Sign in to follow this  
ellistyle1

My Path, Current Collection and Wishlist (Pic Heavy)

ellistyle1

It is becomes cliche for many of us to say we're addicted to this hobby. It combines engineering, design, history, craftmanship, productivity, technology, sociology, finance and physics among many other disciplines. There is a lot to learn and many facets [sic] so if it is an addiction perhaps we're all the better for it.

I'm not sure what sparked my interest, but I began searching ebay for vintage military watches. Then I started looking at vintage Omegas. Then current Omegas. Then reps. Scam site. Shitty PO Chrono. Successful return! Google led me here. "Learn to read, noob." I read a lot, Researched my TD, my watch, the process. This was my first real one:

IMG_1007_zps7e3b10ef.jpg

Hated the crappy strap. I bought gen rubber. Stripped crown/tube. Shipped it to 10:10. Was watchless again during which time I really studied the design and lines of these little machines. In the same week I shipped the PO to 10:10 I ordered 2 new watches (showing the range of my taste and compulsion):

2013-05-13090614_zps9b7bfdaf.jpg

2013-05-08144803_zps1e95c0f7.jpg

Opposite ends of the spectrum, eh? The Archimede helped me understand 2 things--design heritage and smaller watch brands. The latter led me to Obris Morgan. So when this Nevon popped on m2m, I bit.

44f1edbf-1b49-44cf-bb9d-c5ad2d54b3a0_zpsf06385aa.jpg

Beautiful watch! The bracelet was super-chunky and I felt a bit too conspicuous wearing it. Love those divers. The Archimede made me appreciate classic styles though. I introduced myself to another TD and received these a few weeks later:

2013-07-19141821_zps87fed684.jpg

2013-07-31201009_zpsec975d54.jpg

The IWC is not initially what I picked out. It was a quick decision after TD took my money for a different watch that couldn't be supplied. No big deal--I liked it, but it just didn't work for me. Sold it m2m to HeavyKrush, who helped me gain appreciation for watch straps. He helped me resolve my Obris Morgan overly conspicuous bracelet problem:

2013-10-03164716_zps88e583ab.jpg

Perfect.

The Obris, JLC, IWC arrivals and the return from 10:10 of my original PO all occurred within a week of each other:

2013-07-31200653_zps7b8a49d0.jpg

Nice family pic. I don't believe I have ever had more than 6 at a time. I thought I was done. I realized that I enjoyed researching and anticipating receipt more than ownership of the thing. IWC went to HeavyKrush. The Botta was traded. I needed to see what the Pam thing was all about.

photo_zpsb1775bcc.jpg

The 111 was a little too big and shiny for me. I still don't quite understand Pams. I haven't found the one, I guess.

I wanted a Nomos rep. They can't be found anymore, I bought this:

2013-09-15100226_zps8f1c69a2.jpg

My "Nomos Rep Homage" Rodina

I built a hidden watch case:

IMG_1009_zps1e5cdfd8.jpg

James Bond Style:

IMG_1012_zpsfa78e66e.jpg

I found the BR02 and thought the internal bezel was novel (led to my research on compressor divers):

photo2_zps7b3b2342.jpg

I bought and sold a Marina Militare homage at some point in there too. I realized that I had a lot of money in these watches. Thus began the justification process of "more". I traded my initial grail franken PO:

Zeno006_zps2f7e802c.jpg

Great watch, but I really miss the PO now. I had more gens (albeit on the extreme low end of the term) than reps. I sold the Zeno, the Rodina, the Obris Morgan, the MM homage. Lacking an Omega, I went for a moonie and got a U1 at the same time. I forgot that I had ordered a moonie from 2 different TDs. That is what m2m is for I guess:

2014-04-25204918_zps4e9aaef2.jpg

IMG_1096_zpsbb031eb2.jpg

The U1

2014-01-02202704_zpse0cdb2eb.jpg

I put new shoes on my Bronze Pilot with the help of HeavyKrush again:

photo4_zpsb13e93d0.jpg

The strap is made from my grandfather's WWII canvas ammo bag. It's badass.

I felt I needed to pare down, AND I found THE watch having fallen in love with 2-crown compressor dive watches. Spending gen money, I didn't want to have other competing divers around. Not because of the money, but because it felt irrational for some reason. I sold the BR02 and my JLC NSD. I bought a Maurice LaCroix Pontos S Diver and a vintage Bulova hand wind dress watch to round out my collection at 4 pieces. I haven't taken a pic of the Bulova, but the Pontos:

2014-01-09221339_zpsd581011b.jpg

It is an amazing watch and AD experience was interesting. I prefer Mary and Rochest I think.

This all started just before Christmas 2012. I feel I have learned a lot in the time I've spent here. The money spent hasn't been on watches, but on an education. This site is great. Thank you guys

After 15 or so pieces passing through my hands, I feel a bit naked (and reflective--thus the post) with only 4. It is funny how these little machines become part of us.

I think I need a PO again. I already miss my JLC NSD. The next gen I buy will be a Nomos. My grails, however, would be a vintage Heuer Carrera or Autavia and Rolex 1016. When I win the lottery, I'll fly directly to the Och and Junior studio and pick up my one off moon phase.

In the meantime, my next rep will be an IWC or something with a GMT function

June '14 Update:

These are other watches that have passed through my hands. There is indeed a lot of turnover. Of those above only the Pontos and Archimede are still with me. However, shortly after I sold the JLC, I purchased another m2m.

Solebox

2014-01-24114551_zps06bcb428.jpg

CrPO 42mm

2014-03-30080357_zps742d8004.jpg

Vintage Tissot

IMG_1123_zpsa2b8d831.jpg

Rodina (black face)

photo_zps5b1e1796.jpg

Cousteau

2014-02-24203107_zps64311ce6.jpg

Portuguese

IMG_1119_zps71e1ad8d.jpg

Bulova Seaking

IMG_1079_zpsd54f9d7d.jpg

Orient

IMG_1140_zpsf6ceca78.jpg

Explorer 1016

IMG_1130_zps36f016f6.jpg

Tissot G97 Seastar

IMG_1124_zps8f8d5426.jpg

Heuer

2014-08-07073425_zps87890398.jpg

Timex Beater

IMG_1132_zpsa848893f.jpg

2014-05-22221017_zpscaded1d2.jpg

Radiomir Homage

2014-09-27103411_zps227d9279.jpg

I still miss that original PO Chrono.

nunu78

Excellent watches and great write up.

jingo.smile

Great post, thanks for the effort!

Very interesting.

Electron17

Very nice collection and a great post, well done. :thumbsup:

Black Diamond

Nice collection and history :)

machiavegli

I enjoyed reading this a lot. Nice write up, and I love the 2 crown Maurice you stuck with. Pity they never repped the 2 crown JLC NSD or that would be perfect for you

-Mach

ANDMAN.ELLIPSIS

fab write up....... IWC next sounds good to me

James.

Nice consolidation, ML looks grest

wqleow

Great story. I love how we are buying an education part. Agreed.

cogwatch

Wonderful write up. Very fun to read. You've kept an amazingly small collection compared to a lot of us. But the ones you have are great.

Have you thought about a tourbillon? With your interest in the technology, history, etc., I'm surprised that's not in your thoughts. I was kind of interested in a tourbie but hesitated at the price tag. But a beautiful Lange tourbie came up on M2M recently and at a fantastic price (thanks BigDee!!). I got it and absolutely love it. It jumped to one of my favorites the moment I got it. I don't have a good pic so I stole the pic below from BigDee's M2M listing.

Thanks again for the write up. Truly a pleasure to read!!!

e164d7ca1f3d8ab31d213aa22ec584b1_zpsae083144.jpg

jgoorn

Great story. All of these watches are really nice!

Pharmo

Great post!!

Some lovely collection.

corsa

Well done, I think a lot of us have a similar story.

Keep collecting, and more importantly having fun and enjoy yourself. After all that's what its all about isn't it?

:thumbsup2:

AndyBlue

Nicely put that man.

HeavyKrush

Fantastic write up T. I think many of us get obsessed with having every watch to run the gamut but it's certainly refreshing to see a modest collection of great watches mate. Wear 'em all in good health!

LeandroBR

Great post ! Great write up !

The archimede is a keeper ! I liked it very much.

Enjoy your collection mate ! :thumbsup2:

ellistyle1

fab write up....... IWC next sounds good to me

This one I believe:

822-iwc_portuguese_iw500107_1.jpg

Great story. I love how we are buying an education part. Agreed.

Dendo from this post said it very succinctly--I appreciated it:

"Its a hobby. Cheaper than gambling or drugs and a lot of fun and educational. The 20% is what it costs."

Fantastic write up T. I think many of us get obsessed with having every watch to run the gamut but it's certainly refreshing to see a modest collection of great watches mate. Wear 'em all in good health!

Thanks, Greg. I think had I not crossed your path with the original IWC and subsequent canvas you've made, things would be less interesting but in greater quantities. Those interactions have been a reflection on the value of this community not just the hobby.

Great post ! Great write up !

The archimede is a keeper ! I liked it very much.

Enjoy your collection mate ! :thumbsup2:

The archimede is great--I wish I could capture the patina with my crappy camera skills!

ellistyle1

I enjoyed reading this a lot. Nice write up, and I love the 2 crown Maurice you stuck with. Pity they never repped the 2 crown JLC NSD or that would be perfect for you

-Mach

Thanks--Researching the JLC heritage after buying the NSD led me to the compressors--I would love an old Memovox compressor with the 2 crowns. Awesome stuff

Nice consolidation, ML looks grest

I'm loving the Maurice Lacroix. I haven't even tried the bracelet yet--it came with cool leather nato and dig the retro feel.

Wonderful write up. Very fun to read. You've kept an amazingly small collection compared to a lot of us. But the ones you have are great.

Have you thought about a tourbillon? With your interest in the technology, history, etc., I'm surprised that's not in your thoughts. I was kind of interested in a tourbie but hesitated at the price tag. But a beautiful Lange tourbie came up on M2M recently and at a fantastic price (thanks BigDee!!). I got it and absolutely love it. It jumped to one of my favorites the moment I got it. I don't have a good pic so I stole the pic below from BigDee's M2M listing.

I have thought about a tourbillion. I haven't found the right one. I want to explore some of the simpler complications like a GMT hand or PR indicator.

Thanks for reading guys. More importantly--thanks for the education.

dingle

damn. :drool:

Nisv

2014-01-09221339_zpsd581011b.jpg

This one looks really interesting :thumbsup2:

Thanks for sharing :)

TheTinMan

I agree with you on the 'education'. It's a great way to justify this irrational habit to my wife. I've had a hard time letting go of some of my collection, but they simply don't get enough wrist time. With another two watches on their way to me, I think I'm going to have to sell three or four to make room. I think it's time to start thinning the heard. I really plan on keeping it to the 8 slot watch box, plus a separate 6 slot box for watches that have been gifted to me - I can't get rid of those as they were gifts. M2M, here I come.

ellistyle1
I agree with you on the 'education'. It's a great way to justify this irrational habit to my wife. I've had a hard time letting go of some of my collection, but they simply don't get enough wrist time. With another two watches on their way to me, I think I'm going to have to sell three or four to make room. I think it's time to start thinning the heard. I really plan on keeping it to the 8 slot watch box, plus a separate 6 slot box for watches that have been gifted to me - I can't get rid of those as they were gifts. M2M, here I come.

I'll watch out for you in m2m. More to learn, eh?

Thang

Nice collection. The Botta and Obris Morgan look very intreresting.

ellistyle1
Nice collection. The Botta and Obris Morgan look very intreresting.

They are interesting watches. Great brands.

twofake

Loved the write up. Great pictures and story thanks.

Love the Obris Morgan and all compressor divers. Some nice choices.

Really liked the Botta with the interesting dial.