Sign in to follow this  
Bash64

Panerai 448 Special

Bash64

I have not done a watch review in a long time, but have been so impressed with one of my most recent purchases, I had to type a few things up. If you don’t feel like reading my drivel, skip ahead to the pics at the bottom.

First of all, let me begin by saying that I really like Panerai. I have a half dozen and they are my go to selection for almost every occasion. My 183 and 288k see a lot of wear for work (with a suit most days) and my vintage PAM’s 6152 and 6152/1 see a lot of action on the casual side. I have a Panerai on my wrist at least half the time (Seiko, the other half). I have been keeping my eyes open for a 3646 case and so when I saw Toro’s sale on the 448, I had to pull the trigger. http://www.torobravo...product_id=1349

Many of you are familiar with this watch and there are a number of sources to compare it with Gen offering. If you are interested in more detail there, ALE is your guy and you can check out his evaluation and compilation of reviews with our friends over on RWI. He describes this ZFac PAM 448 O-series fitted with a P3000 Clone2 movement. More info here if you are interested: http://www.replica-w...n-amp-Selection

As an aside, I could not catch the differences between the Z factory version 2 and the presumed better version 4 with a cursory look. I’m sure the differences exist, but it is splitting hairs for me. I’m sure someone knows and cares and will point them out, but for me V2 is great. For me, I don’t require a “AAA Swiss 1:1” replica. The “good” quality replicas are good enough for me. I have no interest in pursuing a franken build to reach closer to gen accuracy. I do however have a strong appreciation for a quality product and this watch, described as a “Super Rep” by Toro gets high marks in that department. Let me run through some of the things that stood out for me:

Dial and hands

Those of you that have spent any time over on the homage forum know the lengths that many will go to to get good blued hands. There are many tutorials on heating the raw steel just right to get that perfect blue colour. I have a set of binbin’s hands and the set on this watch are remarkably close to what is considered the ideal. They appear almost black until they catch the light just right and flash you the correct shade of blue. Though my dial has a couple of spots where the lume has bled outside the marker (Toro is generously sending me a replacement), it also is quite good. The gold minute track which often has printing issues is sharp and a good fit with the dial.

Lume

Most surprising for me, is how good a job they have done with the vintage lume. I have read other reviews on this V2 and they were not glowing ;) For me, though, I have found it to be more than adequate and consistent with my idea of what good vintage lume should be. Though not glaring when charged, it will last for hours. Not many watches in the box still have a glow at 4am, but you can pick this one out along with its Seiko neighbours. What can I say? I like lume. I’ve said it before, but I’m still maintaining a free spare room in my basement for KeNnY in case he ever wants to try out Canada.

Power reserve

Wow! We are all to used to a 40 hour reserve on the vast majority of reps. This one is described on Toro’s site as a 7 day reserve. . I assumed the 7 day reserve was a typo lifted from the Panerai’s gen catalog description. It has been 5 days since its last winding and it is still going strong. Shame on me for not taking Toro at his word. I have always thought of big power reserves as the bastion of gen watches, but no more. 7 days for the masses!! If you don’t have a handwound, 7 day power reserve, you need one. By the way, the more accurate V4 is only listed with a 3 day reserve.

Other

We are all used to lousy rep straps, but this one, though a touch cardboardy, is somewhat acceptable. I’m not embarrassed to wear it out. I definitely need to make another though. The plexiglass crystal is nice and high with a gentle dome and softened corners. Looks great and is perfect for the watch.

Conclusion

So… Super rep? I don’t know. But on sale for $238, this watch is easily one of the best values in my box and also one of my favourites. I love this style and have been collecting parts for a vintage 3646 Cali build. This watch allows me to realx. I’ll get to that build eventually, but it is no longer a panic. This watch fits that niche perfectly. If you are a fan of vintage PAM’s, you won’t be disappointed with this one.

Black hands?

Pam448%208.jpg

Or blue…

Pam448%209.jpg

Case shots

Pam448%2011.jpg

Pam448%208.jpg

Pam448%204.jpg

Pam448%205.jpg

Movement

Pam448%2015.jpg

Lume shots

Pam448%2014.jpg

Pam448%2013.jpg

Wrist shot – I think 47mm is fine on my 7” wrist

Pam448%202.jpg

norrie

Very nice. I've got the SF version and yeah, there's not a lot in it.

plankton

Very nice, the black polished hands look exceptional to say the least!

themannier

I need this one ! Congrats.

Khronos

Would really love to see if there's any noticeable difference between this one, the new one and the SF version. Great review, well done! How is that plexi in real life? Does it look worse than mineral or sapphire? Any AR at all? I never dared to order this one due to its size, but it looks just right on your wrist (mine is 7,5", so I think it would be perfect ).

KeNnY

hahaha you want me in your basement ? :lol:

:popcorn:

KeNnY

really nice watch, thanks for sharing :)

Bash64

Would really love to see if there's any noticeable difference between this one, the new one and the SF version. Great review, well done! How is that plexi in real life? Does it look worse than mineral or sapphire? Any AR at all? I never dared to order this one due to its size, but it looks just right on your wrist (mine is 7,5", so I think it would be perfect ).I

have a few with plexi - they are great - a little sensitive to scratches, but they polish out

hahaha you want me in your basement ? :lol:

:popcorn:

Free rent for lume :) Its a real nice basement. media room, walk in closet, home gym. I think you'd really like it :)

Edit: I see maybe where you are going with this. I promise no chains or latex hooded suits. Not that kind of basement :giggle:

KeNnY

Edit: I see maybe where you are going with this. I promise no chains or latex hooded suits. Not that kind of basement :giggle:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok...

jim-carrey.jpg

tzsteve

Great review, That's an amazing power reserve, lovely watch...... enjoy!

boci

Nice, thanks for the review. I caught a PAM bug but for some reason this one is not clicking with me.

Bash64

Nice, thanks for the review. I caught a PAM bug but for some reason this one is not clicking with me.

You may change your mind. Next time you're in the Eau Claire theatre and you see the softly glowing Cali dial and you can read the time from 5 rows back, you may think differently about this one.

A year ago, I thought Cali dials were also not for me. Times change. :)

ALE7575

Hi Bash

Congrats !

This is a nice and informative review

I will include this link in PAM GUIDE asap

Clarification:

Toro calls this rep as ZFac V2, but it is actually fitted with the movement P.3000 Clone4. This is the best looking P.3000 Clone so far

ALE