Sign in to follow this  
ShovelnTC

I'm developing a conscience

Bash64

Conscience aside, I believe these types of forums drive more people towards gen purchases. The rep industry ends up being a stepping stone to a gen purchase. If you think enough about a gen, you eventually buy it. That can not happen as easily without an "intermediate" rep pricepoint. We have seen it happen over and over here.

I'm with the group that says, "wear what you want." Buy the rep if you want it, and buy the gen if you want it. Ultimately the entire hobby is a support for the gen industry. One of the things I really like about here is the mix of reps and gens without judgement. I have a bunch of gens and a bunch of reps. I like them all.

If I have any issues it is with some of the gen manufacturers who used a stock $200 movement in a SS case and then charged $7000 for it (some still do). That should bother their conscience a little especially when they justify the price with marketing untruths. They made a ton of profits off that approach for many years - enough to now allow them to develop an in-house movement that actually does support a slightly higher price. At least we are paying for some R&D.

Genius
Conscience aside, I believe these types of forums drive more people towards gen purchases. The rep industry ends up being a stepping stone to a gen purchase. If you think enough about a gen, you eventually buy it. That can not happen as easily without an "intermediate" rep pricepoint. We have seen it happen over and over here.

I'm with the group that says, "wear what you want." Buy the rep if you want it, and buy the gen if you want it. Ultimately the entire hobby is a support for the gen industry. One of the things I really like about here is the mix of reps and gens without judgement. I have a bunch of gens and a bunch of reps. I like them all.

If I have any issues it is with some of the gen manufacturers who used a stock $200 movement in a SS case and then charged $7000 for it (some still do). That should bother their conscience a little especially when they justify the price with marketing untruths. They made a ton of profits off that approach for many years - enough to now allow them to develop an in-house movement that actually does support a slightly higher price. At least we are paying for some R&D.

I only really see the benefit of an in house movement if there's a good reason for it, ie if they want to make it look really pretty through a display caseback or if they want to add complications or other improvements over an off the shelf movemen.

The problem I have with this way of thinking is I started comparing my asian clone watches with the gens that they copy and the reps are high enough quality that it just isn't worth the 10x price increase to me. I seriously considered getting a gen black bay I was so impressed with the rep but I'm so impressed with the rep that I came to think FUCK YOU ROLEX I'm not paying your prices when a Chinese criminal can do it so good for a fraction of the money (apologies gen bb owners that's just my opinion) that said I do see a few gens on the horizon.....

Firstly a speedy either the reduced size auto or the proper moon watch but not because I feel guilty about Omegas profit just because the rep makers can't get them right. And then either a 2 tone sub or a gold bezel SOH and again only because I don't like gold on reps if you gonna go gold you gotta go gen!

Cannibal

Interesting thread. I got into watches the expensive way via genuine Rolex, JLC, Panerai, TAG Heuer (not in that order btw) and was appalled by people who wore fakes and spouted off on gen forums about intellectual property, diluting the brand power, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Then a close friend started taking watch making courses and eventually became a watch maker. Our conversations opened my eyes big time to just how big the mark-up is on mechanical watches. This watchmaker refuses to work on reps, btw, and has no clue I have a bunch of reps. He's still of the ideal that fake watch = fake person. To each their own.

But when I found that a basic swiss 649X movement cost around $200 and that say Panerai for example, put their own designation on the movement and marketed it as so much better than a stock 649X... when it wasn't really at all. All decoration and add-ons right out of the ETA catalogue. Hmm, so why is a Panerai base model $6-7,000 when you can buy a similar swiss powered 649X watch for under a grand? or even under $500?? Yeah, they're in the business of making money, but wow, that's a crap load of profit.

This realization turned me off gen high end brands. I still like how they look and wear, but with gens I can have more of the ones I like and can justify the prices easily. If my rep box was gen, it would have cost me over $70,000. Reps cost me maybe $2,500. Bang for buck! Enjoyment units per dollar spent... however your spin it, I sleep well at night enjoying my reps.

NFleischer
One can make the argument that buying a rep if you can't afford the gen doesn't really hurt the company, but I think it does 'dilute the

brand' somewhat. Imagine every High School guy wearing a AP LJ? It's already happened to Rolex, most in the wild are fakes, especially Subs.

The upside is, a small portion of Geeks like us end up buying Gen because we like the rep so much.

Also, there is NO valid reason for ripping off Intellectual Property, especially artistic. In that case you are often hurting an individual who's livelihood

depends on the sale of the record, book,etc.

If you actually believe this I'm wondering why you are here in this forum. It's dedicated to informing us about how to infringe on intellectual property and copyrights.

Just my opinion, from someone who owns both Gens and Reps. Also, I'm here because I like checking in with fellow watch addicts, I've been around since the beginning.

Actually, even before the great crash and the rebirth of RWG.I make the distinction between giant companies and individual artists/craftsman who have their life's

work stolen.

flyr

Every time a cheap rep jersey is worn it is free advertizing for the club.

The rep makers should send them a bill. :Thinking:

As for watches, I don't feel any pangs of conscience regarding the gen manufacturer, but I do feel a bit sorry for the guy that spent multiple thousands on a gen diver that will most likely never hit the water, when my rep looks the same and cost a few hundred. JMHO