Sign in to follow this  
Ishmael

Ish's First Moonie - A Review

Ishmael

Right, so in all the years I've been collecting watches, I've never owned a Speedmaster moon watch, rep or gen. This is due to an unintentional by-product of being obsessed with vintage Daytonas. With how similar these are to vintage Daytonas, I'm surprised it never crossed my radar. Oh well, that's fixed now, and I must say I'm quite pleased with how much I like this new addition! Given that gen Speedys aren't un-gettable for a man of average means such as myself, I figured I'd give it a go with a nice rep first. So a bit of a review is in order it seems.

I got this from Tim @ WatchFinder for $240 including shipping - this was during Tim's CNY sale... I believe Toro has these for a base price of $258, so in all they're similar price-wise to a vintage Daytona. The first thing that jumped out at me upon un-boxing was the look of the dial. I believe the spacing is off compared to the gen, but as someone used to the myriad issues vintage Daytonas have with sub-dial spacing, I remain unbothered. Further, the recessed look is quite pleasing aesthetically. I think this is advertised as a "broad arrow" - I don't think this is quite accurate, as true broad arrow's have different shaped hands (experts feel free to chime in). Either way, in a 40mm case, I find the dial to be well balanced. It sports a reliable ST-19 movement - one of my favorites.

B95D3674-1F6D-414D-B401-A61589F8B572_zpszgxowkrz.jpg

The asso strap that comes mounted is rather nice - especially for a rep strap. The width at the lug ends is 19mm, so it can be interchanged with any strap that fits on a 6263 (great for me, as I have many). The Omega-branded buckle is 16mm; typical for these sized straps. Also, the rich camel color of the strap is a nice contrast with the black dial.

1FE482B2-8D08-43B3-ABF1-5A12CBC8AD0D_zpsfkrcbpej.jpg

91AA4643-2FC2-4C11-91D0-D30D032026E8_zps3awoelzd.jpg

After the dial and the strap, the next thing I noticed was the raised plexi. I've seen other Moonie models and the crystal always seems to be flush with the case. Some owners choose to replace it with a gen Omega plexi (a much better look IMO), which I understand to be reasonable in price, if you can find one. I don't know if this 40mm case would accommodate a gen plexi, but as it looks now, I don't think I'd be that motivated to replace it. They are similar in appearance to what comes standard on a vintage Daytona, and I think most would agree these plexi's to be sufficient.

C435549F-D8D9-4E5B-996F-B90873BAC2B1_zpsllbwi31y.jpg

B35CE87F-16AA-4029-901D-47461AB5D502_zpsi75r9chd.jpg

The lume isn't bad, I suppose... :)

96256F50-CC5F-43E8-89D2-AD58E9FA16ED_zpsvacjmzai.jpg

Finally, a quick wristie. The verdict is in: I love this watch!

59820E4A-F2E4-4C53-94AB-CF6B84E5B751_zpsoyboqqva.jpg

And its gen counterpart...

E1CC9508-E477-479E-9B40-4FB8887FAC25_zps4rd3bzr9.jpg

Corv99

Nice..

Enjoy it mate..I've one of these coming too..

Kleen™

Nice review, Ish...

MHardiman

F me... Damnit Ish that's beautiful! Good pick up my friend!

Jonnybaws

Cheers for the write up Ish...

Not an AP :giggle: Just kidding bud, that is lovely... lot of watch for the money!!

Enjoy :D

Ishmael

Cheers boys! Truth be told I'd forgotten I'd even ordered it. I wonder what else I ordered I've forgotten about... :D

MHardiman

I still haven't gotten my Vintona Ish!!!

Kcore

That's a beauty Ish and a nice review and pics too!

Enjoy it and wear in health.

cogwatch

Might as well just sell it to me now and get it over with :lol:

But seriously, that's a beauty Ish. I've never had an itch for one, but if you like it in the flesh I might have to add it to the list.

Enjoy it in good health until you ship it to me :rofl:

Cog

Ishmael

Might as well just sell it to me now and get it over with :lol:

But seriously, that's a beauty Ish. I've never had an itch for one, but if you like it in the flesh I might have to add it to the list.

Enjoy it in good health until you ship it to me :rofl:

Cog

Ain't THAT the truth! :giggle:

baxter

that looks very nice indeed ish ... i might be tempted :)

Hardy

Very nice pick up , luv that strap

Daywatch

Congrats, great write-up and pics. Was really curious to see this one reviewed, fine watch, I do like it:)

zaqwsxmike

Beautiful watch, and the ST19 is my favourite rep chrono movement by a mile... reliable, accurate, and full of "history" :D

Shame about the lume though

Ishmael

Beautiful watch, and the ST19 is my favourite rep chrono movement by a mile... reliable, accurate, and full of "history" :D

Shame about the lume though

Yeah the ST19 really put it over the top for me. I agree the lume isn't great, but I've never been a lume guy, so of all the issues to have to deal with, this one is the lowest on my list.

xj4sonx

great review this one is on my list to get this year....

D_Chico

Great review buddy! :thumbsup:

I've never really been much for Omegas.. But this is one I'd own!! (Along with a ploprof ;) )

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! I definitely have to agree with you about the ST-19!

If you want help with the gen crystal upgrade let me know! I have an account with startime supply and with Otto Frei (Ofrei) and they both carry gen omega crystals/plexi!

Wear it well! Cheers bud! :beer2:

Ishmael

I've never really been much for Omegas.. But this is one I'd own!! (Along with a ploprof ;) )

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! I definitely have to agree with you about the ST-19!

If you want help with the gen crystal upgrade let me know! I have an account with startime supply and with Otto Frei (Ofrei) and they both carry gen omega crystals/plexi!

Appreciate it bud thanks! Would a gen plexi fit on this case?

D_Chico

Appreciate it bud thanks! Would a gen plexi fit on this case?

No problem ;) yes it would definitely fit as long as Tim's description of it being the same as the gen is true! :lol:

R5tdi

Awesome pick up looks one of the best out of the box. Moonie's I've seen and the strap is a fantastic combo

It looks like the subdial at 6 is already frozen I've not seen that without the mod being done

Welcome to the moon club ;)

Ishmael

Awesome pick up looks one of the best out of the box. Moonie's I've seen and the strap is a fantastic combo

It looks like the subdial at 6 is already frozen I've not seen that without the mod being done

Welcome to the moon club ;)

Good point that's one thing I forgot to mention - the sub dial at six was already frozen. I've not seen that on any other Moonie rep...

Pob

Very nice review and pics! I need this one in my colection.

Now Frazzle sell me yours :)

nyckid

Great stuff, Ish. I give you props for how your taste has evolved and has become more diverse :clap:

Thanks for the review mate.

nev848

Hi Ish.

Glad you have joined the club as I love mine especially on leather.

In reference to model then it seems to be a bit of a mix. The sub dial hand at 9 does not match the ones at 6 and 3, which are Moony hands and I have never seen this mix of hands before. The hour and minute hands are similar to the pre-moon early 1960's Speedmasters, I believe there is a 1963 first watch in space (not first watch on the moon) Limited edition version that has the same hands. I'm no expert so apologise if I'm wrong.

I hope this now spurs you on to go Gen as I have :)

9393ca3138be8ee7fb8f999af405f4e3_zps99704c5c.jpg

Ishmael

Hi Ish.

Glad you have joined the club as I love mine especially on leather.

In reference to model then it seems to be a bit of a mix. The sub dial hand at 9 does not match the ones at 6 and 3, which are Moony hands and I have never seen this mix of hands before. The hour and minute hands are similar to the pre-moon early 1960's Speedmasters, I believe there is a 1963 first watch in space (not first watch on the moon) Limited edition version that has the same hands. I'm no expert so apologise if I'm wrong.

I hope this now spurs you on to go Gen as I have :)

9393ca3138be8ee7fb8f999af405f4e3_zps99704c5c.jpg

Oh wow that's lovely! And the bottle its on too :D

The last pic I posted in the review is of the gen, which, except for the sub dial spacing, appears to be the exact same watch. According to the article in which I saw it on Hodinkee, it's called the Speedmaster "First Omega In Space", inspired by the ref. 2998 worn by astronaut Wally Shirra during the Mercury Atlas 8 mission in the 1960s. The gen has the same sub dial hands (with the different hand on the 9 dial) as this rep. So from that, this appears to be a pretty close rep (except for the sub dial spacing - what else is new :P)