Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Another IWC Big Pilot cheapie

greg_r

Some years ago I owned an IWC BP that I bought via M2M from Del (I seem to recall that he originally bought it from Robert/PWC).

It was the working PR version and whilst I loved the look of the watch, it never really quite hit the spot. There were the usual known issues - i.e. the inaccurate placement of the PR subdial and the white DW (should be black on the 5004), but that wasn't the real problem. My issues with the watch were a: it just felt rather cheap and b: the &8!@£££ing fiddly flush pusher @8 for quick-set date, which was so bloody awkward to use that I eventually resorted to wearing the damn thing only once a month so's I didn't have to fark around with the date!

Ever since I got rid of it, I've been wanting another. The newer faux PR version was tempting - but having a non-working complication always bugs me and the known weakness in the crown tube was another issue that I wasn't sure I would be willing to deal with.

So I picked myself up a budget gen BP homage (DeTomaso Savona) and decided I'd be happy with that for a while.

Then I found a new version in the listings of an off-board dealer I've been talking to recently and decided was worth mystery shopping (one of the many who approach us wanting to be trusted here). The watch has working PR, same inaccurate DW, same Sea-Gull movement but NO fecking date pusher!!! It was also very inexpensive ($115) and I figured I'd give it a punt.

The inaccuracies were as anticipated and the rep strap is just as crap as I expected BUT the watch itself feels surprisingly good quality (much better than the previous one that I had) and quick-set date is where God intended - adjusted via the crown.

I can't whole-heartedly recommend the dealer I bought it from - who will not be joining us here - but I would imagine that our TDs can get hold of this version too - it's also available with the 5002 dial. It's not the greatest rep in the world, but for a cheapie it's not bad at all. I'll be hanging on to this one for a while until I find something better (or buy the Christopher Ward C8 Pilot).

Enough drivel. Pics!!!

IWCBP-210415.jpg

bp_car_210415.JPG

The worst part of this whole thing is that I seem to have caught the watch bug again. I managed to get away with only three watches last year. This is my third fourth already this year (which reminds me, I have another watch I need to photograph and review) and I still have two three incoming. Not to mention that I was planning to buy another gen next month :facepalm:

Gazzla

Not too shabby at all. Mineral or sapphire?

greg_r

Sapphire, surprisingly.

Gazzla

Sapphire, surprisingly.

Then that, Greg, is a nice pick-up! :clap:

micscave

I bought one similar from Turkey about 4 years ago with no date pusher but adjusted with the crown. It's a 5002 dial but with 5004 hands, very odd. It's also got 24mm lugs instead of the correct 22mm ones.

What's the lug width on yours Greg?

Mine keeps great time but I never wear it because of the hands issue.

Genius

I'm actually perfectly happy with my one with the quick set pusher although it maybe a different one than you had as it sets quite easily and the watch itself certainly doesn't feel cheap. The strap it came on was crap but the deployant buckle was really nice so I got phizzy to make me a strap for it, now the only thing that bothers me about mine is the lume, its absolutely crap! What's the lume like on that one?

greg_r

I'm actually perfectly happy with my one with the quick set pusher although it maybe a different one than you had as it sets quite easily and the watch itself certainly doesn't feel cheap. The strap it came on was crap but the deployant buckle was really nice so I got phizzy to make me a strap for it, now the only thing that bothers me about mine is the lume, its absolutely crap! What's the lume like on that one?

They may have improved - mine was from several years ago.

The lume on this one is still crap :lol:

greg_r

I bought one similar from Turkey about 4 years ago with no date pusher but adjusted with the crown. It's a 5002 dial but with 5004 hands, very odd. It's also got 24mm lugs instead of the correct 22mm ones.

What's the lug width on yours Greg?

Mine keeps great time but I never wear it because of the hands issue.

I wonder if that's the even cheaper version - I had one a couple of years back from another prospective dealer, but it, like yours, had the incorrect hands and was generally so nasty I ended up binning it.

I haven't measured lug width on this one yet, so I'll report back. I'll be replacing the rep strap asap. There's been a couple of versions with incorrect lug width - wouldn't surprise me if this isn't the same.

BadPickle

it's the little frame around the date window that floats my boat, many many, including the grey dial version i have (M2M via HWG) do not have it sadly :cry:

Not too shabby for the money pick up Greg. :D

mulder

Nice watch G

Genius

it's the little frame around the date window that floats my boat, many many, including the grey dial version i have (M2M via HWG) do not have it sadly :cry:

Bastard! Mine doesn't have it and I never noticed until you just pointed it out on greg's

BadPickle

Bastard! Mine doesn't have it and I never noticed until you just pointed it out on greg's

Throw it in the canal behind sainburys, it's a box queen from now on......... :facepalm:

Genius

Throw it in the canal behind sainburys, it's a box queen from now on......... :facepalm:

Im on my final warning for throwing crap in the canal after I dumped my ex in there :giggle:

greg_r

Just to say that I measured lug width this morning. As expected, it's incorrect - 24mm - which is going to make finding a decent strap that will fit the 18mm deployant a little more difficult than I'd hoped. Such things happen with cheapies... ;)

Genius

Just to say that I measured lug width this morning. As expected, it's incorrect - 24mm - which is going to make finding a decent strap that will fit the 18mm deployant a little more difficult than I'd hoped. Such things happen with cheapies... ;)

Drop Phizzy a PM, he made me a really nice strap for mine and pricing was very reasonable! I just sent him my old one and he made this one to the same spec.

DSC_0651_zpsb1intn4s.jpg

DSC_0654_zpslbc6mjhp.jpg

Phizzy

Nice pickup for the money that Greg. I need to get myself one of these, there's a lot around $90-$100 on good old aliexpress and I've been contemplating just pulling the trigger on one to see what they're like, guess they could even be this version.

That said, I think the 'better' version with the non working PR can be had from our TD's for $250 ish if I recall correctly.

greg_r

Nice pickup for the money that Greg. I need to get myself one of these, there's a lot around $90-$100 on good old aliexpress and I've been contemplating just pulling the trigger on one to see what they're like, guess they could even be this version.

That said, I think the 'better' version with the non working PR can be had from our TD's for $250 ish if I recall correctly.

Yup. Non-working complications bug the hell out of me, though, which is why I never got around to buying one.

Beware on Ali - there's also a lower-quality version around that's absolute crap

Phizzy

Cheers for the heads up, I'd insist on some pictures of it first but still no guarantees for sure.

Duzza

Im interested in picking up a cheap ali version as a donor for the case and tube. Mine has the usual issue of the crown not screwing down on to the tube.

kremmen

looks bettr than the bp I found on dhgate. would like someting better still tho

JBJtw

Are the watches i keep fishing out from my barge from you?!

JBJtw

Greg our of curiosity will you pm me the url of the dealer or are you not happy promoting a non TD?