Godfathar

The "What Patek Philippe are you wearing today?" Thread

Godfathar
Well lookie here.. this arrived today from KeNny :D

Looks superb mate, should get mine done but it's also got an issue with the crown not screwing down and I don't know if that can be fixed so haven't been wanting to spend money on it!

What were the mods (other than the obvious chrono hand whitening)?

DC

I noticed today when I unscrewed the crown to set the time that it was a bit flimsy.. so I took extra extra care with it, I realized it will need special care more than my other reps in that department..

Actually the chrono hand and also I asked him to paint in the middle of the holding points for those hands, as they looked a bit cheap when I got the watch.

image.jpg

Of course since it's with KeNny, relume is a must..

IMG_20160110_222556.jpg

And he found so much greasy fingerprints on the dial and hands that he cleaned up, plus fixed an issue with the date as it wasn't flipping right, this I didn't realize until the watch was with him and opened, and he saw the problem and told me, he actually sent me a video of the problem and the fix..

That is really rather nice ;)

Many thanks buddy, the credit goes to the Master, KeNny :)

JSJ

20160121_084641_01_resized.jpg

20160121_085247_03_01.jpg

believe me, those mods seem so insignificant.. but I swear, the watch has gone to a whole new level of accuracy.. great job KeNny..

Looks superb mate, should get mine done but it's also got an issue with the crown not screwing down and I don't know if that can be fixed so haven't been wanting to spend money on it!

What were the mods (other than the obvious chrono hand whitening)?

DC

Have you tried nipping the crown tube with long-nosed pliers? It works very well for example on a PO but I've never tried it on a Patek.

jakethemouse

believe me, those mods seem so insignificant.. but I swear, the watch has gone to a whole new level of accuracy.. great job KeNny..

I can't stop looking at it. The changes make such a big difference.

_DC_

^^ I'm not sure I know what you mean but willing to try, can you elaborate? Basically it seems like the thread on the crown won't engage so the crown just pops back out!!

DC

Godfathar

I can't stop looking at it. The changes make such a big difference.

I swear.. this small mod has changed the watch for me. I have been staring at it all day, all night :)

20160122_124952_01.jpg

damocles123

I can finally participate here, my new Natulius came with the correct hands, no mods!

CRDWXqa.jpg

JSJ

^^ I'm not sure I know what you mean but willing to try, can you elaborate? Basically it seems like the thread on the crown won't engage so the crown just pops back out!!

DC

Yes, on a PO, or other watches which have the issue you describe:

find a pair of long-nose pliers. Cheap ones from the market are fine. Only a couple of quid.

Pull the crown out to the time-setting position.

Gently put the nose onto the crown tube and squeeze. Only a touch. The tubes are soft. Screw the crown in and see if it feels better. If it does, judge whether you can have another nip at it, probably try at 90 degrees from the first go.

If you can't fit the pliers into the gap, you need to take the caseback off and remove the stem, then you can do it more easily of course.

Let me take a couple of pics. I don't have a Patek though... :boxedin::salute:

JSJ

Desecration by Titanium...

2d54fe195ce944a301363531000189db.jpg

c970740950dda677768dfb7ffebcc7be.jpg

_DC_

Ah I get it, so it slightly deforms the tube making it engage. Worth a go I guess, can't get any worse!

DC

BenjaminButton
Ah I get it, so it slightly deforms the tube making it engage. Worth a go I guess, can't get any worse!

DC

I did it in my PO and it's exactly as you say - you're simply deforming the tube so the thread in the crown grabs when you wind the crown back in. However it did get worse and I think it's to do with the fact you're not really unwinding the thread to release it when you want to change the time... You're more un-jamming the crown from a squashed tube. Too much force is required on a delicate stem. My PO now sits unworn in the draw of shame. Only wore it 3 times! :)

However I'm aware it's worked for others so.....

JSJ

DC

I did it in my PO and it's exactly as you say - you're simply deforming the tube so the thread in the crown grabs when you wind the crown back in. However it did get worse and I think it's to do with the fact you're not really unwinding the thread to release it when you want to change the time... You're more un-jamming the crown from a squashed tube. Too much force is required on a delicate stem. My PO now sits unworn in the draw of shame. Only wore it 3 times! :)

However I'm aware it's worked for others so.....

Yes, that's why I start with a small amount and repeat a few times at different angles, trying the crown between each time.

I did it to several watches and they have never stripped again. The thread on the crown will cut a deeper thread into the tube. You are not unjamming anything when you unscrew the crown. Mine screw in and out like they should. I would do it again if necessary but it has not been necessary.

Obviously if you crush the tube and then force the crown in there will be other effects, some of which will potentially cause trouble.

I have indeed seen watches from M2M which have had such attention. The casebacks sometimes look like they have been removed with a chisel too.

BenjaminButton

As I said it has worked for others. Probably more patient and skilled than me. Mine didn't and I was un-jamming rather than cutting a new deeper thread and it working. Your advice is good, very good and the gentle squeezing from different angles is a key bit of advice. We are not all created with equal dexterity when it comes to squeezing tubes. Just a word of caution from an example where it didn't work, it just made it worse.

EDIT. so that was my tit for tat RWG response but now I've had a cuppa I'm thinking I need to get that PO out of the draw of shame and give it another go JSJ. :)

And a pic of a patek so this thread isn't completely derailed!

f887973b68a4ada732da65ced631e716.jpg

JSJ
As I said it has worked for others. Probably more patient and skilled than me. Mine didn't and I was un-jamming rather than cutting a new deeper thread and it working. Your advice is good, very good and the gentle squeezing from different angles is a key bit of advice. We are not all created with equal dexterity when it comes to squeezing tubes. Just a word of caution from an example where it didn't work, it just made it worse.

EDIT. so that was my tit for tat RWG response but now I've had a cuppa I'm thinking I need to get that PO out of the draw of shame and give it another go JSJ. :)

I thought we 'knew' each other well enough for me to imply you were a butcher, ruining watches with your cold chisel :giggle:. No offence intended. I've fucked up enough watches, be sure of it.

Yeah, give it a go but imagine it's tender and have 5 gentle goes instead of one huge one.

And sorry to divert a great thread. Hope you guys fix your tubes.

BenjaminButton

I thought we 'knew' each other well enough for me to imply you were a butcher, ruining watches with your cold chisel :giggle:. No offence intended. I've fucked up enough watches, be sure of it.

Yeah, give it a go but imagine it's tender and have 5 gentle goes instead of one huge one.

And sorry to divert a great thread. Hope you guys fix your tubes.

I really must remember how touchy I can be first thing in the morning. :)

Butcher Ben.... I hope that's not my new monika! :) :)

KeNnY

Looking great buddy ! :)

and happy all arrived well and sound ! Looks great on your wrist :)

thanks again for being part of this great transformation, and for your kind words :) and also all that you like it.

_DC_

^^ This was the catalyst for my deciding to get the 5370 modded Matej, great work and came highly recommended by Godfather (not that I doubted you for a second)!

The 5370 should arrive in a few days so will let you know when it's here and get the ball rolling :)

DC

_DC_

This just in...

EB8DDB4C-CEE6-4982-8FF5-3B72A3FA7F8F_zpsatnijk3l.jpg

DC

Godfathar
This just in...

DC

More more picsssss :D

_DC_
This just in...

DC

More more picsssss :D

If I could get the bloody photobucket app to work I'd post a whole bunch! Is anyone else having issues with it? It takes ages then uploads several duplicates but still thinks it hasn't uploaded so carries on, and you can't cancel the upload!!!

Grrrr!!

DC

_DC_
IMG_3859_zpsonhbp89f.png

Interesting, looks like a 5270, care to share specs?!? Especially case size and where you got it :P!!!

DC

damocles123

Looking silvery tonight ;)

ab52fcd720f0a0b53088748c7264788d.png

Godfathar

wore it solid for a whole week.. frankly, I can't get enough of it, usually by Friday, I am ready to change my watch, but this one, I can't stop looking at it.. Happy weekend everyone :)

20160129_111144_01_resized.jpg

Bidle

Hi guys,

Anyone who would like to measure the thickness in mm for the 5711. Am i right that also the bezel is thicker than the original?

Thx in advance!

_DC_

Spending the day with this absolute stunner (on newly received Camille Fournet strap) before I post it off to KeNnY for mods. Will miss it a lot, this is one very serious feeling watch...

45C28D06-1644-4FC8-96B5-F7A225ABD801_zpsctuo94g9.jpg

DC