Sign in to follow this  
_DC_

THE DC REVIEW: Calatrava 5227 - 2824 vs Miyota

_DC_

My 5227g was all packaged up to go to it's new home then I remembered I'd promised to do a side by side with the new Miyota, so I whipped it back out for an hour to take a few snaps (don't worry Rod she's back in her packaging again now)!

So here's my thoughts on how the new kid compares to the old new kid, and remember the Miyota is the steel one and the 2824 is the rose gold one!!!

The first thing that was quite surprising about the Miyota version was that it is noticeably smaller than the 2824...

F06746C0-8884-4A3C-ACEB-D349ED30DBB4_zpsd2kxmcf3.jpg

F42FEC49-E2B9-4BA2-B28A-F2693E9975A8_zpsy29jci32.jpg

See what I mean?! Now for me that's a good thing coz I like small watches, but in terms of being "gen like" that's a fail since the 2824 is spot on at 39mm where the Miyota is 38mm tops (actually a smidge under)!

Not a good start then! But things do start to look up when you flip them on their side...

2FD5EC45-BF04-4E3B-BC3D-28D7CD82AD0D_zpscbyxaw5t.jpg

The Miyota is also smaller in thickness and in this case that's a big win! It's still not as slim as the gen but you wouldn't expect it to be, it is a step in the right direction though!

Speaking of smaller things, the Calatrava buckle on the new Miyota version is 16mm, it's the first Patek Calatrava rep with a correctly sized buckle (as opposed to the 18mm one on the 2824 and most other Patek reps)...

FCE7BECE-E818-4FAB-81D6-3799F006C70C_zpst19il6w9.jpg

It's a thing of beauty on both watches but being smaller does make it prettier!!

From the back there's little to tell them apart, save the quick release spring bars on the Miyota. Same brushed caseback, but of course we know it's not just a caseback don't we!! In this respect the two are very different. The 2824 went for a spring loaded arrangement which works quite nicely and opens pretty wide. It has a slight wobble to it but it's a rep so what do you expect? How does the Miyota compare? Well, some ways good some ways bad actually. It's not spring loaded, which is kinda good coz neither is the gen. It opens to an OCD pleasing 90 degrees, which being of an OCD persuasion pleases me greatly, but it also has a slight wobble to it, so I guess that's just something us Calatrava lovers will have to learn to live with regardless of version!

E95B268E-395E-4CFA-B55A-525E0D0D826B_zpsiaxcfzk8.jpg

4C629CED-2791-4AB2-B406-1F06D4C300AB_zps1tfi51mq.jpg

What I will say for the Miyota version is the case integration of the hinge is a lot tidier...

E74E8EF8-D2D3-40CE-8EEF-12ABB252ABE6_zps3hjiaecz.jpg

... and the mirror polish inside the dust cover itself gives that wonderful reflection of the movement, as well as a perfect canvas for engraving a special message (mine will soon be sporting the date of my impending nuptials...

D06C3D77-FC85-4526-B1F7-464A6C34644A_zpsvkdprgjt.jpg

When it comes to the movement, I don't need to wax lyrical about the differences between the two, suffice to say if I had a choice I'd choose a 2824 movement every time, as the Miyota is noisy, but we can't always have everything we want. The Miyota is a good looking movement, but spins too freely. It's super smooth and super compact, which helps keep the watch slim, so it's not all bad.

Next up the dial, not much between the two here, the dial print is slimmer on the Miyota...

29F4AEEF-E141-4B9E-9721-A27EC64B491A_zpshwnouspk.jpg

But the bigger difference is the DWO, they got the font right second time around. It doesn't really notice on the 2824 because it's not something you really look for on a daily basis, but the font is wrong, so that's another point for the Miyota...

91D8FAAA-EC32-4D81-ABDA-9ECEBE84FCD4_zpsdub3okyd.jpg

Speaking of the dial, the last thing I want to point out which is very noticeable about the watch and gives a very different "look" to it versus the 2824 is the dial hight. Check these pics...

0BB489DF-2F53-4E20-9DEA-161852346105_zpsyuiadctn.jpg

C5EE1BA5-34E9-4B7B-A805-9BA10D78798F_zps6behlec6.jpg

77B15733-C5C8-49E1-8664-08B434BF499C_zpsdzjltx7r.jpg

You see it? The dial on the Miyota looks like it sits right up against the crystal, I like it. Neither Miyota nor 2824 get the dial hight quite right, but I do prefer the Miyota, hard to put my finger on but it makes it look more substantial in some way, more expensive even?!?

So there you have it, two great reps, in many ways it's the same situation as with the Nautilus, the case finish and details are better on the Miyota but the trade off is that loud whirring noise from the movement itself. Some will prefer to stick with the 2824 for the movement alone, or if they have larger wrists for it's case size, but me, I'm quite content to put up with the noise in return for the aesthetics!!

Hope it's been interesting, feel free to chip in with your opinions!!

DC

Daytona_Dreamer

Excellent review DC. Thank you for the detail here. Very nice pictures to illustrate the direction of the new version.

Stewart

Such a classic beautiful design. I love them both. Thanks for the review, very informative.

Gmtaddict

Once again, at a time when I though about selling all mines, your review makes me want a new Patek!

I'll never free myself....

Martijn0007

Great review Dave.

I can't really put my finger on why, but I really like the miyota version way more.

It seems more balanced

BenjaminButton

Precise and clear.

So very clearly you should work for PP.....obviously removing any record of all this malarkey!

_DC_
Once again, at a time when I though about selling all mines, your review makes me want a new Patek!

I'll never free myself....

Haha sorry mate, you need to hold onto that 5711g until at least I have the money to take it off your hands anyway ;)

DC

_DC_
Great review Dave.

I can't really put my finger on why, but I really like the miyota version way more.

It seems more balanced

I'm still a little torn, I don't regret getting the Miyota not do I regret selling the 2824, but both a great reps, just in different ways. I think on balance I agree with you, the Miyota is my preference!

DC

_DC_
Precise and clear.

So very clearly you should work for PP.....obviously removing any record of all this malarkey!

Haha, yes I suspect they would frown upon my current rep habit, albeit very focused on their wonderful brand!

DC

Robin195959

Great review of a great watch.

Retina

thanks for the great review again DC, i do like the miyota version due to its smaller case size...

digger2

Great review, after reading this I would go for the miyota if I should buy one, thickness is the most important reason for me

lef808

Thanks again for such a great review! Sincerely appreciate the thoroughness!

Would you say the dial print is more accurate to the gen on the Miyota or the 2824?

Kleen™

Nice comparo, Dave.

It will be the Miyota for me....

_DC_
Thanks again for such a great review! Sincerely appreciate the thoroughness!

Would you say the dial print is more accurate to the gen on the Miyota or the 2824?

Honestly? I've not met the gen in person yet but based on reference pics I'd say the 2824 print is slightly too thick and the Miyota print is slightly too thin, if that helps at all?

DC

budfox1028

Nice review Dave! Looking forward to your review on the 5130!

Godfathar

Bravo DC,

I was waiting for this for a while.. Great review as usual..

now when is the Black Dial with correct DW version coming out?

5227_G_010.png

_DC_
Bravo DC,

I was waiting for this for a while.. Great review as usual..

now when is the Black Dial with correct DW version coming out?

5227_G_010.png

Judging by the fact that it's been released for two months now and if you google search "5227 black dial" it doesn't come up, and even if you put it's full title "5227-010" all you get is the CG picture you've posted here, I'd say it's not proving that popular and probably won't be repped properly any time soon.

But I could be wrong!

DC

Godfathar

very valid point DC..

but I hope because it's just been out, even chrono24 don't have it for sale.. perhaps it takes a bit longer to have it out.. (that shows you I have high hopes :) )

Laz730

This watch has not been launched to the public yet...The price is the only thing that has been released.

_DC_
This watch has not been launched to the public yet...The price is the only thing that has been released.

That explains it!!

DC

Laz730

That explains it!!

DC

From what I'm told they will be released this summer..I'm sure they will start popping up at AD's sometime in June. And as always great view DC! And congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!

parisianshut

after your review , i just changed my mind and did not ordered the PAM 336 but this patek 5227 in rose gold miyota version.

thank you!!

Colinthomas
after your review , i just changed my mind and did not ordered the PAM 336 but this patek 5227 in rose gold miyota version.

thank you!!

My thoughts exactly

Godfathar

Hi DC.. My patience had run out waiting for the black dial, and couldn't resist a great deal on a neighboring forum. got this baby with a gen strap few days ago. great deal, I practically only paid for the watch and shipping in EU and got the authentic PP strap free..

20150803_140135_01.jpg