Sign in to follow this  
deroya

Is this a real or fake Rolex?

deroya

So these are the not so great pics offered to me by the seller. I know a decent amount about this watch, the Rolex Explorer 1 36mm ref 114270, however the pictures aren't selling it to me just yet. A little background i can steal this watch off this guy (originally asking 3500, could possibly get it for much less) however its a shipping kind of deal and i need to go with my gut and roll the dice. Either way id be covered under pay pals policy and everything. It has no box or papers (inherited piece apparently), which is why I am weary on this one. I recently bought a tag carrera 16 day off a guy online going by pics but he had all the stuff to go with it.

-Backing sticker looks gen, going by the holographic stickers and online referencing. holographic + black text for certain years.

-One thing that scares me is the lume is green. I was under the impression the lume was a bluer color for these. not 100% sure and its a weird one to find online.

However lume placement is correct, nonlume on the 3, 6, and 9

-bracelet clasp and dial look correct.

-crown looks nice and sharply edged, as well as material looks to be correct.

-Also the higher raised crystal is a gen feature of this watch. My reps crystal is not raised as high.

What do you guys think. Im not looking for criticism here for my choices buying online from a non-trusted seller. I do this often and am willing to take the risk given the evidence of the watch supports a gen model and the price is right. I do it a lot for resale watches however this will be one ill probably keep forever because i love this watch also have it in rep. Apologize for the poor quality pictures, click to enlarge.

Thanks

IMG_3874.jpg

IMG_3875.jpg

IMG_3876.jpg

IMG_3877.jpg

IMG_3878.jpg

IMG_3879.jpg

IMG_3880.jpg

Edited by deroya

fatarms

Fake as hell, look at the LEC in the pic with the flash.

rawbaws

Just look at the Lume application. Horrible

RussP

Isn't it supposed to have the laser etched crown?

fatarms

Look at the Rolex crown printed on the dial, the fonts used on the dial.

Compare to this:

rolex-explorer-114270-07.jpg

fatarms

Isn't it supposed to have the laser etched crown?

Yes and it shouldn't be anywhere near that visible. That's one of the main tells for the reps we buy, only recently have they gone with a much less prominent, harder to see LEC.

BC1221

it looks like somebody painted that dial with a dot matrix.

fatarms

Just look at the Lume application. Horrible

Yep, look at the difference in thickness alone.

P8233302_zpsd756ce44.jpg

RussP

it looks like somebody painted that dial with a dot matrix.

Your avatar is mesmerising........

deroya

Wow, this is all great input which i really appreciate. the pics are so bad it was difficult to tell for me. blurry etc

fatarms

Wow, this is all great input which i really appreciate. the pics are so bad it was difficult to tell for me. blurry etc

That could be on purpose. The most telling pic is the one with the flash, actually.

RUSH2112

Is it even possible to take worse photos?

deroya

Is it even possible to take worse photos?

Thats what I'm saying. I am 50/50 on it just because the photos are so bad i usually have a pretty good eye.

Edited by deroya

trailboss99

Na, fake as fake can be mate.

deroya

I appreciate that. I am trying to get him to send me better pictures and perhaps a video so i can see the movement etc, i really want it to be real bc of the price i can get it for. But hey usually if things are too good to be true, they usually are. Keep in mind poor quality pictures VS promotional high def rolex pictures are going to look way off all day. ill keep updated.

Edited by deroya

Stewart

In my opinion, knowing what I have learned from RWG, I would not purchase a high end gen (basically anything that is replicated) without close personal inspection, a guarantee from a authorized retailer, or both.

I would consider buying any Rolex based on pictures alone very risky, and those are very poor pictures.

Mach25

Looks fake to me too.... And Ive seen better fakes and own one. Could always ask for a photo of serial number behind the end link and run it through Rolex web site. Best to steer clear. If its real, he can put better pics up.

jakeg05

Real in a parallel universe

Vreds

I appreciate that. I am trying to get him to send me better pictures and perhaps a video so i can see the movement etc, i really want it to be real bc of the price i can get it for. But hey usually if things are too good to be true, they usually are. Keep in mind poor quality pictures VS promotional high def rolex pictures are going to look way off all day. ill keep updated.

Meh I wouldn't bother. That LEC is horrible.

deju

Geez that lume is sloppy as hell!

myaz

I am trying to get him to send me better pictures and perhaps a video so i can see the movement etc, i really want it to be real bc of the price i can get it for.

Gotta be blunt here. It's not a gen, no matter how much you desperately want it to be. As per wreds, let it go, or you have comprehension fail.

edit: damn autocorrect misspelled wreds

Duzza

OP wants it to be a gen. It isn't. It's a shit Canal St piece of crap.

simonbolivar

It's not even a good replica, bordering on canal street crap. Check the 18k stamps on the back in photo showing the case back.

Realism

OP wants it to be a gen. It isn't. It's a shit Canal St piece of crap.

he thought he could get a killer deal... used gens are a zero sum game... there's so many sources to derive values from (WUS, TRF, Chrono24, Watchrecon, TZ)

black263

Have a close look at the fit of the end links against the watch case, and compare the corners with this.

rolex-explorer-i-ref.-114270-stainless-steel-bj.-2003.-2003-d_zpsja5n3gau.jpg