Sign in to follow this  
Genius

Tudor Black Bay Mini review comparison of the Aliexpress cheapie to the TD version

Genius

I already posted this in a sales feedback but thought I'd re post the comparison bit here in general so more people get a chance to read it so this is just a few notes on the Ali-Henry-21j version compared to my TD ETA version. The TD model I have is a v1 I think and my brother just got a cheapie in from the king of Ali DFQ...

Obviously the cheaper one has a lower beat movement and is not sapphire but the other things I noticed....

The colored bit the crown screws into sticks out slightly further on the cheapie.

Bracelet isnt quite the same quality feels a bit lighter and has slightly sharper edges, clasp and case case seems to be identical.

Dial difficult to compare as one is red and one blue but the printing on both is excellent as are the markers.

Hands, the actual construction of them is good on both but better quality lume application on the more expensive one. On the cheapie the hands are aligned perfectly but on my best version the hour hand is out.

The bezel is quite a big difference. The cheapie the bezel is actually tighter and feels better to the click than on mine BUT... The cheapie is 120 clicks whereas the expensive one has 60 clicks, this is tough call as to which is better just judging as a watch I would say I prefer the cheapie but the TD model is more gen like as the gen clicks 60 times...

The bezel insert itself is good on both but the pearl on the cheapie is highly domed and looks nothing like the gen.

Personally the only thing that would bug me is the lume pearl on the bezel and on the hands, pretty much everything else I could live with but as I have the better version its pretty much irrelevant. And the important thing is that my brother is happy with it for the money he spent..

If theres people wanting to see side by side photos I will try and get some done over the weekend but I'm not the best with a camera

DSC_0627_zps5hq8nylv.jpg

DSC_1065_zpsnp672ais.jpg

BanDiDo

Thanks for the review. Really appreciate that

greg_r

Interesting comparison.

I know a few folks with the 'good' one (albeit various different versions - I have no bloody clue what the difference is, but there ya go ;) ), and they seem to be a very well-built rep. Still, for half the price, the cheapie still looks pretty decent..

:thumbsup2:

MetalMickey

Thanks, this is a helpful comparison. Certainly considering the cost difference you seem to get a lot more for your money with the cheaper one, although this is true for all reps - you end up paying proportionately much more for much smaller improvements as you go up the scale!

Harkin Banks

Biggest differences I have found is that the hands on the cheapie 21J are shorter than the more expensive version and the pearl is different. The hands on the cheapie 21J stop at the markers whereas on the more expensive version the hands go over the markers like the gen. I think this is the easiest way to tell them apart.

MetalMickey

Biggest differences I have found is that the hands on the cheapie 21J are shorter than the more expensive version and the pearl is different. The hands on the cheapie 21J stop at the markers whereas on the more expensive version the hands go over the markers like the gen. I think this is the easiest way to tell them apart.

Oh yeah, so they do!

Rav747

Thank you for this. Got one for my pops.

Genius

Oh yeah, so they do!

Yeah I just noticed that too... so I don't think its really noticeable unless you have a side by side, the thing that really stands out to me is the pearl, but as my brother didn't notice it I didn't mention it to him

Harkin Banks

It is very noticeable when they are at 12, 6, 3 or 9. The hour hand should go over but it sits almost flush with the marker. Doesn't bother me but it may bother some.

. 33a3ba96831b31c7e39ce0de7efa545c.jpg

gmchris

thanks, this is really useful stuff and good that you took the time to post. A cheapie rep v quality rep v gen section would be a great reference guide.

Unfortunately I can't see many people owning all 3 versions of any particular watch unless we loan them to each other.

I have 6 cheapies to start with, feel free to send me your gens. . . . .

(it was worth a try)

chickenflex

Damn, why did you have to point out the shorter hands, now I don't see anything else :D

lexusnexus87

DFQ's red version from Ali - http://www.rwg.bz/bo...opic=98180&st=0

Hands do not appear to be shorter and pearl is not nearly as dreadful as the on the blue version pictured above.

Maybe hands are only shorter on blue and black versions?

Edited by lexusnexus87

KarmaToBurn

I just received mine (red) and the hands are shorter. The hands are also using a different color lume than the dial :(

dfq23

Did some checking. The shorter hands on the 21j seems to be common on many reps as the movements used sometimes don't have enough grunt to move longer hands.

Regarding lume there is a post next door of someone talking about QC pics allegedly of a ZF V3 from intime where the OP is saying about the lume being way out between hands and markers.

Last time I spoke to henry he said there are four factories making these now so it could be pot luck what you get from anywhere it seems as all have slight differences

Daywatch

Interesting comparison, thanks for putting it up and detailing the differences, nice job.

Harkin Banks

I think DFQs was the 2824 with the longer hands and I kind of suspected it had something to do with the movement power. So much for the ZF factory being the only game in town. I got my BB 21J for $121 shipped, still a good price if you ask me and it is slightly under 2 mins fast per week.

porschespeedster

the dial on the 21j has a thinner 'Tudor' font application.

it's nice and thick on the ETA one.

Xpletiv

Thanks very much for the comparison and posting!

Kemist

Very good comparison. Thanks for pointing those differences out!

junbug5150
I think DFQs was the 2824 with the longer hands and I kind of suspected it had something to do with the movement power. So much for the ZF factory being the only game in town. I got my BB 21J for $121 shipped, still a good price if you ask me and it is slightly under 2 mins fast per week.

Wow cheap indeed. I believe ZF version of the 21j is going for around $170-180.

Harkin Banks

And Ali just refunded me $25 for a broken crown seal so sub $100 for me on a beautiful watch.

eezm3

Got QC pics from Felix today for the cheapie $125. It is DEFINATELY not the same version as the one afq purchased. Hands are shorter, font on dial is fuzzy, not crisp, pearl is pretty bad, red part where crown screws in is sticking further out, and lume doesnt look nicely applied. I think the 2813 watch vs the 2824 watch come from different factories.

mkLcYWw.jpg

dfq23

I think there are at least 3 factories making 2813 and 2 making 2824.

I wonder if now felix is getting a load of orders he is going for the cheaper ones to make more profit

Genius

That definitely makes sense to me.

On a side note me and my brother were comparing our watches against gen photos and I think the cheapie is actually closer in the distance the coloured crown tube sticks out from the case, its too short on mine

eezm3

Yeah, I personally think the version of the QC pic I got looks like shit. Lol.