56 replies to this topic

#1 JohnG

Old timer

• VIP/Supporter/RWG Trusted Dealer
  • 16,425 posts
  • Member ID: 4

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:55 AM

Okay, so here we go...

It is a lie that you cannot take reps into the water. But as with everything, one must exercise common sense. Replicas are not manufactured to the same standards as genuine watches.

If you wish to shower, swim, snorkel, or dive with your replicas, you should ALWAYS have your rep tested in a pressure chamber for water resistance. That is, if you care about the watch. Many people take reps into the water without realizing any tests whatsoever. They assume the risk that the watch will leak and be damaged. But if you are reading this because your question is, "can I take my rep into the water safely?" the ONLY way to answer that question is to have it tested.

Generally speaking watches with chrono-function should not be placed in water. The pushers cannot be sealed as effectively as a screw-down crown with o-ring. However, some pushers were designed to be water resistant (for example on the Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph) and their repped counterparts share their water-resistant design characteristics. But again, the only way to know for sure if the watch will be resistant is to have it tested. And all watches, especially those with chrono pushers, should be tested each year. O-rings, seals, and gaskets can deteriorate over time.

Below appears a chart that serves as a guide to what resistance ratings correspond to what types of activities. As you will note, a rating of 50 meters does not mean that a watch is appropriate for diving to depths of 50 meters. This is because the ratings guides recognize that the conditions watches are subject to at 50 meters on the wrist of a diver are quite different than the STATIC pressure the watch is exposed to in a testing chamber. One can generate equivalent pressures on a watch, AT THE SURFACE OF A POOL. Slapping one's arms agressively against the surface of the water, for example, can generate extreme pressures at critical points of the watch. Similarly, movement of one's wrist while swiming at a depth of 10 meters can alter the local pressure considerably - either increasing or decreasing the pressure experienced by the watch, according to the type and force of the movement.

So, if you value your watch but would like to take it into the water, have it tested by your watchmaker. A test can frequently be performed for less than thirty or even twenty dollars and could well be worth the peace of mind it will buy you.

Posted Image

#2 greg_r

Chief Hamster Wrangler

• Admin
  • 55,163 posts
  • Member ID: 2

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:07 PM

And a sticky you shall have. Don't eat it all at once....

Posted Image

#3 JohnG

Old timer

• 16,425 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:15 PM

Posted Image

#4 JohnG

Old timer

• 16,425 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

This is actually a nice little guide I did.

:D

#5 onzenuub

Outstanding Member Award!!!

• VIP/Supporter!
  • 40,994 posts
  • Member ID: 7

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:40 PM

Usage Recommendations
The following usage recommendations are suggested by the Seiko Corporation of America:

• Water-resistant to 30 meters (100 feet). Will withstand splashes of water or rain but should not be worn while swimming or diving.

• Water-tested to 50 meters (165 feet). Suitable for showering or swimming in shallow water.

• Water-tested to 100 meters (330 feet). Suitable for swimming and snorkeling.

• Water-tested to 150 meters (500 feet). Suitable for snorkeling.

• Water-tested to 200 meters (660 feet). Suitable for skin diving.

• Diver's 150 meters (500 feet). Meets ISO standards and is suitable for scuba diving.

• Diver's 200 meters (660 feet). Meets ISO standards and is suitable for scuba diving.

Please note that we do not recommend swimming or diving with your watch unless it has a screw-down crown (also known as 'screw-lock' or 'screw-in' crown) and is water-resistant to at least 100 meters.

Care for a Water Resistant Watch
It is not recommended to wear your water resistant watch in a hot shower, sauna or hot tub. The extreme heat causes the metal parts to expand at a different rate than the rubber gaskets. This creates small openings that can allow water droplets to penetrate the watch. Sudden temperature changes are especially harsh. Take care not to jump into a cold pool after wearing your watch in the hot tub.

After swimming or diving in salt water, immediately rinse the watch in a stream of fresh water. If your watch has a rotating bezel, turn the bezel several times while rinsing it. This will prevent salt buildup and corrosion of the bezel ring.

Leather straps can be made to be water resistant too. Generally however, leather straps are more easily damaged by frequent exposure to water. So if you are going to wear your watch while swimming -- think of buying one with a metal bracelet or a rubber or nylon diver strap.

NOW IT IS A USEFUL THREAD

#6 sconehead

Frog Fondler

• Mentor
  • 13,227 posts
  • Member ID: 131

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:55 PM

That 'powermax' thing has gone to your head Onze, poor John tried to make an informative thread and you poo-poo'd it :lol: ...it's true :gunbandana: ... first you and Greg steal our supporter status and now you are crushing your underlings under your 'buns of steel' :rolleyes: ...where will it end I ask? Peasants, it's time to revolt!!! :gunbandana: Although, admittedly, some of us are already revolting enough... :P

#7 onzenuub

• VIP/Supporter!
  • 40,994 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:56 PM

:P :lol:

#8 greg_r

Chief Hamster Wrangler

• Admin
  • 55,163 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:10 PM

:rolleyes: :gunbandana:

These board members are enough to drive one to drink....

:lol: :P

#9 JohnG

Old timer

• 16,425 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:35 PM

View Postonzenuub, on Jan 16 2009, 09:40 PM, said:

Leather straps can be made to be water resistant too. Generally however, leather straps are more easily damaged by frequent exposure to water. So if you are going to wear your watch while swimming -- think of buying one with a metal bracelet or a rubber or nylon diver strap.

One thing that CAN'T be made water resistant however are those stupid fucking dikes...

#10 onzenuub

• VIP/Supporter!
  • 40,994 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:42 PM

View PostJohnG, on Jan 17 2009, 03:35 PM, said:

View Postonzenuub, on Jan 16 2009, 09:40 PM, said:

One thing that CAN'T be made water resistant however are those stupid fucking dikes...

You don't know noooooothing about useful threads, that is up to POWERMAX to know. :lol:

#11 trailboss99

Night Watchman

• Admin
  • 25,750 posts
  • Member ID: 3

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:43 PM

You even crap your own sticky? Jeeeez.

:lol:

#12 RolexAddict

Advanced Poster

• RWG Trusted Dealer
  • 787 posts
  • Member ID: 76

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:29 AM

A little bit late contribution as I read this complete only today,

Below appears a chart that serves as a guide to what resistance ratings correspond to what types of activities. As you will note, a rating of 50 meters does not mean that a watch is appropriate for diving to depths of 50 meters. This is because the ratings guides recognize that the conditions watches are subject to at 50 meters on the wrist of a diver are quite different than the STATIC pressure the watch is exposed to in a testing chamber. One can generate equivalent pressures on a watch, AT THE SURFACE OF A POOL. Slapping one's arms agressively against the surface of the water, for example, can generate extreme pressures at critical points of the watch. Similarly, movement of one's wrist while swiming at a depth of 10 meters can alter the local pressure considerably - either increasing or decreasing the pressure experienced by the watch, according to the type and force of the movement.

This is important and absolute true

#13 FBV

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Member ID: 162

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:35 AM

interesting!

i only have 2 reps i bring into water ...

GMT II Pepsi the black sub was a no go :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Omega SMP

Posted Image

#14 imranbecks

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • Member ID: 3531

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:48 AM

I always stick to my own rule of never taking my replicas into the water.. When its time for me to go swimming in the pool or in the sea, I always wear my genuine watch which is currently the Seiko Diver SKX007K...

#15 AllergyDoc

Get off my lawn!

• Members
  • 4,764 posts
  • Member ID: 15

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:15 AM

Always safe there.

I wear my WM9 Sub.

#16 AustinTech

RWG1's lost son.

• Members
  • 2,810 posts
  • Member ID: 114

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:59 PM

I just avoid water completely. Rep or no rep.

Men put their BALLS in pool water. Balls, fellas. You go swimming in ball sweat and butt juice. nasty creatures, you all are. :thumbsup:

And the ocean, well, everything in the ocean is trying to eat you or shit on you. Ewwww.

Balls

#17 greg_r

Chief Hamster Wrangler

• Admin
  • 55,163 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:02 PM

View PostAustinTech, on Jun 1 2010, 01:59 PM, said:

Men put their BALLS in pool water. Balls, fellas. You go swimming in ball sweat and butt juice. nasty creatures, you all are. :thumbsup:

And the ocean, well, everything in the ocean is trying to eat you or shit on you. Ewwww.

Balls

I never drink water. Fish fuck in it...

#18 dingle

welcome to the jungle

• Mentor
  • 30,393 posts
  • Member ID: 1418

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:03 PM

View PostAustinTech, on Jun 1 2010, 08:59 AM, said:

Balls

Aqua-phobia methinks you have :thumbsup:

#19 ImWatchingYOU

Experienced Poster

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Member ID: 5005

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:36 PM

Anyone waterproofed a watch with a window on the back where you can see the movement?

#20 KBH

Life's a Beach!

• VIP/Supporter!
  • 6,143 posts
  • Member ID: 39

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:45 PM

View PostAustinTech, on Jun 1 2010, 08:59 AM, said:

Balls

You got it all wrong. We're eating everything in the ocean. At least trying to.

And dumping all our shit in their world.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 RWG