Sign in to follow this  
Rtman

2836 hand alignment

Rtman

I recently bought a Noob v5 116610 Sub and could use a bit of advice.

It looks great, but I've had a few problems with the movement.

When I got it the rotor was making a lot of noise, so I pulled the back off and found that the screw holding the rotor was loose. I tighten it up and it solved that problem.

Now, however, I have a date wheel problem. It starts changing the date at about 5:10 and doesn't finish until about 8:10. I have watch tools I bought here, so I was considering re-aligning the hands.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Do I have to remove the hands and re-install them so it changes at midnight, or can I just twist the hands around without removing them? Do they just friction fit, or should they "click" into place at midnight?

2. If I get the hands re-aligned to midnight, I'm assuming that it will still take 3 hours to swap the date. I really don't care, but could this be a sign that something is damaged? Should I still get it serviced?

Thanks in advance to anyone that helps out a noob with a Noob!

ROLIE

hi sounds to me that your calendar wheel is rubbing on the underside of your dial , or your calendar wheel is faulty.

would be best to have it checked over if your not to confident about doing it yourself as it can be tricky....

ROLIE

by the way don't twist the hands around either they need to be removed and refitted

BadPickle

would be best to have it checked over if your not to confident about doing it yourself as it can be tricky....

Always this^^^

Remember-- "there's many a slip twixt cup and lip " ;)

Kcore

Now, however, I have a date wheel problem. It starts changing the date at about 5:10 and doesn't finish until about 8:10. I have watch tools I bought here, so I was considering re-aligning the hands.

1. Do I have to remove the hands and re-install them so it changes at midnight, or can I just twist the hands around without removing them? Do they just friction fit, or should they "click" into place at midnight?

2. If I get the hands re-aligned to midnight, I'm assuming that it will still take 3 hours to swap the date. I really don't care, but could this be a sign that something is damaged? Should I still get it serviced?

1: NEVER, EVER twist or push the hands

2: resetting the hands to midnight for the date turnover is not hard, BUT it involves removing the movt. also simple but also removing the and replacing the crown & stem from the movt. This is where most everyone their first or even second time fuck-up and then a keyless works reset is needed. I STRONGLY suggest you read up and watch a few vids on YouTube about how to remove & replace a crown/stem. If you're comfortable doing this, the hands reset will be a walk in the park.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions but a good idea is to search these forums for answers too.

Kcore

1: NEVER, EVER twist or push the hands

2: resetting the hands to midnight for the date turnover is not hard, BUT it involves removing the movt. also simple but also removing the and replacing the crown & stem from the movt. This is where most everyone their first or even second time fuck-up and then a keyless works reset is needed. I STRONGLY suggest you read up and watch a few vids on YouTube about how to remove & replace a crown/stem. If you're comfortable doing this, the hands reset will be a walk in the park.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions but a good idea is to search these forums for answers too.

Sorry, I'm on a portable device and can't edit my post. Once you reset your hands for the midnight date flip, that's it. It won't take any more time ( not 3 hrs) to change dates. The date will change at midnight, give or take a few min. What you're thinking of is the time it takes for the date change mechanism to engage and finally changing the date.

ROLIE

read up and watch a few youtube vids as kcore said as its not to difficult to do. just take your time and im sure you'll get there....

or even give ukws a pm as they are TDs on the forum

Edited by ROLIE

Rtman

So I decided to try this out myself. I've already done a bit of work on my previous watches, so things like removing the stem really didn't scare me.

Thanks for all the advice!

I did get the hands realigned so that the date starts to change at about 11:55. Right where I like it. However, it still takes 3 hours to fully change the date. I thought maybe the date wheel was rubbing the back of the dial, so I tried it with the dial off. It still took forever to change.

This is what the date wheel looks like:

DSCN7384_zpseu3r9gne.jpg

On a Noob v5 Sub is it normal to have one date wheel overlay on top of an old overlay as shown in the picture? Are they all like that, or did I get some oddball movement and that's why the date takes forever to change?

pfcdre

no my 2836 also has the extra overlay, I think the base one is just the generic one that comes with the movnt, this has the teeth that engage, the top one is just stuck on top to match the date window on your dial, don't take the top one off if you can help it, its a pain in the ass trying to get it lined up again. good luck

Kcore
So I decided to try this out myself. I've already done a bit of work on my previous watches, so things like removing the stem really didn't scare me.

I did get the hands realigned so that the date starts to change at about 11:55. Right where I like it. However, it still takes 3 hours to fully change the date. I thought maybe the date wheel was rubbing the back of the dial, so I tried it with the dial off. It still took forever to change.

Glad to hear you didn't have any problem removing and replacing the stem. However, if you've correctly set the hands to change the date at 11:55 pm and it's still taking 3 hrs to complete, something is wrong. The date change mechanism should start to engage at approx. 8 pm and finish by changing the date and disengaging the gears completely approx. 1 am.

GenTLe

This is what the date wheel looks like:

DSCN7384_zpseu3r9gne.jpg

On a Noob v5 Sub is it normal to have one date wheel overlay on top of an old overlay as shown in the picture? Are they all like that, or did I get some oddball movement and that's why the date takes forever to change?

Mate, I really believe the problem isn't on the date wheel.

The way 2836 works is that it start to preload a spring and, when it arrives to a certain point, the spring makes the date changing wheel to "click" and the date disk suddenly flip the date.

The date MUST change instantly and cannot take more than a second.

The behavior of your movement makes me to think that there surely be a problem in the date change wheel or in the springs that acts on it.

The involved parts to be checked are the nr. 2632, 2644, 2633 and 2555.

2836-2oil2a.jpg

Better to get a fresh copy of the ETA chart from here: https://secure.eta.c...ndex=2&tabid=28 because it also shows (much better) how those parts have to be assembled and their order.

ROLIE

Hi in the pic gentle shows theres a part 2632 this has to snap the calender wheel round on a cam. If its a tight fit it would cause the problem you are having as it would seem that its binding during normal operating function ive had this problem before where its ok if you change by time setting mode but jams when in normal working mode . Even replacing both 2555 and 2632 parts are not that expensive and should cure your problem ..

Rtman

So I got brave (reckless??) and took apart the date mechanism. I removed the four parts GenTLe referred to, and I actually managed to get them back together and not lose any parts. Everything looked ok to my Noob eyes, but after I get it all back together it is still doing the same thing...

I suspect that something isn't engaging right. When I turn the crown, the date indicating driving wheel (2555) spins around and keeps moving. It seems to me that the Date unlocking yoke (2632) should hold the driving wheel mechanism in place until the unlocking yoke spring can't hold it any longer and it suddenly flips over. It's almost as if the yoke isn't holding the driving wheel and just lets it spin around.

In any case, I'm not sure what to do next.... I think I'm going to have to get this looked at by a professional....

Rtman
Hi in the pic gentle shows theres a part 2632 this has to snap the calender wheel round on a cam. If its a tight fit it would cause the problem you are having as it would seem that its binding during normal operating function ive had this problem before where its ok if you change by time setting mode but jams when in normal working mode . Even replacing both 2555 and 2632 parts are not that expensive and should cure your problem ..

Where can I order parts? Does anyone sell them on-line?

ROLIE

hi cousins uk sells them if you are in the uk ..

LightGeek

Nah. Just jump in and do it. That's how I got my start :)

Rtman
Nah. Just jump in and do it. That's how I got my start :)

I ordered part 2555 on e-bay. Couldn't find 2632, but I'll try to swap out 2555 and see what happens....

GenTLe

Where can I order parts? Does anyone sell them on-line?

Here: watch parts, branded, ETA.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/

Rtman

I found this YouTube video showing how the date change mechanism is supposed to work. Mine isn't working like this at all...

I looked at it and I think that the yoke (2632) is slipping underneith the driving wheel (2555). If I manually pull the yoke back and then gently hold down the driving wheel, it does seem to work for a revolution. If I let the pressure off the wheel, it goes back to what it was doing before. I'm going to wait for parts and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for all the help and I'll keep you all posted!

ROLIE

also check the parts list gentle sent and make sure part 2543 driving wheel is not lifting up on its pinion,

this would also give erratic change over times..

GenTLe
also check the parts list gentle sent and make sure part 2543 driving wheel is not lifting up on its pinion,

this would also give erratic change over times..

Oh yes, I had this problem with a Noob sub c... Luckily Ssteel sent me a plate for free.

GenTLe
I found this YouTube video showing how the date change mechanism is supposed to work. Mine isn't working like this at all...

I looked at it and I think that the yoke (2632) is slipping underneith the driving wheel (2555). If I manually pull the yoke back and then gently hold down the driving wheel, it does seem to work for a revolution. If I let the pressure off the wheel, it goes back to what it was doing before. I'm going to wait for parts and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for all the help and I'll keep you all posted!

Check that the 2644 is correctly placed: it is that part on one side and the part Rolie told you on the other side (2543) that are meant to keep the 2555 in place.

Rtman

So I replaced 2555 and it didn't change anything. ????

I guess I'll order some more parts and see what happens....

Rtman

So I replaced the date unlocking yoke (2632) and the date unlocking yoke spring (2633) and it now works correctly!

GenTLe

Hurra!!! :DD

Well done! :)