Sign in to follow this  
myaz

Review of the Patek Philippe 5101

myaz

I realize this is a forum about rep watches, so you may want to skip to section 2 as the first part of this review deals with the gen. If you enjoy reading about watches then the info in the 1st section will help you appreciate a truly remarkable timepiece. This is the watch Bruce Wayne sports in the movie “Batman Returns” and a seller on eBay has boldly asked the equivalent of the price of a cheap rep for the leaflet alone.

PATEK01_zps72b1d3af.jpg

Note for photo credits: I have borrowed some pics from the net, including from people.timezone (dot com), thepurists (dot com) and wherever else I could scrounge one.

1) ABOUT THE GEN:

There are several versions that were introduced at various BaselWorld fairs.

Year: 2002 2009 2011 2012

Model: 5101P 5101R 5101G 5101J

Material: (Platinum) (Rose Gold) (White Gold) (Yellow Gold)

PATEK02_zps19224c72.jpg

About 30 have been produced every year (note: I couldn’t verify this independently). It has blackened gold feuille style hands (the cachet of french exclusivity for “leaf”) and Breguet style numerals. The case is in Art déco style and it has the Patek signature Top Wesselton diamond set in the case between the lugs @6.

PATEK03_zps1d492f0a.jpg

The movement is a manual winding COSC (100 revolutions of the crown to fully wind!) with a 10 day reserve. It’s the 1st to have twin main spring barrels and a tourbillon in a small square case. It uses a caliber 28-20/222 movement with 231 parts, 29 jewels, 6 of which have gold chatons visible through the case back and 11 bridges.

PATEK04_zps9edc5566.jpgPATEK05_zps9b9d6c4f.jpg

PATEK06_zpsf505f98d.jpg

The 5200 Gondolo developed 10 years later uses the same twin barrel but only goes 8 days due to the extra power needed to drive the day and date functions. It has a 2 step case side as opposed to the 3 steps in the 5101. Shown below is an earlier Ref 5124 on L with 1 step, and the 5200 on R with 2 steps.

PATEK07_zpsa8cfe0ba.jpgPATEK08_zps76854663.jpg

Patek started with an existing 28-20/220 movement and needed 3 years to create the new one, most of the time being spent on the tourbillon: 72 parts, .3 gms and requiring 1 week for a watchsmith to assemble. Note that the watch is understated, with the tourbillon mounted on the bottom, visible only through the case back, Patek stating that it protects the lubricants from degradation by UV light.

PATEK09_zps6c652220.jpgPATEK10_zps6e4829d4.jpg

The watch is water resistant to 25-30 meters, though several sites caution you. For instance, Gemnation says “unsuitable for any contact with water whatsoever”….wonder how many owners would take a $400,000 watch to a pool or shower. FWIW, the yellow gold 5101J is the economy model and goes for a little less. Note the Geneva seal and slot in the strap to help avoid scratching the case when changing straps.PATEK11_zps6c919b76.jpg

2) ABOUT THE REP:

I got interested in this one after seeing Luthier’s 5101J and Watchinternational got me the 5101 R. It’s priced in the mid 100’s, has mineral glass and comes with functional Power reserve and subsidiary seconds dials. Mary said it’s a hand wind but surprise, it’s actually automatic. The gen is 51.7 X 29.6 X 12.2mm and the rep is 38 (53 including lugs) X 33 X 13.7mm. Basically, the rep is a little wider.

The power reserve dial only goes up to indicate about 3.8 days on the dial but actually lasts 48-50 hours. Not bad for a little over $100, considering that the gen will cost you just a little bit more to run for those extra 8 days.

3) ABOUT THE COMPARISON:

This watch looks like the gen at a very very quick and casual glance but is not well repped. It will not fool anyone in the know. The most obvious tell is that the rep misses the “12” marker. No big worries though, unless you are Lord Flasheart who probably owns several of the iterations, if you belong to this forum….you don’t own the gen. Sorry, but I wasn’t able to borrow any of his gens for actual pics........Felicia mumbling something about Flasheart needing them for some social engagements.

I WILL TRY TO POST LANDSCAPE PICS OF GENS AND REPS SIDE BY SIDE, AND GENS WILL BE SHOWN ON LEFT. IF THEY COME OUT PORTRAIT, GENS WILL BE ON TOP

PATEK12_zps4f510862.jpgPATEK13a_zpsec7ba293.jpg

Next, it has no Wesselton diamond @ 6, not even a lousy Swarovski. A trained eye will also be able to tell the dial is not rhodium, sandblasted gold or white enamel as in the 5101J and the hands are not blackened gold.

The serial number is on the reps on the bottom of the seconds subdial just like it appears on some, but not most gens. Seems like it’s on a lot of the early models and has been omitted in later years but I’m not sure.

PATEK14_zps4dfe443f.jpgPATEK15_zpsef959f60.jpg

Profile view. Note how the case back protrudes on the bottom and is visible on the rep.

PATEK15a_zpse1b17d34.jpgPATEK16_zps1d12f290.jpg

Any vestige of pretense stops with a view of the case back: no tourbillon.

MLTIMG001_zpsd86a62aa.jpg

Notice spelling mistakes, random plate markings, though 3 big and 2 small jewels are in approximately the same position as in the gen, also notice wrong direction in the Côtes de Genève pattern

PATEK21_zpsaa9ce2f2.jpg

Removing the case back exposes a faux plate that serves no purpose beyond decoration. The “jewels” are held in place by tape. The rep factory will probably say that it shades the non-existent lubrication from exposure to UV light just like the gen :giggle: . Cut off screw heads are glued on the plate.

MLTIMG002_zps12ef088d.jpg

The movement can be seen below the faux plate. Notice the UN rotor in one watch and the generic rotor from another 5101 rep I got as a present for one of my brothers. Doesn’t really matter because the rotor is not visible, but it reflects on the manufacturing process.

PATEK26_zps342a93fd.jpgPATEK27_zpsb391d573.jpg

The watch came with an extra (?) loose screw that didn’t look like it belonged anywhere and had another loose screw on the movement that had to be tightened.

“extra” screw found stuck inside the case pictured next to a bigger case back retaining screw.

PATEK28_zpscdc9e814.jpg

Loose movement screw before and after tightening.

PATEK29_zps67a7347c.jpgPATEK30_zps38f5feb5.jpg

Notice poor anglage technique :B): on the metal parts.PATEK31_zps842f23e3.jpg

Mismatch of screws used to retain case backPATEK32_zps451dab1c.jpg

And tarnish on the bezel. Note that the other rep had no tarnish.

PATEK33_zpsea3d5973.jpg

Views of the case and after putting it back together.

PATEK35_zps51591cf1.jpgPATEK34_zps12dcf5b9.jpgPATEK36_zps3419374a.jpg

The wristie: a tribute to Luthier, photo credit: Luthier.PATEK37_zps34696d7d.jpg

4) CONCLUSION:

I would have paid more for a better finish, better materials and a closer version but it’s likely not possible using available movements as it’s just too much to ask for the money paid.

However, I like it and will be sad when its crappy movement dies. It’s a fun, classy and distinctive dress watch with unmistakable presence and stature (53mm long) for that special night out on the town wearing one of the most expensive production watches in the world WHILE ENJOYING the private feeling of it not being recognized by anyone. After all, very few of you knew how much this watch costs before reading the review, what about the rest of the world that’s never even heard of it, much less seen one, or the ones that think that a gold Rolex Presidential is the ultimate symbol to tell the world you have finally made it?

Thanks for reading.

James.

soooo..... It's a lovely gen, but the rep leaves a lot to be desired.

Love the superfluous diamond @ 6. If Hublot had done that there'd be a massive outcry at the over extravagance, PP seem to somehow be able to get away with it, though :lol: Then again, HB would have put the diamond on the fkin dial or bezel...

Zachthebaker
soooo..... It's a lovely gen, but the rep leaves a lot to be desired. Love the superfluous diamond @ 6. If Hublot had done that there'd be a massive outcry at the over extravagance, PP seem to somehow be able to get away with it, though :lol: Then again, HB would have put the diamond on the fkin dial or bezel...

hey man.. the pope wears Patek

yawn

Such a nice review:)

HarleyMo

Ive been thinking of getting one. The price is definitely right and my daughter says I need at least one non round watch.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

RussP

Great review/advice on the 5101.

I have a rep Gondolo that looks similar............dunno if it is 'good' or merely 'acceptable'

Any comments are welcome.....8662840182_83531657b6.jpg

myaz

Very classy as well, looks nice, hadn't seen this one before, bet it's a bit smaller than the 5101. The gen is a tad more rectangular, the seconds subdial cuts across the "6" about 1mm higher and I see you have the same affliction with the tarnish at the edges on the bezel just below the crystal. I wish there was a way to prevent or fix that. Enjoy it.

darkdashing

I love the review. However, I would feel like a implausible fool wearing such an expensive rep...there seems to be something odd about wearing watches over 10k because people will obviously stop and ask about them. I'm new to this rep thing so maybe it will fade with time lol.

johnnyjazz

£400,000 watch and Patek fix the back case with dome headed screws wtf.

TheInthusiest

Beautiful job and beautiful pieces!