Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

PAM 382 shoot-out. KW vs ZF 'lite' (+ comments on ZF A7750 version)

greg_r

I've been wanting a PAM382 ever since Panerai first announced them. I couldn't quite justify the cost of a gen (even if I could have gotten one - they only made 1,000 of them and they sold out very quickly even at 10k apiece!), which left me, like many others, wishing for a rep but wondering whether it would ever happen.

I bought one of the gold plated cheapies when they first came out, but there were too many flaws and I eventually quit wearing it (thread about it here: http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=22187)

Then, all of a sudden, we are spoilt for choice with not one, but THREE PAM 382 reps currently available. The first to arrive to market was the ZF version and now, the KW version is also shipping. Both powered by A7750s. The third version is the now notorious 'lite' 382, which is fitted with a Sea-Gull ST2555 - this caused a certain amount of controversy as one of the wholesalers ascribed its origins as KW, which Kuvarsit strenuously debunked. In his PAM guide, ALE suggests that it's sourced from ZF and, having done a comparison with a friend's 'full fat' A7750 ZF version, I can confirm that it appears to use the same case-set. Therefore this post will take a look at the general differences between these three versions, although I only have the 'lite' and the KW watches in hand for photos.

First, let's have some comparison photos. ZF 'lite' on the left in both photos, KW on the right. Sorry that the pics aren't the greatest, but I haven't had time to do the job properly - I may revisit them later.

382s_f.JPG

382s_r.JPG

Let's start with the ZF 'Lite' watch.

382lite1.jpg

382lite2.JPG

First impressions are good. The watch looks great - especially once it starts to develop a patina - the dial is, unlike the earlier cheapie, the correct colour and the whole piece generally feels heavy and well made. In common with the full-fat ZF version, there's a very slight looseness to the bezel - most noticeable when you tap it from above - but in use it stays in place and it isn't rattly enough to be annoying. As stated above, this version comes with a Sea-Gull ST2555, which brings good and bad news. Like many here I am always a little suspect of the reliability of the A7750, so a Sea-Gull movement seems like a good option, as they are usually ultra-reliable. However with that comes two issues. 1: the date window is too far from the edge of the dial. 2. the datewheel font is incorrect - it's actually rather spindly which means that these old eyes can barely see it. However, on the upside, the movement decoration is nicely done. The A7750 version of this watch doen't have these two problems.

The watch is quite well lumed - the lume is bright, although doesn't last quite as long as, say, my H-fac PAM177. It is, unfortunately, a little uneven, though - not enough to get in a snit about, but not quite as it should be. The other issue is that the colour of the indices (when not luming) isn't quite right - it should be off-white, but has a distinctly green-ish tone. Again, not enough to really be annoying, but given how good the lume is on other Panerai reps, it's less than I would have expected on a watch of this price (the same applies to the sample I've seen of the full-fat version by the way).

My final comment is on the strap (which is the same as fitted to ZF's A7750 version). First impressions when I saw it was that it looked like the gen strap. Then I made the mistake of touching it and suddenly discovered that it was made from the hide of the cardboard cow. I left it on for the purposes of the photos, but if were to wear this watch, the strap would be going in the bin and something more appropriate would be fitted. ALE in his review seems to think it's acceptable. Trust me, it ain't ;) Oddly, the strap that came with my gold plated cheapie was vastly better quality. Go figure...

Let's move over to the KW version - this came via our good friends at Marvellous Replica :)

382KW1.JPG

382KW2.JPG

Almost all of my criticisms of the two versions from ZF are absent with this watch. MR told me they reckoned it was the better rep of the two and they were right, as usual.

Initial impressions are similar. The bronze case is very nicely executed as is the dial. The strap, again, looks the part (with neater stitching than ZF's version) and, crucially, actually feels like it's made of leather. I will probably change the strap regardless, but I would happily wear this (and, in fact, am doing so as I type this). This watch also came with standard Panerai plastic 'protector' which is a nice touch.

The indices on the dial are - at least to these eyes - the correct colour and the lume is both evenly applied and bright. The date aperture is in the correct place and the datewheel font is nice and chunky as it should be (expected given the A7750 movement). It's also good to note that the bezel does not feel at all rattly on this watch, unlike the ZF version.

Overall, I have to say that the KW watch is the one to buy. Whilst I don't think you'd go too far wrong with any of the three versions currently available, the KW has the better bezel fitment, better lume, more accurately coloured indices and the better strap. Frankly, for me, it's a no brainer.

There may still be a place for the 'lite' version - which may appeal to those hesitant to buy an A7750 (I'll admit to being a little cautious about them myself). Having said that, it's not enough cheaper to live with the flaws. At $320ish it would be worth considering. At only $50 to $100 less than the KW watch (dependent on where you buy and how you pay), then I wouldn't bother. It's nice, but not really quite in the same league.

agntkerr

Great information and write up. Well done Greg

Pseudonym

Thanks for a very informative review of the current Bronzo catalogue. You have definitely swayed me when I get round to purchasing.

Thanks G!

Amit

Thanks ALE uh i mean Greg.

houndoggie

old man pubes?

:vomit:

agntkerr

old man pubes?

:lmao: I almost said it....lol

greg_r

old man pubes?

LMAO. Probably cat pubes, actually. I wiped that thing before I photographed it so it must have picked up something from the desk.

houndoggie

wonder if KW will come out with their own, proper, ST2555 version, like the 312 and it's friends. The KW 312 v2 ST2555 is great.

old man pubes?

LMAO. Probably cat pubes, actually. I wiped that thing before I photographed it so it must have picked up something from the desk.

more like you rubbed your junk on it for added "patina"

:lol:

elp

Thanks for taking the time to compare and write up. I may have to buy another watch now :facepalm:

greg_r

wonder if KW will come out with their own, proper, ST2555 version, like the 312 and it's friends. The KW 312 v2 ST2555 is great.

old man pubes?

more like you rubbed your junk on it for added "patina"

:lol:

Wrong colour for mine ;)

Left Coast Guy

Nice write-up! I got my KW 382 Monday, and wore out and about for the first time yesterday, and am absolutely smitten. Its a friggin piece of art!! I'm no lume expert but, but my bronzo is by far the brightest lume I've got on any of my reps or gens.

I think it was mentioned on another review, but the KW strap is great, but is a little stiff out of the packaging. After wearing it for a day it relaxed considerably and i was able to tighten it another notch by late last night. I'm guessing it will take a dozen wears or so, to break-in fully, and I don't have any intention of going aftermarket.

Finally, I was a little worried about the size/weight given its a big chunk of metal, but it wears really well. Feels pretty natural on the wrist and am much happier with the watch then I even hoped for.

greg_r

Nice write-up! I got my KW 382 Monday, and wore out and about for the first time yesterday, and am absolutely smitten. Its a friggin piece of art!! I'm no lume expert but, but my bronzo is by far the brightest lume I've got on any of my reps or gens.

I think it was mentioned on another review, but the KW strap is great, but is a little stiff out of the packaging. After wearing it for a day it relaxed considerably and i was able to tighten it another notch by late last night. I'm guessing it will take a dozen wears or so, to break-in fully, and I don't have any intention of going aftermarket.

Finally, I was a little worried about the size/weight given its a big chunk of metal, but it wears really well. Feels pretty natural on the wrist and am much happier with the watch then I even hoped for.

Glad you're enjoy yours. I agree about the strap.

Yes, it's heavy but surprisingly wearable. I find it more comfortable than my 187 (which is the same size) for some reason I haven't yet quite managed to quantify. I'll be wearing this watch a lot.

N.Rico

thaanks greg for the write up , it have been very usefull for me ,now i know where to buy it :thumbsup:

houndoggie

When does the copper fad start? :)

greg_r

Shortly after the pink plastic smartwatch fad?

Honestly, I don't really care that much for bronze watches in general - but the 382 is special IMNSHO

Cynikal.Mindset

so, is it worth the $100 more for the KW version?

greg_r

I thought I covered that in the original post TBH.

The only cheaper option is the lite version. It's a nice watch, but not really in the same league. The KW is the one to have IMO.

jdog

Shortly after the pink plastic smartwatch fad?

Honestly, I don't really care that much for bronze watches in general - but the 382 is special IMNSHO

Agreed Greg. Wasnt much into them until I stumbled onto your post. Def caught my eye now.

kromp

Thanks for the review. I was waiting to place an order until all the facts were in. I'll be buying a KW. Cheers!

gB.

Great info. Thanks!

:)

ALE7575

Hi Greg

Congrats, this is a very good and organized review, and it is helpful to make a decision purchasing this watch

Nice to see the KW has correct lume colour , because I have not yet received mine and I thought the KW lume was more greenish than gen.

Please confirm this point because it is very interesting

In KW version, how is the colour of the pearl, more greenish, the same or less than markers lume?

I will include this link in PAM GUIDE and will make some corrections in my statements following your indications asap

Many thanks for taking the time to make this comparison review

ALE

Del

Great review! :thumbsup2:

I do like the KW version.

Sithlord

Great review. I just got my KW 382 today and I can already tell it will be my favorite for a while. I initially thought I would clean it and start over with the patina, but nothing is splotchy, so I think I am going to leave the rep patina on it and build from there. I agonized over which version to get before deciding on the KW and luckily caught one on M2M on another forum already in the CONUS.

adaptive

Appreciate the review greg. I've been eyeing this watch for some weeks and now I think I will pull the trigger on my first PAM rep :)

Is there any shortcomings besides the lume that you mentioned? I read somewhere that the way the movement is fitted in the case isn't true to the gen?

greg_r

Hi Greg

Congrats, this is a very good and organized review, and it is helpful to make a decision purchasing this watch

Nice to see the KW has correct lume colour , because I have not yet received mine and I thought the KW lume was more greenish than gen.

Please confirm this point because it is very interesting

In KW version, how is the colour of the pearl, more greenish, the same or less than markers lume?

I will include this link in PAM GUIDE and will make some corrections in my statements following your indications asap

Many thanks for taking the time to make this comparison review

ALE

As far as comparison to gen goes, I've not seen the gen in the flesh, so won't comment on absolutes. However, the indices on the KW dial are an off-white / slightly beige-ish colour similar to the gen photos I've seen, whereas the two samples of the ZF dial I've had chance to examine (ST2555 and A7750) have had a noticeably greenish hue. The KW lume is more evenly applied, too.

The KW pearl is indeed a little too green - not really matching the dial indices as it should. It's not really obvious enough to annoy me, but YMMV