Sign in to follow this  
gB.

Rolex in Argo Movie

gB.

Saw Argo last night and it was a pretty good movie I must say. I'm not a fan of Ben Affleck's acting ability (or lack thereof), but the movie overall was top notch and an interesting story based on actual declassified info. It's being touted as Oscar worthy.

Absolution for Ben Affleck: new film Argo is an Oscar contender

The one very noticeable prop in he movie for any watch aficionado was a Rolex worn by Affleck throughout the movie. When I first saw it, it looked like a maxi case style model, and seemed too large for a 70's vintage Rolex model (movie is set in '79-'80). Then they show a closeup in one scene of the back of his wrist and it is clearly the new style glide lock clasp, brushed finish, so it is either the newer ceramic sub or DSSD. Never get a close of of the front and dial, but the size is very big and could be the DSSD. Regardless, it is definitely not a vintage Rolex model associated with the time period of the movie, and very much noticeable in your face throughout the movie, not just for us WIS. No continuity oscar for them methinks. ;)

Can't hotlink or copy photos from the movie site, so take a look here and see for yourself.

http://www.imdb.com/...efine=nm0000255

:lol:

DeLaForce

Oow might catch this tonight :)

LightGeek

It looks so out of place...

Luthier

Or Luthmariner or DSSD, look on pic. 55. Very thick watch.

NFleischer

Wow- that's a big screw up- looks like a DSSD

Balad1

Ops, not going to see that movie now.

HeavyKrush

Think they call that an "Easter Egg". My wife thinks you guys are nerds.

Balad1

You're one of us, sooo....

gB.

On second thought, it makes a lot of sense now. Seen several threads elsewhere on other forums over the past year from members that collect and build vintage Rolex models that Rolex has taken a hardline stance in regards to servicing and providing NOS parts for Rolex vintage models, and even instructing ADs/RSCs not to provide verification services for vintage models. I get it that Rolex is in the business of selling new production models and not supporting older out of production models, which is why they would take such a stance.

But I would bet money that Rolex paid product placement fees to have this DSSD worn in this vintage set movie as a branding initiative. To place a modern, larger sized model in a vintage setting and appeal to that side of the market with a current model. Not saying it is a wise move or will work, but it makes sense from a business perspective what was done and that this is not some oversight by the continuity production staff of the movie. Hey, money talks in Hollywood, and modern DSSD is apparently viewed as the new vintage. Or at least that is what the money is trying to tell us... :facepalm:

Balad1

+1

B5GLX

To add to that, I'm sure the scenario that Rolex is hoping for is that someone sees that watch in the movie and thinks to themselves, Hey, that's a really nice vintage watch that Affleck is wearing, I wonder if I can get one? Instead of trying to hunt for a vintage watch on ebay, they walk into a Rolex store and low and behold, there it is! And Rolex didn't even have to reissue or create some commemorative, limited edition piece for this movie, like another watchmaker *cough*omega*ahem*

YoungGPS

Yup, all about the sale.

HeavyKrush

You're one of us, sooo....

It was my wife's quote Ted, and you have me there for sure.

fatarms
The pics are huge and great detail.

http://ia.media-imdb...Q1OA@@._V1_.jpg

These pics full size seem to look like a DSSD.

http://ia.media-imdb...Q1OA@@._V1_.jpg

http://ia.media-imdb...AyNw@@._V1_.jpg

Linky no worky...

:lol:

Really? Weird.

2j5gevk.jpg

21m7ok5.jpg

be7d5t.jpg

Luthier

Too big for his tiny wrist.

Balad1

+1

Bash64

Too big for his tiny wrist.

+1

He'll need Sly sized wrists to do for DSSD what Stalone did for Panerai.

tesmith2112

I watched ARGO yesterday, very good movie! I recommended it. It was clear to me that it was a DSSD, way too thick to be a Sub.

DeLaForce
I watched ARGO yesterday, very good movie! I recommended it. It was clear to me that it was a DSSD, way too thick to be a Sub.

+1

Abagnale

indeed, a very recommendable movie. regarding the dssd, which is awkward in this movie, afaik rolex doesn't do product placement at all. that's why james bond wears an omega...

cheers

greg_r

On second thought, it makes a lot of sense now. Seen several threads elsewhere on other forums over the past year from members that collect and build vintage Rolex models that Rolex has taken a hardline stance in regards to servicing and providing NOS parts for Rolex vintage models, and even instructing ADs/RSCs not to provide verification services for vintage models. I get it that Rolex is in the business of selling new production models and not supporting older out of production models, which is why they would take such a stance.

But I would bet money that Rolex paid product placement fees to have this DSSD worn in this vintage set movie as a branding initiative. To place a modern, larger sized model in a vintage setting and appeal to that side of the market with a current model. Not saying it is a wise move or will work, but it makes sense from a business perspective what was done and that this is not some oversight by the continuity production staff of the movie. Hey, money talks in Hollywood, and modern DSSD is apparently viewed as the new vintage. Or at least that is what the money is trying to tell us... :facepalm:

Nah, it's probably a rep :lol: