chopped from others)

mm1.jpg

There’s more than one model of Seiko called ‘Marinemaster’, they are part of the ‘Prospex’ line of watches, Seiko’s upscale diver line that’s only sold and marketed in Japan.

The MM300 designed for saturation diving, up to 300 meters, and is equipped with a special L-shaped gasket and one-piece case to render it proof against helium gas. Unlike the Rolex Seadweller and Omega Seamaster, a helium escape valve is not needed due to the superior seal - a more elegant solution, in my opinion.

It’s a large, heavy watch - 14.6mm high by 44mm across, 209g on the included bracelet, 136g on the rubber strap.

The watch comes with a rubber strap as well.

Movement

8l35-2.jpg8l35a-1.jpg

The movement is an 8L35, an undecorated and unadjusted version of the high-end Grand Seiko 9S55. Rhodium-plated, 26 jewels, automatic, 28800vph (4Hz), handwind and hacking, 50 hour power reserve. The size of the balance wheel was increased to provide the torque required, as the hands are heavier than a dress watch. The 8L35 is also used in the Landmaster, which has the same hands.The movement by all accounts keeps excellent time, and in 9S55 trim is capable of exceeding COSC specs. Anecdotal reports on various fora indicate less than five seconds’ daily error is typical. The spec is -10 to +15 seconds per day.The 8L35 is completely in-house Seiko, and is descended from the 6159 300m diver, circa 1969. Everything from oil on up, including mainspring, is Seiko. Kinda cool. What they call a ‘manufacture’.

Some peoples understanding is that the Seiko 8L35 is pretty much the same movement as the 9S55, but perhaps missing a few refinements and not as thoroughly adjusted. As such, it is one of the finest automatic movements Seiko makes. The machining is of the highest quality and the design and construction is informed by Seiko’s many years of experience. I believe the 8L35 even has a Lossier inner coil on the hairspring. A very nice touch you will not find in any modern Swiss watches to my knowledge. As far as the movement is concerned, it is a wonderful piece of work that is exactly what it claims to be: a grand Seiko movement. The finishing is almost entirely machined, but machining of exquisite quality overall. The edges are generally not chamferred (angled), but are incredibly crisp and the sides are cut to a near mirror polish.

Seiko has a workshop Morioka, Iwate prefecture in northern Japan. This is where they assemble a lot of the high-end Seiko movements. Twenty watchmakers are employed at the Shizukuishi Watch Studio, assembling 21 types of mechanical movement in five series as follows:

1) 68 series (very thin manual-winding movement) Cal.6870 Cal.6898 Cal.6899 2) 9S series (manual-winding and automatic movement) Cal. 9S67 Cal.9S55 Cal.9S54 Cal.9S56 Cal.9S51 Cal.9S54 is manual-winding, the others are automatic. 3) 6S series(manual-winding and automatic chronograph movement) Cal.6S74 Cal.6S77 Cal.6S99 Cal.6S37 Cal.6S28 Cal.6S99 is manual-winding, the others are automatic. 4) 8L series(50-hour power reserve automatic movement) Cal.8L75 Cal.8L38 Cal.8L35 Cal.8L21 5) 4S series (day-date, 24-hour indicator, dual time, automatic movement) Cal.4S76 Cal.4S77 Cal.4S36 Cal.4S27

Seiko warrants the title Manufacture as every part of the movement including the balance spring can be made within the company. Around 15,000 mechanical watches are assembled at the Shizukuishi Watch Studio per year.

See that? 8L35! I find it tremendously cool that this movement is hand assembled try to find that in a comparably priced European watch.

Case

mm-back1.jpgmm-case-lugs.jpg

The case is made of stainless steel, I assume type 316L but I’m not sure. It’s monocoque, meaning that the back does not come off and the movement is accessed after removing the bezel and crystal. Seiya claims it’s antimagnetic as well; I’ve not seen anyone else mention this. Drilled lugs, unsigned screw-down crown.

Strap and bracelet

mm-strap1.jpg

The included bracelet is 20mm, tapering to about 18mm at the clasp. Solid links, flat Oyster-style with slightly raised center link. Center links are partially polished. It’s held together with the Seiko pin-and-collar system. Solid end links, fliplock with push release and ratcheting wetsuit extension. Each link is actually five discrete pieces. As noted above, the lugs are drilled which makes changes easier.

mm-strap3.jpg

Here you can see the wetsuit extension in use.

mm-strap2.jpg

The included rubber strap is a variation on the Z22 that Seiko uses on its SKX-series divers. (Note that its 20mm, not 22, so it’s really a variation of the less-common Z20.)

Crystal, bezel and face

mm-hands.jpg

Very legible I’ve noticed that Seiko and Citizen seem to use shorter hands than European brands. Aesthetics, I assume.Unlike the SD600, the crystal is domed Hardlex, with an exterior anti-reflective coating. It sits just below the sloped bezel, and is therefore less likely to be damaged. According to Ikuo Tokunaga it’s mainly a question of economics and resistance to impact. Bezel is 120-click and sloped. An interesting tidbit about it’s construction:

The MM text is printed directly onto the bezel in a multi step process. The metal bezel’s top surface is blackened and then the printing lasered onto the black “paint”. So in other words, the bezel is a one piece assembly.

Seiko is well-known for excellent luminosity, and the MM300 is no exception. Lumibrite, their version of Super Luminova, is applied liberally to hands, indices and timing dot: I belive that i read some where that the lume is applied by hand.

Here are some pics of my own

AFA84EE7-DE6F-48C3-9B76-DEB75141599F-2173-000005773E4EF67E.jpg

3AA27900-0540-4F9F-9579-DC35CC1BA2F3-2132-0000056108E96F85.jpg

E8C56ACC-65B2-4A7C-9A71-0A0F1EE5AFD2-2132-00000561024548E0.jpg

B3FA3A14-8EE8-44CA-BD0C-D3EFB938089B-2132-00000560F0CE6FD3.jpg

Anyway I hope you enjoyed this post

Nisv

Looking good :thumbsup2:

Crusader

Very nice, I just got into Seikos myself lately and I'm really liking the snzf17, but this one is also on the list, although at DSSD size, it might be a bit too big :lol:

Great pics, lume is amazing.

KinCaidk

Congrats on the new watch, mate. Looking good!

Mazz

Very nice, I just got into Seikos myself lately and I'm really liking the snzf17, but this one is also on the list, although at DSSD size, it might be a bit too big :lol:

Great pics, lume is amazing.

its not really that big

James.

not bad, not bad at all

schmooze

NICE!!!

ath

Nice review mazz, thnx for posting

Member X

Looks good!

Bet that wasn't cheap :lol: but undoubtedly better value for money (and better made) than a lot of similarly priced swiss 'label' brands, I am sure...

watchupdoc

I love this Seiko. If had to choose between a Rolex and the Marine Master, I would choose the Seiko every time! Rolexes are so common nowadays and you are unlikely to see anyone else with the MM. I have always rated Seiko watches, even though the brand snobs look down on them.

I almost bought the Marine Master from Higuchi 5 years ago. Price from him then was around £850. Now it's about double that, so out of the question for me.

Enjoy wearing your Seiko.

Thanks for the post.

greg_r

Nice pickup, mazz :)

watchupdoc

My Seiko Prospex Flight Master says hello.

DSCF3262.jpg

Mazz

Very nice

kolchak

awesome - def my favorite Seiko!

jeffw69

Nice Mike, thanks.

Probably the only Seiko I would wear.

guami007

These watches are plain awesome. Seiko makes some outstanding watches.

Congrats Mazz.

Mazz

Thanks guys

gtwc

Great review & pics Mazz, thanks for sharing.

I'm a big fan of Seikos' myself - and this would be a great addition to any collection.

:drool:

gB.

Very nice pickup Mike! You got it bad for the Seiko... :lol:

I have to concur that the MM glide clasp is genius and adjusts perfectly for superior fit. I spent the dough just for the MM clasp to swap out on my Seiko 5 40th Anniversary LE model and it made a world of difference in comfort.

0a14f487.jpg

:)

Mazz

Yeah it's very nice especially in the warm weather

Nisv

And when it's cold weather?

Mazz

Cold weather? Que?

Nisv
:D

thunder92

pretty. Nice pick up.