Sign in to follow this  
DenGNNJ

My First REAL Watch - Over 30 & Still Runs...

DenGNNJ

A couple of days ago, I posted on this board that I'm a watch hoarder and I still have the very first REAL watch I ever owned. That got me thinking that I should possibly dig out that old watch and figure out if 1) I could find it ... 2) it still runs.

I bought a fresh battery and popped it in the back, runs great, and is still very accurate. It has an alarm that you set by pulling a two position secondary crown at the 2 o'clock position and turning it until arrow on the inner bezel reaches the time you want. Second position engages the bezel rotator, the first position activates the alarm, and closed turns the alarm off.

Well, I got it in the summer of 1980 shortly after my first car and my first job ... right before I became a senior in High School. I paid $65 dollars marked down from $149 with an MSRP higher than that (but I can't remember) at a chain department store called Bradlees (kind of a precursor to Walmart, only not as huge).

Anyway ... here it is.

P1000532.jpg

markturnr

Nice. I've got 3 analog Seiko alarm chronographs that I wore during HS, and all 3 have broken crystals. If I could find a place that would replace them for less than I paid for the watches when new, I'd get them repaired just for the nostalgia.