gioarmani

Gen & rep comparison of the Rolex Daytona 116520

gioarmani

For what it's worth, this piece was purchased form Josh about two years ago, and after my initial regulation, still keeps to within + 2 or 3 seconds per day. After sealing the case, pusher & tube rings with silicon grease, this piece tested to 3 ATMs, not 6, as I would have hoped (similar to my SMP chrono and other Rolex sports models), but still sufficient for shallow-water swimming.

We all know the story of this model's modified A7750's reliability factor, and I had been already been burned by one crapping out, so chalk it up to a learning experience. Is this movement more prone to malfunction than certain others, based on it's extra bridge & added gears? Of course--so lesson learned is to simply be more careful with it. Don't use it as a daily beater, and don't keep it running on a watch winder 24/7. I keep mine in the watchbox's drawer, and only pull it out when I want to wear it.

Other than the rehaut & case being a millimeter or so too thick, they're damn near spot-on (Spotable as a fake to the experts? Easier off the wrist that on. :) But then again, even the most expensive & professionally modded reps are, to a well trained eye...). Here's mine, from it's original shoot here, straight from the box:

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

Notice how the newer rep's rotor makes the A7750 look a lot closer to the gen's 4130?

New rep rotor & movement:

IMG_0027.jpg

Gen rotor & movement:

daytonamovement.jpg

Old rep rotor & movement (still pictured on most dealers sites, sadly--even though the old one's not the one currently used in the watch):

asian.jpg

And now for the gen to rep comparison. The only mod done to my watch was a slight trimming of the CGs. There will be some slight color variations on the steel & on the dial due to differences in lighting, but side by side the quality is exact in crispness & color. (gen pic on top of the pairings, rep on the bottom):

a-2.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

y988472_26193.jpg

IMG_0019AA.jpg

y988472_14466.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

b-1.jpg

IMG_0013-2.jpg

1-6.jpg

IMG_0011-3.jpg

daytonamovement.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

1192224152924_allinone2.jpg

IMG_0016-2.jpg

11.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

is-1.jpg

IMG_0026aa.jpg

dobo101

have you had any problems so far?

D_Chico

Very cool! Nice pics btw! Thanks for sharing this with us :)

Daywatch

Always love these compares. Thanks for putting this up and sharing. They are closer than thought and this is my favourite colour combination on it. Beautiful watches.

StormyNight

Nice set of photos! I've got the exact same (rep) Daytona and it runs faultlessly. Love it!

lukeas123456

Where did you pick this one up from and who makes it?

josmcg

I’ve been wearing my ARF Daytona (exact same as the pic) 116520 for 6 months as my daily beater, no problems. The power reserve sucks, and if not manually wound daily, the timekeeping sucks too, but looks great and still runs perfectly (other than the minor stated issues). Would highly recommend. 

BadApple

..........no problems. The power reserve sucks, and if not manually wound daily, the timekeeping sucks..........

deju
15 minutes ago, josmcg said:

I’ve been wearing my ARF Daytona (exact same as the pic) 116520 for 6 months as my daily beater, no problems. The power reserve sucks, and if not manually wound daily, the timekeeping sucks too, but looks great and still runs perfectly (other than the minor stated issues). Would highly recommend. 

This wasn’t an ARF, original post is like 8 years old :)