Sign in to follow this  
GC

Rolex Blue Sub Review

GC

I ordered this beauty from Robert/T4D/PWC after reading Spirit's & Gio's phenominal reviews. I have to agree with both of them, the Robin's Egg Blue color must be seen to be appreciated. It's really difficult to capture the ever changing hues that this blue produces, I did my best to capture it just as it appears in real life up close and personal.

You will notice in the following shoots that depending on the shot and lighting condition the blue goes from a light pale azzurro to an intense darker azzurro. And more importantly for thoses that are under the impression that this blue is some shade of pastel... well it's not. All I can recommend is try it out and be the judge for yourself, you won't be dissapointed.

Befor I begin, please take into considerstion, being new to reps, all I have as a reference point is my DSSD, not years of buying numerous Subs from all the different factories that produce them.

According to Robert this particular Sub comes from the famed "Milgauss Factory", and I have to say it's nice. Nice in the fact that it plays the part well, on the wrist it looks and sweeps like the real deal (I opted for the asian/clone 2836). In regards to the movt', although everyone says the clone 2836 is just as good as the ETA 2836, and it might be in terms of sweep, accuracy and reliability, it in no way has the same feel as the ETA found in my DSSD. The winding smoothness, date change clicks and date centering in the window as well as the rotor noise are...well...not as good as the ETA.

IMG_2252.jpg

The dial and ceramic bezel are 100% perfectly matched in color, hue and saturation. I tried to capture this in the following two shots, not too sure if I nailed it or not, but trust me on the 100% match. I'm very very fond of the color and I think I know why, I'm biased because it's so very close to the Italian azzurro.

IMG_2305.jpg

IMG_2240.jpg

The combination of brushed and high polish areas make for an interesting effect and brake up the monotony of the typical all brushed steel oyster bracelet. Here you can see it up close, the brushing is nicely done and so is the high polish.

IMG_2318.jpg

The whole brushed/polished effect is done through out the bracelet, including the clasp and safety lock. The fit and finish as well as the overall feel are on a different level from that on the DSSD bracelet, much looser and less solid feeling.

IMG_2261.jpg

The inside of the clasp has the typical engravings as we have come to expect on the newer clasps. Im not sure if the numbers are correct or model specific for white gold but in truth I don't really care. What is to note is the clasp is not fitted with a glide lock system as per gen. Instead of the glide lock system, i.e. glide lock with out extra diver's extention which is only found on the DSSD, it is just fitted with a single fold divers extention.

IMG_2276.jpg

IMG_2279.jpg

Nicely done are the rehaut allignment and engraving, as you can see it is only an 1/8 of a degree off perfect center, basicly PHENOMINAL!!!

IMG_2243.jpg

Also well done is the laser etched crown, and it sits almost directly above the 6 o'clock position, just slightly to the right. Now I do have to mention it is much bigger and solid lined as opposed to dotted, which makes it total different than the one on my DSSD. The LEC on the DSSD is PHENOMINAL, this one is good and I'm guessing what most of you Sub fans are used to.

IMG_2245.jpg

The bezel (not the bezel insert because that is well done) and lume pearl are probably the weakest points on this watch. The bezel is much too easily rotated and does so with a very weak click. The pearl is... well... no wear near gen, not even close. But on a possitive note, the bezel lines up at 12 and the pearl is fairly well centered.

IMG_2238.jpg

All in all, it's a nice rep. It plays the part, and does it fairly well. If you like Rolex, and the new 2008 super case with maxi markers and hands was well as the engraved rehaut this is a watch for you. Not to mention with the gen going for $20,000 +, your not going to see many out in the real world unlike the SS blk/blk which will eventualy be everywhere.

I hope this review doesn't come across as too harsh, again like I said I only have the DSSD to compare it to. What I can say is because I was spoiled by my DSSD which is a super rep, this one is imo a good rep.

Thanks for reading &

Thanks Robert for my World Cup Watch...FORZA ITALIA

GC

Silverspeed

Great review and ditto pics....

you're absolutely right this Sub is real nice in person

makes an excellent summer watch

will you be doing the bezel mod?

dingle

great watch and great pics GC. :P

Member X

Awesome pics and review, not sure I need to bother doing one when mine arrives from BK! lol

Got a lume and wristie shot? :)

GC
Great review and ditto pics....

you're absolutely right this Sub is real nice in person

makes an excellent summer watch

will you be doing the bezel mod?

SS, I totaly agree, a super summer watch... World Cup Summer Watch!!!

The bezel mod...nah... I'm an "out of the box" kinda guy.

great watch and great pics GC. :D

Thanks DB

Awesome pics and review, not sure I need to bother doing one when mine arrives from BK! lol

Got a lume and wristie shot? :)

Uhhhhhh...you better do a review seeing as yours is from a different dealer!

When you say BK do you mean Bangkok, Thailand/Robert or the guy who does the bkwm9 subs? If it is the bkwm9 fella than I would be very interested to read a review!

alistairw

I want one, it's just I won't be able to sneak it past the missus, especially being

such a stand out Blue, may have to keep it at the office!

Great review, magnificent watch enjoy it. :)

Member X

Buy the missus a really beautiful watch at the same time, then she can't moan :drool: lol

GC - fair point about the different dealer, will do one when it arrives! (Is the BK of BK/WM9 fame :wub:)

P_Diddy

what's happened with your one from BK what's the reason for long delay, was thinking about ordering one......

greg_r

Before ordering from BK you need to consult a doctor and find out if you're going to live that long... Great watches, but the lead time.... sheesh!

:popcorn:

dmisgod

nice watch but color does not suit my skin complexion :popcorn:

Member X
Before ordering from BK you need to consult a doctor and find out if you're going to live that long... Great watches, but the lead time.... sheesh!

:lol:

You joke, but BK posted in his LV or TT update thread that some poor guy has actually passed away! lol

The Blue sub is basically a noobmariner (I think?) bought straight from the factory, so there's no WM9-delay issues, just post delays and the fact he is busy doing other watches. He said that mine arrived with a cracked bezel so he's ordered a new one and will get it shipped when it's arrived and he's had the chance to swap it on and do the DW change :Jumpy:

It has been a while, I admit, and I did PM him after 2 months just to make sure, but he was away for two weeks and there was CNY in the way as well, so I understand these things take time.

I'm just eager to get it, I can't stand the wait!! lol :D

insipid
I want one, it's just I won't be able to sneak it past the missus, especially being

Great review, magnificent watch enjoy it. :wacko:

The wife just asked me for one of these today.... ah the luck some days :wacko:

alistairw

Great review, magnificent watch enjoy it. :gday_mate_haveabeer:

Ordered, confirmed and paid for!

Member X

Good good! :gday_mate_haveabeer:

k3rm87

Sexyyyyy watch