Sign in to follow this  
pimlico

PAM441, PAM183, and PAM510 Review

pimlico

Hi all,

I'm new to the world of Panerai. Wanted to give a review from a newbie's point of view. First off I love the styling of Panerai and definitely got the Panerai bug. I thought it would be a great gift for my wife and I, so I ordered a PAM183 (for her) and a PAM510 for me. I didn't quite realize how large these watches are. She's petite and the PAM183 dwarfed her wrist and she didn't like it.

To my disappointment both the PAM183 and PAM510 had winding issues. The PAM183 started to pop/click a lot as you wound it; it eventually wouldn't wind up and would only run for 30 minutes. The PAM510 was fully wound, but it wouldn't properly wind down. It would get stuck and stop moving. I just gave up and sent the PAM510 back to the TD for repair. I held on to the PAM183 for a bit. Finally got frustrated and fixed it myself, not knowing anything about watch repair. See my repair thread at http://www.rwg.bz/bo...howtopic=102328. The summary is that a plate was loose because the screw wasn't tight. Such a disappointment for a brand new watch from a TD. It took about 7 weeks between the TD, factory, and shipping back to the US. The TD said the factory found some loose screws and corrected it.

As of today both the PAM183 and PAM510 are working very well after they've been repaired. The PAM183 will pop every so often if you wind it quickly, however if you take your time, it doesn't pop. As a backup plan I ordered a $49 A6497 movement from eBay to repair it in the future. The PAM510 seems to be working out quite well.

The only thing I don't like about the PAM183 and PAM510 is that they are a manual wind watch. I ran across the automatic movements and the new ceramic super rep from n00b and I knew I had to give it a try. I ordered the PAM441 and it arrived in about 5 days.

In summary I was disappointed with the factory issues of the PAM183 and PAM510. I'm not sure which factory they came from, I need to check. So far the PAM441 is the best out of the bunch. Works great. The detail and craftsmanship of the cases are excellent for all of the watches. Only complaint is that the default straps are very poor quality, but that's to be expected at these price points. I would much prefer to order these watches without the strap for a cheaper price, because I always end up replacing the strap anyway.

Here is my Panerai family. PAM441, PAM183, and PAM510 from left to right.

m0qxdRNh.jpg

Edited by pimlico

mysterio

Well, you said it. A review from a newbie's point of view. Classic example of why you should do your research before buying anything. Saves yourself some disappointment in the future. The PAM183 wasn't released by any significant factory. The PAM510 was only made by V6F/KW and the PAM441 wasn't made by Noob but by V6F/KW or ZF (the ceramic version). As for the watchband website, I find it rather suspicious using the same packaging for several straps, so you could have paid all that money for nothing.

TDs won't sell you watches without straps even if you don't plan to use them (or at least expect a discount from the TD if you don't ask for the straps).

Colinthomas

Sorry for your bad choices of watches.

Arj

watchband website straps don't look very Gen to me and less than $300 including the buckle hm...

Maybe someone more familiar can have a look at it and judge

pimlico

Well, you said it. A review from a newbie's point of view. Classic example of why you should do your research before buying anything. Saves yourself some disappointment in the future. The PAM183 wasn't released by any significant factory. The PAM510 was only made by V6F/KW and the PAM441 wasn't made by Noob but by V6F/KW or ZF (the ceramic version). As for the watchband website, I find it rather suspicious using the same packaging for several straps, so you could have paid all that money for nothing.

TDs won't sell you watches without straps even if you don't plan to use them (or at least expect a discount from the TD if you don't ask for the straps).

I'm not sure what you're saying. I know that V6F and Noob make excellent watches. What's your point?

I got the PAM441 from KW. It's an amazing watch and it's real ceramic.

pimlico
watchband website straps don't look very Gen to me and less than $300 including the buckle hm...

Maybe someone more familiar can have a look at it and judge

Just verified that watchbandsource.com is a complete scam!!

Opened a case with PayPal and got a refund!!

Any recommendations where to get a nice calf strap with black deployant buckle?

mysterio

I'm not sure what you're saying. I know that V6F and Noob make excellent watches. What's your point?

Since you said you did not know the factories that made the watches, I was mentioning which factory made which watch. All factories make great watches, not only V6F and Noob. You just have to do your research.

As for the 441, you mentioned

I ran across the automatic movements and the new ceramic super rep from n00b and I knew I had to give it a try. I ordered the PAM441 and it arrived in about 5 days.

That's why I mentioned the PAM441 is not made by Noob but by KW/V6F.

Some points from your review and subsequent posts:

1.) You said you did not know what factories made the watches you ordered.

2.) You don't like manual winds yet you ordered them.

3.) You did not know that the PAMs you ordered were larger than you realized.

4.) You paid gen prices for rep straps from a scam site.

My point :

These things you could have found out by doing some research. But newbie's tend to forget that bit.

Khronos

Well said mysterio.

Dude, do some reading! Yes, Noob is known for making great watches, but the 441 is not one of them. For a strap try Kain , Gunny or our finest JohnG from Nero straps.

UmpaHimself

Eh, I think you did alright your first time out. I think maybe a little over excited and could have done some research, yes. It's unfortunate that you've had these problems but to be honest they seemed pretty painless. I've had to have things corrected on most of my watches over the years. The factories just don't give it the care that it really deserves but once set right things tend to work smooth, so just anticipate that as the norm to some extent. Also, give the manual winds a chance. I prefer them, they can take a beating with out a rotor spinning all crazy.

Check out the 512 and 337 for some 42mm size cases that would probably fit your wife much better. They are both fairly recent releases and fantastic! Also, not so sure about that strap website either. Their office is local to me but they wouldn't let me come down, they say the straps are drop shipped from who knows where. Try the Paneristi forum for gen straps, usually better prices too. I've seen Asso straps go for closer to $200 then $300. Yours does look a bit more yellow then brown like the gens I'm accustomed too but it may just be a different model as they do have variations.

Anyways, take your time and check out some of the wrist check threads. Do a bit more research and I'm sure you'll find everything you need to have a great collection.

pimlico

Since you said you did not know the factories that made the watches, I was mentioning which factory made which watch. All factories make great watches, not only V6F and Noob. You just have to do your research.

As for the 441, you mentioned

I ran across the automatic movements and the new ceramic super rep from n00b and I knew I had to give it a try. I ordered the PAM441 and it arrived in about 5 days.

That's why I mentioned the PAM441 is not made by Noob but by KW/V6F.

Some points from your review and subsequent posts:

1.) You said you did not know what factories made the watches you ordered.

2.) You don't like manual winds yet you ordered them.

3.) You did not know that the PAMs you ordered were larger than you realized.

4.) You paid gen prices for rep straps from a scam site.

My point :

These things you could have found out by doing some research. But newbie's tend to forget that bit.

Sorry I messed up. I for my PAM441 from kingwatch (http://www.kingwatch.asia/goods.php?id=7745). It's the V6F!

Stone Mountain

That Radiomir is absolutely stunning!

aldo_watch

The 510 is so nice. It looks like a gen... for sure. I know very well that model... Wich model of strap do you use there?