Sign in to follow this  
Slim

Hello from the middle of England!

Slim

Hi there. I'm a fan of replica watches, though I've only ever owned a couple. One was a pretty bad gold-coloured Rolex fake that I bought in NY 23 years ago -it was pretty crude, with a quartz movement and a cheap plastic crystal, but I only paid about $15 dollars for it and I knew what I was buying. The other is a fake Explorer 1 bought at an open market in Hong Kong in 2001. I put a leather strap on it and it's still running perfectly, and looks pretty good!

The (perhaps) ironic thing is that I own a number of 'real' high-end watches - three IWCs, two Rolexes, a Breitling and some Omegas. I've mentioned my fondness for inexpensive fakes a few times on general watch forums, and there's nearly always a chorus of disapproval. Some people seem to equate a fake Rolex with owning a fake chequebook, as though it makes you some kind of fraud, which to my mind is nonsense and only serves to highlight the reason these people want to own nice watches in the first place - as symbols of their wealth and status.

Anyway I quite fancy something that looks like a Panerai - whether an homage or a replica I don't know yet, but I thought I'd join up to get some ideas.

Cheers!

Slim

dingle

welcome to the nuthouse. Pics of said watches would be great :lol:

Slim

Thanks for the prompt welcome :lol:

I think the old gold-coloured Rolex was binned years ago, though it might be in the loft somewhere. I can certainly oblige for the Explorer 1 lookalike, though. Will post a pic in this thread.

Luthier

Another proof, that 10 y/old 21j could be a great movement - still running!!!

Welcome to the forum!!!

greg_r

Welcome to RWG B)

Slim

As requested, a pic of the Explorer 1 fake. I removed the steel bracelet and replaced it with the original strap from my Oris Worldtimer, which I'd fitted with a navy blue Ostrich strap.

explorer_rep1.jpg

I didn't expect it to last this long, although I only wear it rarely. It gains about ten seconds a day, but since it doesn't get an outing that often I don't really care. The crystal is mineral glass.

djprone

that looks fantastic for a ten year old rep! I bet most real rolex watches aren't in that good condition at ten years old!