Sign in to follow this  
Five of Clubs

Combat Luminor Revisited

Five of Clubs

This is my first post here, but I've been lurking for months and I just wanted to say that you guys have a terrific forum and I have learned a lot from you.

Everyone here remembers the legendary Combat Luminor created by JohnG (link). This amazing watch spawned a similar creation by Avenger 007 (seen here and here). I had just joined another rep forum when I read about these watches and I was completely blown away by the skill required to create something like that. The extent of my ambition was trying to find a nice Omega rep when my daily watch died! Anyway, Avenger007 sold his version of the Combat Luminor and not long after it came back up for sale. I loved the watch JohnG built so much that I just had to have it.

However, I was a little disappointed when the watch arrived. The watch was just too minty and perfect for my taste. This watch was supposed to have survived the Battle of Dien Bien Phu, but it looked like it had never even been worn! The fantastic back-story that JohnG told had been totally lost. I wanted to fix that. I contacted a watch-smith (Katt on RWI) to disassemble the watch, then I did a vintage-job on the dial, hands, and case. I also bought a new case back and had it engraved. He then put it back together and I slapped on a Gunny strap. Below are the results. I'm very happy with it, especially since I still have no clue how to work on a watch. Thanks RWG!

100_2621.jpg

100_2602.jpg

100_2644.jpg

100_2597-1.jpg

100_2641.jpg

100_2634.jpg

100_2629.jpg

Luthier

Lurked for months, reading... and still believe in John's story???

:lol:

J/K...

greg_r

Great first post!

Congrats on an awesome-looking watch too :lol:

spboudart

Sweet!

trailboss99

Damn fine job mate. John will be honoured and 007 will be pleased to see such an effort made as well.

Bloody nice looking strap to I must say!

Col.

sconehead

looking good mate...that caseback looks to new though...

avenger007

Looks awesome, Five! Nicely done, my friend. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

pollux1

That's a damn nice watch mate, and an outstanding first post!

Five of Clubs

Hey guys - Thanks for the nice responses. I owe a special thanks to Avenger007 for building the watch. All I did was make it ugly! It's a little bizarre for me to get compliments from the people that have the watches that I spend hours looking at on this site. There really is some awesome stuff in this vintage section.

looking good mate...that caseback looks to new though...

Regarding the case back, I agree. The problem is that the engraving is very shallow, particularly for the "Vietnamese" star. On the case I lightly sanded with 220 sandpaper, then used steel wool aggresively and finished with some hand polishing. I'm afraid that if I did all that to the case back then I would lose too much of the engraving. I'm open to suggestions if you have an idea! It would look better if I could pull it off.

JohnG

Like I said at RWI, that is a FANTASTIC incarnation - the dial is awesome and the caseback is out of this world. The engraving looks great and the star is a PERFECT detail, some real thought went into this watch. Love it!

roberto

Super job, super watch buddy!

Slim
Regarding the case back, I agree. The problem is that the engraving is very shallow, particularly for the "Vietnamese" star. On the case I lightly sanded with 220 sandpaper, then used steel wool aggressively and finished with some hand polishing. I'm afraid that if I did all that to the case back then I would lose too much of the engraving. I'm open to suggestions if you have an idea! It would look better if I could pull it off.

Brilliant idea and very impressive results. I don't think the caseback would pick up scratches, but years of wear would smooth down the finish a little. If it was mine I'd probably just give it a rub with some metal polish.

Slim

ACtually, having just had a look at the back of my late '60s Seamaster - perhaps it would pick up a few scratches :)

wat44

Anyone want to build me one?

randy3y

Interesting that it is a lefty watch - it looks like to me.

I want one.

Member X

This is awesome, well done! :tease:

I am trying to get all the parts together for a similar homage to JohnG's watch too, but it won't be anywhere as near as good as this one! lol

Five of Clubs

Sorry for the late response, I didn't realize anyone had responded to the thread for a while. Maybe I should subscribe to it? :thumbsup:

I really appreciate all the positive comments about the watch. Oddly enough, it's probably my favorite watch and I wear it at least once per week. The next mod will definitely be a domed plexi though as the replacement crystal in there just doesn't look right to me. After working on this one, I have a couple more projects I would like to do. I guess I'll need to stop paying a watchsmith and order some tools!

Member X - I would be happy to share any of my methods regarding the vintage process I did, and Avenger007 did a pretty good tutorial over on RWI when he built the watch. Just PM me if you're interested.

Thanks again RWG, this forum was a huge help.

avenger007

Hey X, if I can put one of these together, you should have no problems. Big props to FoC for taking it way above my level. And thanks to JohnG for the inspiration. It's pretty cool that folks are getting this much enjoyment out of this little project. It was one of the most fun things I've done in a while.

Member X

Thanks for the offer of advice, FoC - I may well be PMing you at some point! lol I now have a couple of movements on the way, the hands and dial I need (although it's still too big :thumbsup2:) and also some lume, and a mini-fiddy case is on its way shortly...

This will probably be my first project! I'm scared! lol I think I will build it first then have a go at vintagising later, although doing it just once would be quicker... lol

We will see! :ttiwwop:

In theory, it's simple... :yoda:

solkryssare

Fuck me thats nice!

Five of Clubs

WARNING: NECROBUMP IN PROGRESS!!

I just finished putting a domed plexi on this thing and I thought I would share some new photos. It gave me an excuse to use all my new tools! I replaced the glass with a Sternkreuz HW from CousinsUK if anyone is interested. Anyway, on to the pictures:

100_2923.jpg

100_2925.jpg

100_2916.jpg

greg_r

The plexi suits it well. Beautiful watch.... :)

Five of Clubs
The plexi suits it well. Beautiful watch.... :wave:

Thanks!

zivadavis

what a great piece.....whether the way you received it, after the vintage treatment, or after the domed crystal......any version of it just is amazing

being a lefty and wearing my watch on my right wrist makes that watch even more amazing to me....i have some rep leftiy/destro pams but nothing that has the character and flavor of the luminor combat

i would love to have one made........