Sign in to follow this  
flyr

Use of cape cod before sale

flyr

(Mini rant), Sooo many MTM sales come up with the line "minor scratches, couple of minutes with a cape cod cloth will fix" It comes up on both high annd low ticket sales all the time. If this is all it will take, than DO IT before you take pictures (would you post pictures of a car you are going to sell covered in dirt, slush etc.?) I don't know about anyone else but when I see this I think the seller is lazy or not being entirely truthful,never owned a cape cod or really has no idea what a cape cod can do (miracles apparently) Thanks Guys, I feel better now!

dingle

:soapbox:

cnwh

*deleted* double post*

Edited by cnwh

cnwh

Where can I get them in Singapore? Do hardware shops sell them or jewellery stores

NCRich

Where can I get them in Singapore? Do hardware shops sell them or jewellery stores

Ace Hardware. :lol:

Lars_St

I ask myself the same thing, went to a hardware store today and they have never heard of it before?!

Trying another (bigger) store in a minute..

I agree on the statement btw, if it really is such a small fix.. fix it before the sale!

cnwh

I ask myself the same thing, went to a hardware store today and they have never heard of it before?!

Trying another (bigger) store in a minute..

I agree on the statement btw, if it really is such a small fix.. fix it before the sale!

Most hardware shops they told me they only have silver polishing cloth.

StormyNight

Totally agree with the OP.

Same when looking at cars for sale:

"No MOT but will fly through"

Yep! Bet it will too.

BentleySharp

Have you heard of this thing called 'the internet'? it's like this place, but it's not a place. It's on the computer. You can buy anything there. Check it out :D

cnwh

Have you heard of this thing called 'the internet'? it's like this place, but it's not a place. It's on the computer. You can buy anything there. Check it out :D

I know but I hate the wait. Is not like waiting 3-4 weeks for reps to arrive at doorstep is not torturing enough..

Just a question because it doesn't seem to be a popular item here in Singapore. I used to ask around whenever I visit hardware or jewellery store.

Kleen™

The RWG shop have the Cape Cod cloths. Very effective.

I actually PREFER not to have a used watch polished or rebrushed, as you can do more damage then good if you don't know what you're doing (no, it's NOTHING like washing a car...)

I'd rather have pictures of the watch in its actual condition of wear: Then I can decide myself if it is something I want to refinish or not...

Realism

people seem to forget that cape cod only works on polished surfaces too

AndyBlue

I actually PREFER not to have a used watch polished or rebrushed, as you can do more damage then good if you don't know what you're doing (no, it's NOTHING like washing a car...)

I'd rather have pictures of the watch in its actual condition of wear: Then I can decide myself if it is something I want to refinish or not...

+1

Thang

Me too

P4GTR

+1M

It is good to hear that there is no damage minor polishing/brushing can't resolve when reading pre-owned watch sales descriptions. I prefer to do my own watch work, and cape cod can wreak havoc on a watch in the wrong hands. If I'm buying your watch and you're not Ziggy, then the less you do to it before I get it into my hands the better.

ANDMAN.ELLIPSIS

Very true......

but I wouldn´t attempt anything on a watch of mine gen or rep.......

I would prefer a buyer to know the exact description.......look at the photos....and make his mind up whether to buy it or not.....

it doesn´t make me lazy... it´s just that there are people better than me at doing this stuff

and with the costs involved im not getting it done professionally ...

As for car washing.... no one but me or a professional detailer touches my car.....

I know what i´m doing there.... so I do it myself... cos I do it best and spend all day on it......

Electron17

I had the same thought, if it is so easy why not just do it before you sell. But do also agree with the other point of view where you want to see what has been done to a watch before you buy it. The one thing that does irritate me is when guys post pictures of their watch and it is dirty from wear, come on just give it a quick clean and it will look so much better. Just my 10 cents worth!

ANDMAN.ELLIPSIS

I had the same thought, if it is so easy why not just do it before you sell. But do also agree with the other point of view where you want to see what has been done to a watch before you buy it. The one thing that does irritate me is when guys post pictures of their watch and it is dirty from wear, come on just give it a quick clean and it will look so much better. Just my 10 cents worth!

agreed... that i much i will always do....clean and present to the best of my ability..... and show everything to the best it can be......

flyr

]

Good point. I hadn't thought of the potential damage that could be caused when I wrote my original post. I just wonder how many "touch up with CC " pieces are sold that really aren't.

FuzzyCoyote

Haha a good point made well.

fraggle42

Great minds think alike,, and at the same time it seems, I just posted the same rant over on RWG!

I I don't mind if people are truthful.

Minor scratch? Say so. Big scratch? Say so and price realistically.

I just saw a watch for sale that said perfect bar a few scuffs on the back, by the photo of the back you'd think they had used it as a surf board and gone down the road (exaggeration but you get the idea)! Loads of them, all the same direction on the flat of the back and the angled part of the back.

Also "movement needs $0.000000001 spent to fix, so I'll sell it for 90% of the new price" it's broken! Sell it for parts or get it fixed!

Or "C&R and i'll sell it for the same as new price cause it saves you the risk of customs!"

We're buying reps that have movements / watches assembled in dirty rooms, dials where indices may fall off, no guarantee, no internal QC. Aren't all those things a higher risk? Much more likely to happen. And someone thinks the extra customs risk justifies asking 25% more than (i consider) it should be?

Hey, who gave me the extra tall soap box? :D

I'll slink off to lurking land again now :)

LightGeek

Tag for sale. Shows minor wear. Probably buff out easily with some cape cod.

openwatches.jpg

Aren

+1M

It is good to hear that there is no damage minor polishing/brushing can't resolve when reading pre-owned watch sales descriptions. I prefer to do my own watch work, and cape cod can wreak havoc on a watch in the wrong hands. If I'm buying your watch and you're not Ziggy, then the less you do to it before I get it into my hands the better.

I agree...

Noted that the TAG Pro I got from P4GTR (as a gift for someone)...was pristine and beautifully clean.

It looked unworn and in like-new condition. I would never have been able to achieve that...stunning!

:)

flyr

Your a card Geek! (expression shows my age) :brightlight:

R1evans
Tag for sale. Shows minor wear. Probably buff out easily with some cape cod.

openwatches.jpg

Cape Cods no good,you need toothpaste for that.